The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Heysi Missive

Non shaving Journal entry:

So after 28 consecutive days of shaving with Vintage Williams Shaving Soap (not a hard task for me since I usually don't mix it up that much) I DID NOT shave this morning!!!

I was a nice change of pace. I will sometimes skip a day or two every so often (usually on the weekends or on vacation) so 28 days straight was quite a streak for me. The wife thought I was up to something after day three or four so I had to fill her in on the challenge. I don't think she's even noticed today that I didn't shave.

But the good news is that I can start trying some of the many soaps that @Spider gifted to me when he visited recently. So I will have something to write about.

In the mean time, the Vintage Williams still has about two or three weeks worth of puck left. I forgot how much longer a puck could last before the reformulation. Its a real shame that its being discontinued, even if it wasn't as good as it once was. Still the slickest soap ever and the stuff I learned to shave with. It will be missed.....(when my hoard supply runs out....which I hope is not for 30 more years).

On the personal front: My daughter is this close (my fingers are nearly touching...but not quite) to buying her first house. They should know in the next few days what their closing date will be and then its just getting handed the keys. The wife and I have been informed that we have a guest room available and that we can come visit anytime. I think the plan is to send some clothes and toiletries out to the new house so we don't have to travel with so much luggage from this point going forward. Will be nice to just hop on and off the plane with only a small bag or even just a backpack each time we visit.

See ya later.

Well, taxes are done. So the wife is no longer stressing. She's always convinced we'll owe money each year.....and yet...we never have. Also, on the downsizing front, I've now cleared out parts of my garage that haven't been touched since we moved in 19 years ago. Lots a crap I didn't need, taking up space....but no longer. I hit the goodwill dropoff every week now, it seems. Should be ready to sell the house in a month or two. Then we have to start looking at new houses. Not a fun thought.

Not long ago I said I was going to start trying some of the other soaps and razors I own and not just use that same gear every time.....

Well, this weekend I did exactly that.

Shave Journal entry number....4...I think.

I used my Birth quarter Gillette Slim with the Wilkinson Sword blade (I had to use a blade I trust). Not a bad shave. Took some adjusting to get a bit of blade exposure at first. I always set my Black Beauty on 3 and I found the RustBoy worked well on 3 but the Slim was not having any of it. I bumped it up to 5 and that improved things a bit. I may continue to adjust until I find the sweet spot. Who knew that an adjustable razor could, in fact, be adjusted?

In the most stunning change for the guy that always uses the same soap...I used the CBL Bee-Spoke that I won from Bingo game #38 (thank you @EMG06 ) and I really like it. The scent was pleasant and I didn't use any aftershave so it lingered all day. I used the same lathering technique that I showed in the Williams tutorial video and it lathered up just as thick and fluffy. I'm not sure what methods others are using, but that's always worked for me...and now across three different soap brands. I'm thinking I know the magic skill....just let me teach it to ya.

Getting to really like the EverReady badger. It's now taking on a much more relaxed shape. The knot was about as tight as you could squeeze a knot when I found it and I'm glad I didn't just remove the knot and start fresh. Sometimes the wait-and-see method pays off. I may need to revisit brushes I passed over for the same reason next time I'm out looking at antique shops.

See ya later.

I always set my Black Beauty on 3 and I found the RustBoy worked well on 3 but the Slim was not having any of it.
I'm not sure why they behave so differently. I can get a great shave from the Fatboy on any setting. But the slim always gives me issues. It works, but not as well.

Ah....the sweet return of the old classics:

RustBoy loaded with a Wilkinson Sword blade with two and a half months of shaves on it.

The now trusty EverReady badger brush.

A soon to be missed Vintage Williams puck.

I know I'm trying to learn more about my new soaps and actually use some of my other razors....but there's nothing better than the tried and true.

Took about a month and a half but yesterday my daughter and son-in-law signed the papers on their first house. Being excited kids, they slept there last night on an inflatable mattress. In the middle of the big thunderstorm that rolled through the south over night. o_O

Very happy for them and their dog who now has 2 acres to run around in.

Next up, my wife and I will be mailing them a box of clothes and toiletry goods to store in their spare bedroom so that next time we visit we don't need to pack a whole suitcase....its carry-on or backpack from now on.

For today's shave....

IMG_20220322_222652319.jpg

I decided to mix it up midweek (I'm like a crazy man out here being different and some junk)

Had only used my Red Tip once before and completely forgot about it. It's actually a really nice vintage razor. Still using the old trusty Wilkinson Sword....I think its nearing three months of shaves. Solid blade, nice and smooth.

Love the EverReady badger brush. So classic. So perfect.

The CBL Dread Pirate Roberts scent is amazing. And it lathered up really nicely. The wife says it smells "old school". I'm hoping that's a good thing.

Originally, the plan was to splash on the Aquarius aftershave lotion but I didn't want to cover up the Dread.......I've had to restrain myself from quoting movie lines as I think of the name all day...

See ya later.

So, we had to unleash Angry Wife™️ on the gas company last night. Seems that their computer screwed something up and our last 3 payments didn't get credited to our account. They claim that its our fault but since we've been paying online for more than 8 or 9 years and never had a problem before...I'm thinking its their computer that switched a number in our payment. Our bank has no record of them submitting anything even though the gas company website shows that we made the payments to them...only to have the gas company return the payments.....to who knows where....so now we have a huge bill and no one at the gas company wants to admit they screwed up. Angry Wife™️ laid into to some poor sap for about twenty minutes and they agreed to waive all late fees and penalties. We think we got it cleared up but they've proven to be incompetent boobs so I'm not sure we trust them anymore. For the foreseeable future, Angry Wife™️ will be double checking to see that they've received our payment rather than just hitting 'send' and assuming it has been received. What a nightmare.

Todays shave journal:

IMG_20220329_214412900.jpg

Once again....I'm mixing it up.

Broke out the N4 Birth Quarter Super Speed. I think I've only used this razor twice before.....I won't make that mistake again. This was a nice, smooth, easy shave. I may have to make this my travel razor as it was no muss, no fuss and it doesn't take up too much room. Paired it with a Gillette Silver Blue blade with about a month of shaves previously on the blade. I really think that the Gillette blades are perfectly tuned for their razors. No tugging, no weepers, a perfect combination.

Used my original unnamed Badger brush the wife bought me back about 30 years ago. It was my only brush until about 5 years ago and its a champ.

My tin-plated copper lather bowl is still tried and true.....but now I'm envious of @NurseDave 's patina covered bowl. Looks like I've been too gentle on mine.

For soap, I really had to resist using my regulars and I pulled something from the @Spider pile. The choice is getting tough because I want to try everything but don't want to smell really funky (or get a crummy shave). Recently at work, they had to send out a memo to remind people not to wear strong cologne or perfume (I swear it wasn't me wearing The Veg). Some people at my work have a "sensitivity to strong smells" so we're asked to not wear anything too strong......doesn't keep one of my coworkers from nuking his fish in the microwave about once a month 🤮. So I've been saving the untried experiments for the weekends....but today I said "screw it' and pulled out LNHC Dunnottar. It has a really nice scent and I was surprised at how well it lathered. Wasn't quite as fluffy as the Williams but still good and long lasting.

See ya later.

Back