The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Heysi Missive

heysi

“I like Glitter Covered Tortilla Chips”
Concierge
So......a shave journal.

I'm not sure how often I'll post about my daily shave. I'm rather boring in that respect. Mostly with the same two soaps. Often with the same two razors. Always with the same two blades. But ah....I've been visited my the ghost of shavings future....@spider and he has gifted me with many soaps....and (shockingly) aftershaves!!! I'm not sure how my face will handle the newness....the differentness.....the variety. (I can be dramatic, can't I?)

But here we go....A look into the new and widening world of Heysi's face. I'll try to keep it fun. I try to keep it entertaining. I'll try to keep it brief. (probably not)

I'll occasionally veer off into the goofy thoughts and the philosophical thoughts...but mostly I'll stick with the idiosyncratic way I write, with lots of ......'s and occasional ( )'s

Today's Journal:

So I already messed up the February 3017 Williams challenge by actually shaving with a puck of Williams mug shaving soap on February 1st. Guess the point was to start on Mr. Williams birthday of February 2nd. Oh well, who ever follows the rules?

The shave, for what it's worth, was fantastic. I'm using a vintage puck I've been hanging on to for about 7 or 8 years and is from the late 1970's. It was still wrapped in its Bicentennial mug offer and still had its $0.49 price tag on it. I bloomed it up a few days earlier to make sure it hadn't lost its bloomability and sure enough.....this morning it worked like a charm. Smelled like I remember. Felt like I remember. Shaved like I remember. It was like I was back in high school. The only difference between back then and now is that after loading the brush, I moved to a bowl to create my lather. Back in the day, I used to face lather. I've found that the bowl produces better, more consistent lather for me (your mileage may vary) plus I think the hammered tin bowl looks very cool.

I used my British pre-war tech with a Wilkinson Sword blade. I've added an extra long, heavy brass handle to my tech. I first learned to shave with a long handled Black Beauty and I prefer the longer handles. The extra weight pairs nicely with the balance of the long handle and the precision of the tech head. Makes the shave nice and smooth and really easy.

Today....I tried one of the aftershaves that KJ gifted to me. It's the Proraso Liquid aftershave (it has a white label...and its in italian, that's all I know). It has a nice clean scent and since its more like a lotion than an alcohol based aftershave, it was very soothing. I've never used aftershave before. Never seemed like I wanted to take the time. I'm really going to try all the ones that KJ brought me.....including the Lilac Vegetal. I know that it's an acquired taste (or rather, scent) but I smelled it right after he gave it to me and I didn't find anything wrong with it. My wife even thought it smelled nice.

Well, there's Journal entry number 1. I'll try to add photos next time. (hey, I'm new at this.....)

See ya later!

Lilac Vegetal. I know that it's an acquired taste (or rather, scent) but I smelled it right after he gave it to me and I didn't find anything wrong with it. My wife even thought it smelled nice.
You’ve been Chosen!

I have a prediction that with people that have lost their sense of smell with COVID, this should become more popular.
For the past 2 and a half years I've been using my toothpaste as a measure of whether I need to get a COVID test. So far, not a single morning has gone by without my sense of taste or smell. (I have had a few tests after being in large groups or before traveling).

I wasn't until we got the team.

And just to clear up a misconception: There is no L...its just Vegas Golden Knights.
I didn’t realize it either - learn something new! The unis are the bomb I must say - and you gotta love they’ve been successful since day one.

I didn’t realize it either - learn something new! The unis are the bomb I must say - and you gotta love they’ve been successful since day one.
I didn’t realize that. Thanks.

No problem. The guys on espn are the worst culprits but they also like to lump any part of the Los Angeles area into the generalization of calling it "Hollywood".

The success has been really nice but its led to some hateful, awful fans. One loss and they lose their minds "Fire the coach...sell the team...burn down the building" and if the goalie lets in one goal.....they will come unhinged. The problem with most is that they aren't VGK fans, they're Marc Andre Fleury fans. And instead of following him to Chicago, they hang around and harass our current goalie, Robin Lehner. Never mind that the two goalies currently have the same save percentage but while Fleury has a 14-15 record, Lehner has a 19-12 record....plus we're in first place in our division.

No problem. The guys on espn are the worst culprits but they also like to lump any part of the Los Angeles area into the generalization of calling it "Hollywood".

The success has been really nice but its led to some hateful, awful fans. One loss and they lose their minds "Fire the coach...sell the team...burn down the building" and if the goalie lets in one goal.....they will come unhinged. The problem with most is that they aren't VGK fans, they're Marc Andre Fleury fans. And instead of following him to Chicago, they hang around and harass our current goalie, Robin Lehner. Never mind that the two goalies currently have the same save percentage but while Fleury has a 14-15 record, Lehner has a 19-12 record....plus we're in first place in our division.
I don‘t know how some coaches and athletes stay sane with the way some fans behave nowadays

The daughter visited over the weekend. It was a combination visit. We had a memorial service for her aunt, my sister-in-law, who was hit and killed on her bike on the way to the school she was a teacher at. It was not as somber as I thought it might be. Lots of happy memories. It was also my daughters birthday so we took her out to all her favorite places here in Vegas. Overall, I nice visit.

Also spent some time working on the Bingo game I'm going to be calling here shortly. The idea has come together and I'm just doing some pre prep so that each days calls go smoothly. I hope everyone enjoys my little twist on the usual game. Still have to come up with a prize for the winner. Might just put together a Vegas-centric gift box: tacky lighter, deck of cards, shot glass, ect....still thinking on that.

Todays Journal:

Still enjoying my Vintage Williams shaves. Dialed in my lather after only 3 days and every day after that has been spectacular. Its not as hard as some would imagine. My grandfather and great grandfather were able to get good lather from Williams while in the combat theaters of the south pacific and western europe. I may have to write out a full run down of my technique (including photos....at some point I'll remember to take a few).

I finally tried the Lilac Vegetal over the weekend. Its much stronger out of the bottle than in the bottle. But I didn't find it awful like some do. As the day went on I did notice that body temp affected how it smelled. At one point I was doing some strenuous activity and I could detect a stronger, musky scent from it. It wasn't offensive and harsh but I did notice a difference. The wife checked the scent throughout the day and it always got a thumbs up from her (which is the only ratings scale I live by). But I guess I have been chosen.

I continue to use my Pre-war British tech with a Wilkinson Sword blade. I know, I know....that's very boring to use the same razor combination all the time but I've discovered what works for me every time and its hard to justify having to go to a different setup if its going to take me a few days to dial in the sweet spot. I may have to make weekend shaves the time to experiment with the other razors I own. But lets not get crazy.

See ya later!

Quite the update! Glad the memorial was a good celebration of the life of a loved one.
Still have to come up with a prize for the winner. Might just put together a Vegas-centric gift box: tacky lighter, deck of cards, shot glass, ect....still thinking on that.
Sounds like the perfect prize to me!

The wife checked the scent throughout the day and it always got a thumbs up from her (which is the only ratings scale I live by).
My wife is my barometer as well. As long as she doesn't reach for her rescue inhaler, I'm good.

Glad you could revisit the happy memories of your sister in law.

I like your ideas for the Bingo prizes

Journal entry #3

Its been one of those strange weeks.

No current sports on my tv. Baseball looks like it will be delayed, at the very least, and my Golden Knights were off this week (they play back-to back games tonight and tomorrow...yay!!!). And all of the Arsenal matches have either been very early sunday morning or mid day mid week.

For the first time in nearly thirty years, my wife and I don't have a trip planned for the foreseeable future. Its depressing and sad but it has opened up the entire world as a result. We're constantly seeing places on tv or the internet we WANT to visit but we can't figure out where we actually want to go. There's limitless options but nothing seems perfect.

Todays shave:

I decided to mix it up just a tiny bit.....I changed razors. Been using my Pre War British tech for the past two months but today I used RustBoy. If you know the story of RustBoy....he's still alive and kicking. He never lets me down and the shave was smooth and easy. I paired it with the Wilkinson Sword I've been using for the past two months. I'm not 100% sure but I think the Wilki holds its sharpness longer than the Gillette blue. I'll need to test that theory next time I switch blades.

The Eveready badger (I think its badger) brush has improved as I've been using it. Found it in an antique shop in Kingman Az. and rehabed it. The knot was fairly tight when I got it and its been opening with use. I'm getting a bit of bristle shed (like one bristle a shave) but I expected the whole knot to just fall out on the first use so I'm pleasantly surprised with the resilience of this brush. I intended to have it reknotted if it didn't recover after the rehab but no need at the moment.

Still plugging along with the vintage Williams for Williams 3017 February and I should be able to continue into March as well. My lathers have been consistent for over 3 weeks. The old tried and true technique has never let me down. Using my Monkey mug is always fun. My wife says it gave her the creeps the first time I added it to my shave den. She seems to have gotten used to it now.

The hammered copper, tin plated bowl is such a nice addition to my shave gear. It looks good, it works perfectly and who doesn't love something that obviously was made by hand?

The Proraso aftershave lotion is my new favorite. Its very soothing and mild. I wish I had known earlier about how nice aftershaves could be. I used to get them as gifts from my grandparents and would ignore them for 2 or 3 years before throwing them out, unopened. Can't imagine how many Old Spice and Aqua Velva decanters I've tossed out over the years but that's my loss.

Hey, I even managed to take a picture for this shave journal....

IMG_20220222_213718528.jpg

See ya later!

Back