The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Double Edge Adventures of Somnos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnos

In the Arms of Angels
IN MEMORIAM
Veteran
So on the advice of Dave (In KY) I have decided to start a journal of all things Shave related. I will strive to show you all of the collection and combinations of soaps, creams AS etc...here we go...

Well I was going to carry on with some vintage Gillette but as I enjoyed the Muhle R41 on Sunday I figured I would continue with another German razor and so today fell to the Merkur 34G. Loaded up with Kai this razor is the efficient equal of any razor I have over three passes.

Today’s soap choice TFS Corte Sabauda which is a wonderful Spring and Summer scent. Vegan and a wonderful performer. Could be I dare say my desert island soap! The matching AS is fantastic and will pleasantly hang with you all day.

Off and running with a very pleasant three pass shave with BBS being the result. Topped off with the AS as mentioned and some English Laundry Notting Hill EDP and the matching deodorant stick. Perfect.

Happy shaves all!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Merkur 34G
Blade: Kai Super Stainless
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Lotion
Lather: Tcheon Fung Sing Corte Sabauda
Aftershave: Tcheon Fung Sing Corte Sabauda
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
English Laundry Notting Hill
English Laundry Notting Hill Deodorant Stick

6CD2F69E-A7AD-4962-9FD2-D01386430E34.jpeg

Welcome to the journals (even though I am a rare poster in my own journal 😳)... Always enjoyed your thoughts in the SOTD thread. This is even better!

Well thank you for the welcome! So shall I start from the beginning of the year or should I start with May and move forward?

So as I mentioned earlier I was going to start a run through the various Super Speeds in the collection from 48-69. I started off with the Milord and snuck a Muhle R41 and Merkur 34G in when no one was looking! So back we go down the line. Today’s ritual involved the venerable though often maligned 1951 Black Tip SS. This particular razor is in fine condition and is the aluminum handle version. It is one of the first SS acquired by me and comes courtesy of a buddy in Texas. Come to think of it, I have a bunch of his razors! Many have commented that this SS is too light or too mild to be efficient. Loaded up with a Perma-Sharp Super, Kai, Nacet etc, this razor is superb. Sharp blade, mild razor equals success. Today was no exception.

Soap of the day is new to the den but I do enjoy the other Tcheon Fung Sing soap I have in rotation that was listed in my previous SOTD. This one is from their Linea Intenso collection and is called Ginestra di Taormina. The scent is phenomenal and incorporates Sicilian Broom Flower with sweet citrus, moss and floral notes. It is spring and summer in a tub. Performance is excellent and you will be impressed, I certainly was.

Lathered up from the tub with my Simpson Colonel and proceeded to get on through a fantastic, three pass BBS shave. Topped it off with the matching aftershave balm and decided to add a little extra.

I was pif’d a bottle of Myrsol Aqua Balsamica a while back and I love using it in place of AS or balms that incorporate lavender, violet or rose scents in them. The Myrsol AB is exceptional in my opinion but at times hard to match to a soap. Well this soap is it’s “Brother-from-another-mother”.

It’s Friday and this was an exceptional shave and start to a much needed weekend. Take care, safe travels and happy shaves all!

Razor: Gillette Black Tip Super Speed 1951
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L
Pre-Shave: The Real Shave Co. - Oil
Lather: Tcheon Fung Sing Linea Intenso - Ginestra di Taormina
Aftershave: Tcheon Fung Sing Linea Intenso - Ginestra di Taormina
Additional Care:
Myrsol Agua Balsamica
D6CB221A-E150-4080-BA27-D144B5B012F0.jpeg

So we continue with the Super Speeds and today fell to the 1953 Super Speed often referred to as a 40s style Super Speed. This particular 53 is quite efficient and a smooth shaver. It isn’t as aggressive as a Red Tip but much more efficient than other SS of the same era.

Today’s soap is new to me and it was quite nice. Amici by Italian Barber is a light citrus based scent with some grapefruit at the core. The scent is light off the puck and only a little more pronounced on the lather. Soap is slick and provides nice cushion I just wish it was a bit stronger.

Lathered up with the Simpson Colonel again today and again it didn’t disappoint! Lovely two pass DFS achieved and out the door to work we go!

Happy week and shaves to all!

Razor: Gillette Super Speed 1953
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L
Pre-Shave: Rocky Mountain Barber Company - Sandalwood Oil
Lather: Italian Barber Amici
Aftershave: Italian Barber Amici
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
Bath & Body Works Citron

BF0018D1-CB08-45C4-9305-80DE030FA8AC.jpeg