The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Journey of a Blind Squirrel aka Clint's Shave Journal

Clint64

Shave Enthusiast
Like @jgreenepa and @Bill M , I too spent a lot of time on TSD going back to 2014 and ended up with the appropriate custom title of “Blind Squirrel”. I will discuss that further, after introducing myself. My name is Clint and I am 56 years old. I began my wet shaving journey as a teenager using a brush and shave soap along with a cartridge razor. In fact that was my basic setup for many of years up until 2014. I read something about being able to save money by using a DE razor. Had I not joined any shaving forums saving money might have been possible. Seven years later, I can safely say that I have not saved one penny but I have had a blast. 🤣

From the beginning, I have never had a plan to setup a collection or concentrate on a particular area of our hobby. I have just bounced around from one interest to the next. For a time it will be soaps or a particular type of razor before jumping to the next interest. With all that I am much like a blind squirrel that has managed to find a nut every now and then. Welcome to my journey and let’s see what I find next.

October 1, 2021
Gillette New SC
Feather
Zenith B27 Boar
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Grand Bay Rum Aftershave

This hobby has something for everyone with every budget. I have things I like and enjoy. I can appreciate my opinions might be different than others but its all fun. Each year I try to use Open Comb razors throughout the month of October. I absolutely love OC razors. One of favorite OC razors is the Gillette New series. In fact the Gillette New razors are my favorite vintage razor period. Over the years I have had various examples. Today is I am using a replated New Short Comb that I got from a BST.

The B27 Zenith Chubby Scrubby literally eats through the soap while whipping up a wonderful lather. Now that it is fully broken in the brush is a joy to use face lathering. Mitchell's Wool Fat ticks many of my boxes for a shave soap. I love the performance and the way it makes my skin feel. If I had to pick one soap, I could do much worse that sticking with the Fat. Thankfully I don't have to pick just one and usually use MWF each Friday.

Each morning I strive for an automatic drama free shave. My goal with each item is really not to have to overthink things. I have not had nearly enough coffee that early in the morning for deep thoughts. This lineup delivered just want I wanted. Happy Friday Everyone. I hope you all have a great weekend.

Great journal kick off Clint! Do you lay down any frags to top off your shaves too? Or do you just stick to your AS scents?

October 1, 2021
Gillette New SC
Feather
Zenith B27 Boar
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Grand Bay Rum Aftershave

This hobby has something for everyone with every budget. I have things I like and enjoy. I can appreciate my opinions might be different than others but its all fun. Each year I try to use Open Comb razors throughout the month of October. I absolutely love OC razors. One of favorite OC razors is the Gillette New series. In fact the Gillette New razors are my favorite vintage razor period. Over the years I have had various examples. Today is I am using a replated New Short Comb that I got from a BST.

The B27 Zenith Chubby Scrubby literally eats through the soap while whipping up a wonderful lather. Now that it is fully broken in the brush is a joy to use face lathering. Mitchell's Wool Fat ticks many of my boxes for a shave soap. I love the performance and the way it makes my skin feel. If I had to pick one soap, I could do much worse that sticking with the Fat. Thankfully I don't have to pick just one and usually use MWF each Friday.

Each morning I strive for an automatic drama free shave. My goal with each item is really not to have to overthink things. I have not had nearly enough coffee that early in the morning for deep thoughts. This lineup delivered just want I wanted. Happy Friday Everyone. I hope you all have a great weekend.
I enjoyed reading your journal, Clint. Like you my favorite Gillettes are the New models. I’m looking forward to shaving with them this month! Tomorrow I‘ll be shaving with my MMOC, but I‘ve got my New Standard lined up for the dome shave following. And my offer still stands, old friend! If you ever get a hankering to try a straight shave, I‘ve got either a Feather DX or the Tedalus Essence. I’ll ship it your way and provide a Softguard or a Proguard blade to accompany it. I know your answer, but I figure that eventually I may be able to wear you down!. ;)

Last edited:
Great journal kick off Clint! Do you lay down any frags to top off your shaves too? Or do you just stick to your AS scents?

Thank you Chris. Frags are a recent addition for me. I have some that I use and will note them on the shaves. I see myself moving towards lighter scented soaps followed by witch hazel and my frag of choice. I think it will be easier and more enjoyable for me to remove the desire to match soaps with aftershaves or frags.

I enjoyed reading your journal, Clint. Like you my favorite Gillettes are the New models. I’m looking forward to shaving with them this month! Tomorrow I‘ll be shaving with my MMOC, but I‘ve got my New Standard lined up for the dome shave following. And my offer still stands, old friend! If you ever get a hankering to try a straight shave, I‘ve got either a Feather DX or the Tedalus Essence. I’ll ship it your way and provide a Softguard or a Proguard blade to accompany it. I know your answer, but I figure that eventually I may be able to wear you down!. ;)

Thank you Jeff. I will be rotating through my OC razors this month which will be fun. I might take you up on the offer at some point. I am just not sure how that works with my zero thought automatic shave goal. ;)

October 2, 2021
Gillette New SC
Feather
Simpson CH2 Synthetic
Cella Aloe Vera Shave Soap
Witch Hazel with Menthol
Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT

Happy Saturday Everyone. I am back with Gillette New SC again this morning. I enjoy using the Cella Aloe Vera shave soap. I do find the container to narrow. So I scooped out about half the soap and made a shave stick. I find that this works much better than me. I use the container to store the remaining soap and for SOTD pictures. Now to the brush. I am smitten with the Simpson CH2 Synthetic brushes. I find them to have excellent backbone with very soft tips. I don't abuse the brush but I don't baby the CH2 synthetics easier. I find them to work better if I use some force to get the brush to splay. For someone that has enough soap to last a lifetime, I also appreciate the fact that the brush is a literal "Soap Destroyer" eating through the stuff at a rapid pace.

Overall the shave was a wonderful drama free automatic BBS shave. I followed it up with mentholated witch hazel and Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT. Now I am smelling great and ready for enjoying some college football. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

Good stuff Clint! I think I might join in on the OC razor throughout October. Currently my only OC razor is a Fatip Grande, but I may add another before the month is out.

Thank you. Join along for Open Comb October. What do you think of the Fatip Grande. I admit I have been temped to get one.

Thank you. Join along for Open Comb October. What do you think of the Fatip Grande. I admit I have been temped to get one.
I don’t use it often enough these days so I dont have really have it dialed in. It’s more aggressive than a lot of my razors, probably due to the fact that’s an OC lol. I am Disappointed with the quality of the finish though. I have the gunmetal version and after about 30 uses it started to wear off. I guess it gives it a cool worn in look but I expected it to last much longer than that.

I don’t use it often enough these days so I dont have really have it dialed in. It’s more aggressive than a lot of my razors, probably due to the fact that’s an OC lol. I am Disappointed with the quality of the finish though. I have the gunmetal version and after about 30 uses it started to wear off. I guess it gives it a cool worn in look but I expected it to last much longer than that.

I have heard the razor is a beast. I recall someone else having the same comment on the gunmetal finish.

I had a v2 Piccolo for a while (same head as the Grande but different handle). It was a beast for sure! Once I switched to more mild razors I had a hard time justifying going back…I had so much burn and irritation from it, I’d never realized.

Back