The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The 2nd Annual Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge!

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
1642524265479.png1642524360184.png

We had some fun with this last year , so lets do it again. You may have been a part of this experience on other Forums, or this may be completely new to you, but it's something that I have enjoyed over the years and it's time to continue this experience at The Cadre!

We will join together to 3017 a puck of Williams Mug Soap. What's a 3017? Basically, just commit yourself to using a puck of Williams Mug Soap for every shave until it's gone. For the average user this will probably be around 20-35 shaves, but can last longer depending on your use. This challenge is typically done with a modern puck and the idea is to really use it and try to get the best lather out of it. Some folks use Williams for a shave or two and get mediocre results and give up, but by 3017ing the puck, you try different things and really try to dial in your technique. Or, maybe you've got a puck of vintage, A.K.A. the really good stuff, and you want to actually get it out and use it. Then here's your chance.

Now, to make this all a bit more fun and interesting, some of you may decide to take this challenge to the next level, by adding some scent to your Williams puck. We do this by soaking our pucks of Williams in aftershave, to scent them the way we want. Why? Well, the old pucks of Williams had advertisements on them saying to use them with Aqua Velva. Someone did an experiment to see if they could get the scent of AV into their puck, A.K.A. "Blue Willy" and had great success. That evolved into personalizing the puck with the scent of your own and here we are.

Here are of few of the possible recipes we've seen over the years, just to get your imaginations going:

Amped Willy …..... Nivea Energy
Blue Willy ...……..... Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Brisk Willy .............. Barbasol Brisk
Brutal Willy …….... Brut
Chilly Willy ...…..... Osage Rub
Club Willy ...…....... Pinaud Clubman
Cowboy Willy ....... Stetson
English Willy ......... English Leather
Green Willy ...…..... Aqua Velva Original Sport
Heartbeat Willy ... Adidas Pulse
Island Willy …........ Pinaud VIBR (Or any Bay Rum of your choice)
Lord Willy ...…........ Lord & Master
O'Willy ......….......... Avon Oland
Plain Willy ...…....... Pure Williams, no scent added.
Silly WIlly ............... Multi Aftershave mix/blend
Skinny Willy …....... Skin Bracer
Spicy Willy ...…...... Old Spice
Sporty Willy …...... Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Surfing Willy ........ Barbasol Pacific Rush
Tiger Willy ............ Lucky Tiger
Veggie Willy …..... Lilac Vegetal
Water Willy .......... Florida Water
Wild Willy ............. Avon Wild Country

Does this sound like fun to you? We had a dozen participants last year. Lets see if we can grow this year!
@uacowboy @Soap Thing @dkeester @OpusX @BarberDave @Fightingillini22 @Fenster @Jaro1069 @Luecke3262 @HMan @SteveChuckFrank @heysi @The Monkey

Sign up Below and start gathering your supplies. Will you be using a plain puck of Williams or creating something new? Let us know what you’ll be using in your recipe, and describe your process (pictures always welcome) along the way. Use an existing formula or create your own. One thing to keep in mind is that one reason that Aqua Velva works so well, is due to its high glycerin content. So if possible choose an aftershave with glycerin as an ingredient (or add a couple drops to your recipe).

James Baker Williams was born on February 2, 1819 so in honor of his 203rd Birthday, we will start our shaves on Feb 2nd (Groundhog Day).

**EDIT** Interested, but can't find a puck of Williams locally? See dkeester's post below!

Last edited:
I'm going back to basics with a plain modern puck this year.

Copy this list to sign up. (List what you will be adding and what you are calling it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Spider – Plain Willy

Oh I have been waiting to use a vintage puck of Williams (thanks @Spider) just for this event.

Edit: Lets hope I can finish my other 3017 first (guess I'll just have to pause that one if not)

Copy this list to sign up. (List what you will be adding and what you are calling it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Spider – Plain Willy
2. OpusX -- Old Willy (aka straight vintage)

I am going to do the plain willy again this year since I have so many different aftershaves and colognes to spice it up afterwards.

I will repeat my offer from last year. Anyone who wants to participate, but doesn't have a puck of modern Williams to use, can PM me and I will mail you one. I have around 30 pucks of Modern Williams in my soap stash.

1. Spider – Plain Willy
3. dkeester - Plain Willy

I have just gotten comfortable with my technique with my new-to-me Boar brush on my MWF so this can get me using my Williams and improving that technique, plus I have three vintage Williams that I've never used and its high time I broke one out.

Since I'm not an aftershave guy, I won't be adding anything to the best mug soap ever created.

1. Spider – Plain Willy
4. Heysi - Old Willy

I have just gotten comfortable with my technique with my new-to-me Boar brush on my MWF so this can get me using my Williams and improving that technique, plus I have three vintage Williams that I've never used and its high time I broke one out.

Since I'm not an aftershave guy, I won't be adding anything to the best mug soap ever created.

1. Spider – Plain Willy
4. Heysi - Old Willy
5. Soap Thing - Brutal Willy

.....That's amazing......I said the exact same thing. What are the chances?

I just copied the whole thing without paying a lick of attention. I'm messing around on the Cadre at work I have like 1000 things going on at once :ROFLMAO:. BTW TSC works on government computers now o_O. Maybe if I goof off enough, they'll change my nickname from "shave Member" to something funny 🤞.

Last edited:
iu

Is anyone else noticing that Williams is kinda hard to get right now? I looked on Amazon and didn't see any on offer. Also PharmaPacks is out of stock, and there are only a handful of sellers on eBay offering any. Is Williams going to be a casualty of the pandemic???? (I really hope not!)

Wait... so you're not an aftershave guy..... and you're not a soap guy.... Then what the heck are you?

....and I only own 3 brushes. And I only use two blade brands. And I almost always use one of two razors (I do own about 30 razors).

Like I said, The most boring shaver on this forum.

I just copied the whole thing without paying a lick of attention. I'm messing around on the Cadre at work I have like 1000 things going on at once :ROFLMAO:. BTW TSC works on government computers now o_O. Maybe if I goof off enough, they'll change my nickname from "shave Member" to something funny 🤞.

No sweat, dude....I was just given you a hard time. It's part of the magic of the Cadre.

Is anyone else noticing that Williams is kinda hard to get right now? I looked on Amazon and didn't see any on offer. Also PharmaPacks is out of stock, and there are only a handful of sellers on eBay offering any. Is Williams going to be a casualty of the pandemic???? (I really hope not!)
Oh dear.... am I going to have to stock up again?

Just as long as you're not bored with your shaves.... although with that few options, I don't see how you're not!

Ok, you saved face a little bit there.....

My wife made me travel, eat new foods, try new things....maybe this is the reason I found this forum.....its just taken me several years to admit that I'm boring and maybe I can be coaxed out of my malaise and torpor. The new incoming soaps are part of my expansion.

Back