The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Wild West Show - Jim's Shaving Journal

Just back to work after a weeklong vacation for the holiday. It has been a whirlwind, fellas.

My youngest son is going though some typical teenage growing pains, coupled with his own struggle with depression and trying to find out who he is. He was over for the week and on Tuesday night we got into a discussion about how the things we plan to do with him will not happen if he doesn’t take a shower. This turned into him saying some hurtful things to SWMBO (his stepmom), followed by him realizing how much he had hurt her even though he loves her a lot, followed by him being unable to handle his guilt and emotions and asking his grandfather to pick him up. I tried to convince him that he could work though things without running away and avoiding them (something all four parents have been trying to accomplish with family therapy), but then he spoke to his mom who demanded he come home, despite what we had all agreed upon. I was left to commiserate with my wife, and we decided that we would head to my mom’s house (4 hours away) on Thursday instead of Friday as we originally planned.

Well, we had a great time visiting my mom, coupled with some fun activities (brewery stops) with SWMBO. And to top it off, I had discovered that the Family Dollar up there was selling the 7.5oz bottles of Florida Water for about $3.50. Suffice to say I cleaned out the two stores that had it in stock. So now I am fully stocked on a great summer splash (I freaking need it with this heat and humidity).

Shave wise, I am still leaning heavily on my Asylum RX SE. I cannot give it up for anything else at this point because the shaves are just too good, no matter what soap I go with. I did try to go back to my badger brush for one shave, but after using synthetics for so long I was disappointed with the lather it produced. Too much air. I guess I lost my touch with the synths doing most of the work.

Any who, I hope all you gentlemen have a great week!

Sorry to hear about your struggles with your son.

On the shaving side, sounds like you've found your groove with the Asylum and synth brushes - nice.

Sorry to hear about the rough evening with your son. It sounds like you had a great time on Thursday, and congrats on the Florida Water find.

Sometimes it's rough dealing with co-parenting between 4 different people. I'm doing it now and we've had our ups and downs with it, but hopefully you guys can get on the same page. It took us a little while but we eventually got there and aside from a small hiccup recently, it's been smooth between my wife and I and her ex and his wife.

Sorry about the rough patch with the boy. Parenting ain’t for the faint hearted, that’s for sure!

Suffice to say I cleaned out the two stores that had it in stock.
TSC Florida Water Dealer in the making!

Thanks for the support, guys. Even though I've been dark for awhile it is very encouraging to come back and see the friendly faces.

TSC Florida Water Dealer in the making!

Aw nah, I am keeping these for myself, minus the bottles I will be giving to my barber since he mentioned how much he loves the stuff!

Sorry Jim...those teenage years can be rough on everyone involved. I am sure he will find his way.

Sounds a lot like me when I was a teenager. It's not easy growing up, but it would've been nice to have my old man around. Keep trying, it's not easy, but it's worth it.

I started using a good synthetic (Muhle 22mm STF) 2-3 years ago and haven't had the desire to use anything else. I'm not a collector - just appreciate good tools. :)

Sometimes it's rough dealing with co-parenting between 4 different people. I'm doing it now and we've had our ups and downs with it, but hopefully you guys can get on the same page. It took us a little while but we eventually got there and aside from a small hiccup recently, it's been smooth between my wife and I and her ex and his wife.

We went through the same thing. Luckily that is all water under the bridge now.

Jim sounds like life is in full force. Thankfully my kids are young for now. But I dread the teen year. Best of luck to you and the family.

Today’s Shave: “Bankrobber“

Brush: Wild West Brush Works “Antique”
Soap: The Holy Black Trading Co. Dragonslayer – Dragon’s Blood, Steel, Smoke
Razor: Doc Holliday – Asylum RX SE (Feather Pro Guard blade)
Aftershave: Florida Water

After a long drive back from western Virginia I decided to relax with a shower and a shave last night. The Dragonslayer soap is a super limited edition that The Holy Black released only at the NYC Wet Shaver’s convention earlier this year. Of course I found someone who was willing to pick one up for me after I paid for it. It is the usual excellent THB performance, and the scent is a unique twist on Dragon’s Blood. I wish I had taken a photo because the container has a nice illustration on it, compared to the usual THB logo on most of their tins. The Asylum RX does such a great job that I was able to knock out two and a half passes in under 5 minutes. The Florida Water splash was perfect for fighting the heat, which has been hovering around 95 with unreal humidity.

On the home front I am fully engrossed in Red Dead Online. I am on a streak of 21 days in a row completing at least one daily challenge. SWMBO has been very understanding of this streak, and I get a good hour a day to go romping through the Wild West. I am including a photo of my character, Irish Jim, and his horse, Fionn. Although he wears a hat, I can promise you his hair is perfect. Pompadour fade, and every three days I apply a fresh dollop of grease pomade!

60f1uM0.jpg

Today’s song is a nice little ditty about one of Irish Jim’s favorite pastimes. It is a rockabilly cover of one of my favorite song’s by The Clash.

Jesse Dayton ~ Bankrobber

I have to guess that's the first virtual SOTD pic!

Nice catchup Jim! I stopped playing RDO the last few months in favor of a couple FPSs. Need to get back into it. My guy isn’t nearly as nicely clothed lol.

Back