The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The 2nd Annual Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge!

Believe it or not this soap is still going after 81 shaves. Today the thinning ring in my mug broke up and had to be smashed together to continue. Looks like just a few more left until this is done.

View attachment 81495
That's about how mine usually looks after 3 months. The old formula was much longer lasting than the newer formula (maybe a week less). But people may have been overloading out of fear that they weren't going to get a good lather. I normally only need about 10-15 seconds to load my brush. You look to have perfected the skills.

@OpusX maybe this may have been a super old puck or maybe one that somehow was more compressed than any other? Though with the Williams process, I can’t imagine any variance in production quality. I’d say your superior lather skills are producing excellent results with a great soap!

But people may have been overloading out of fear that they weren't going to get a good lather. I normally only need about 10-15 seconds to load my brush. You look to have perfected the skills.
Yes, I concur. There are two basic ways to load and lather Williams. A minimal load with the perfect amount of water and an excellent technique will yield great results. This is unforgiving of too much or too little water. The other method is to soak your puck to soften it, then load it like you hate it. This is much more forgiving of needing the exact right amount of water and will yield results with a variety of techniques. For these challenges, we usually preach the latter technique becuas emost will give up before achieving success with the former.

My idea for next year's challenge is to focus on the former technique, and see if we can stretch a puck even further! But I'm not sure if I want to be that sadistic..... to myself.

I normally only need about 10-15 seconds to load my brush. You look to have perfected the skills.
Thank you much, and I agree. A quick load with a damp brush and face lathering from there is the way.

Back