The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Heysi Missive

My wife unit is the go to for utility issues too. She really knows how to get to the right people to make things happen!
Yeah, over the years the Angry Wife™️ has come in handy. She cuts through the nonsense and gets to the heart of the problem....and often gets us a better outcome than if we just said, "...ok, whatever's easiest". Without her, they probably would have made us pay the late fees. Bunch of idiots.

So the Hockey season is winding down and my Vegas Golden Knights are hanging on by their skate laces to a spot in the wild card. Its been a rough season with nearly every regular out at some point with an injury or two. Our top line hasn't even played a full game together.....we might not make the playoffs for the first time in team history (we have it really tough here in Vegas).

But on the shaving front......We Have Changes!!!!

IMG_20220402_155320079.jpg

Yes....you're seeing that correctly....I used gear I've never used before. And survived.

A few years ago, my wife and daughter bought me a Merkur slant (I honestly can't remember what the model number is) and its not bad at all. I paired it with a Gillette Silver Blue and I figured...it hasn't killed any of you blokes so it should be just fine to shave my face with. I had to resist the urge to twist my grip to compensate for the slant (disadvantage of using the same two razors for 35+ years is you overthink new stuff) but the slant didn't feel any different or take any special technique to use (darn, maybe those german engineers are on to something). The handle is a nice heavier weight for a smaller sized handle which I think added to the balance of the razor. This will have to be added to the small but growing rotation.

The brush was located when I was cleaning out under the sink. It wasn't something I recalled every having before and I had to do some investigation to find out where it came from. Turns out that it was part of the Mystery Pass Around Box that @Spider initiated a few years back. It was one of the things I took out when I couldn't get everything back in the box and I must have just tucked it under the sink and forgot about it. Its a Rubberset brush and has the number 139 N stamped on the bottom. I believe its synthetic but what do I know? If anyone can help with an ID, I'd appreciate it.

For soap, I went back into the Spider Pile and selected the CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout. The scent was nice. But the other CBL soaps I've tried so far were much more.....appealing on first sniff out of the tub. Not that this was in any way bad.... it was just not at the top of the must-try list. But this morning I noticed that one of the ingredients is actually Guinness Stout....I'm shaving with BEER!!!! This could be interesting. It lathers up nicely and it smells better in the lather bowl than in the tub. Nice and slick. No nicks. One tiny little weeper. And I could actually smell the roasty oatmeal. I like it......so far, not a single bad soap in the Spider Pile.

I risked the wrath of the scent police at work with a bit of Proraso aftershave lotion. Its so soothing.....but I may get called into HR later.

See ya later.

Used the ROS! Amazing scent! It is a bit weird at first if you’re not used to more gourmand scents though. 😂

Going to my first baseball game of the year!!!! The Las Vegas Aviators (AAA affiliate for the Oakland A's) vs. the Reno Aces (AAA affiliate for the Arizona D-Backs). Its our in-state rivalry...and its part of an in-state challenge.....the Silverstate Diamond Challenge. There's even a silver trophy for the winner. The winner is determined by who has the best record in match ups between the two teams. So far the trophy has been held by each city for 6 seasons. The very first year the teams tied with 8 wins each against the other and the ultimate winner was determined in the most Nevada way possible....with a draw of cards between the mayors of each city. Luckily, the mayor of Las Vegas drew a 7 while the mayor of reno drew a 6. Its all done in fun but Reno can suck it.....Vegas Rules!!

Plus our stadium is really amazing....

Las-Vegas-Ballpark.jpg

...(yes...we have a pool in the outfield!)

Went with the Williams/British tech/Wilkinson/Eveready Badger combo again today. Its been fun and interesting to try new (to me) things and I'm no longer afraid of trying new things but some mornings, you just gotta go with the old standbys because you know them,, you love them and they never let you down. Plus I was in a hurry and they never fail.

See ya later....Play Ball!!!!

Honestly....my buddy (who is single) always insists we take a walk around to the pool area to see if there are any bikinis he hasn't examined (ah...the life of a single dude).
Just because you are on a steady diet doesn’t mean you can’t look over the menu.

Back