The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Dreaded 2020 TSC "S Word" Thread

I use regular store WH nearly every day. I don’t even smell it anymore. You get used to it pretty quick.

Whelp, I am out. The bottle of store brand WH is getting low and I saw Thayer's on sale at Whole Foods today. So, I bought two bottles of the Coconut Water version. It was a resupply due to running low, so I feel a bit bad about being out, but it is what it is. At least I made it longer this time than last time.

Whelp, I am out. The bottle of store brand WH is getting low and I saw Thayer's on sale at Whole Foods today. So, I bought two bottles of the Coconut Water version. It was a resupply due to running low, so I feel a bit bad about being out, but it is what it is. At least I made it longer this time than last time.
Well done Doug !!

I think it is difficult to succeed at this sort of thing and an admirable thing to attempt. For that reason, I want to congratulate all the participants of this restraint whether successful or not. As for me, it is one battle at a time as I try to limit my purchases of new things, particularly shaving soap. The other day, a limited edition of a soap made by T&S, that I truly think is one of the best made, became available for purchase. I looked at my shave soap library and saw that I have 4 examples of T&S soap and realized I would not get through them while they are at their peak i.e. which for T&S is within one year of manufacture. I also note that one of these soaps, West Coast IPA, is clearly degraded with the once beautiful hops scent coming off the puck no longer fresh. Given this, I chose not to purchase the new limited edition Rainforest 2. Though it should have been an easy choice, I still regret it just a bit.

I think it is difficult to succeed at this sort of thing and an admirable thing to attempt. For that reason, I want to congratulate all the participants of this restraint whether successful or not. As for me, it is one battle at a time as I try to limit my purchases of new things, particularly shaving soap. The other day, a limited edition of a soap made by T&S, that I truly think is one of the best made, became available for purchase. I looked at my shave soap library and saw that I have 4 examples of T&S soap and realized I would not get through them while they are at their peak i.e. which for T&S is within one year of manufacture. I also note that one of these soaps, West Coast IPA, is clearly degraded with the once beautiful hops scent coming off the puck no longer fresh. Given this, I chose not to purchase the new limited edition Rainforest 2. Though it should have been an easy choice, I still regret it just a bit.
No regerts! 😜

Made me go look and think about it
I don't think that there is anything quite like Tallow & Steel. My comment regarding "one of the best made" refers to their soaps in general and not specifically to Rainforest 2. Anything they make is worth a look-see. Complex and challenging scents using some of the best available ingredients insofar as I can see. I apologize for feeding the beast.

I just went through much, but not all, of this thread and to me this entire thing is an abomination. It has made me physically ill to read such blasphemy and I will do everything in my power to counteract this type of unbecoming behavior. In fact I vow to spend as much as possible and acquire as many shaving related items as I possibly can in 2020. I will be actively recruiting other like minded individuals to join me in this battle against evil! 😇

I just went through much, but not all, of this thread and to me this entire thing is an abomination. It has made me physically ill to read such blasphemy and I will do everything in my power to counteract this type of unbecoming behavior. In fact I vow to spend as much as possible and acquire as many shaving related items as I possibly can in 2020. I will be actively recruiting other like minded individuals to join me in this battle against evil! 😇
That's the spirit!

Buy a shed...it's going to take awhile. I am still in and enjoying the copious amounts of everything I have. However, I am not judgmental. Enjoy wherever you are in this hobby...a lot.

Buy a shed...it's going to take awhile. I am still in and enjoying the copious amounts of everything I have. However, I am not judgmental. Enjoy wherever you are in this hobby...a lot.
@Somnos , Sorry if my post came across as judgemental or in poor taste, it truely was not meant that way. i have gone through various stages of the hobby myself and I am certainly not judging others. My apologies to you and anyone else that i may have offended with my post. It was my attempt at humor and was not meant to be taken seriously.

@Somnos , Sorry if my post came across as judgemental or in poor taste, it truely was not meant that way. i have gone through various stages of the hobby myself and I am certainly not judging others. My apologies to you and anyone else that i may have offended with my post. It was my attempt at humor and was not meant to be taken seriously.
I read your post, and to me it definitely sounded like tongue in cheek sarcasm. I wouldn't worry, I doubt anyone was offended.

I've been doing a lent Sabbatical and i have to say, it's good and helpful, but it is also best left to people who hate themselves. Lol. It's so painful... every day. [emoji3525]

I can't even fathom attempting a year. You folks are truly hardcore.

Sent from my TRS-80 using Tapatalk

I admire all you who can do this. I've never completed an "S" word, be it yearly, quarterly or monthly. I guess something deep in my psyche sabotages me, lol.
Last year I joined a yearly one, and quit in disgust when the rules nazis decided someone was out because he bought a picture of a razor to hang in his bathroom. I think that's kind of taking things to the extreme.

Back