The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The 2nd Annual Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge!

Believe it or not we made it to 100 shaves on this puck, with soap to spare.

How did we get here? A few tricks;

1) Dont overload. If you squeeze out your brush and think "wow I could do 4 more passes", be lighter next time

2) Shave those squeezins. Yep you heard that, put that lather back in the bowl. It worked for Grandpa. Heck he probably just put the whole soapy brush down as is when done.

3) Use a DE you really know. I tend to use more lather when I SR shave, so a mild DE was easier to conserve lather.

I certainly had several shaves where I "wasted" lather, so more is easily possible, but 100 is a fine number for me. I will just get to finishing this off for now. Perhaps I can do better next year if @Spider keeps on theme with a longevity challenge.

---Soap left after todays brush load---
20220516_043629.jpg

Believe it or not we made it to 100 shaves on this puck, with soap to spare.

How did we get here? A few tricks;

1) Dont overload. If you squeeze out your brush and think "wow I could do 4 more passes", be lighter next time

2) Shave those squeezins. Yep you heard that, put that lather back in the bowl. It worked for Grandpa. Heck he probably just put the whole soapy brush down as is when done.

3) Use a DE you really know. I tend to use more lather when I SR shave, so a mild DE was easier to conserve lather.

I certainly had several shaves where I "wasted" lather, so more is easily possible, but 100 is a fine number for me. I will just get to finishing this off for now. Perhaps I can do better next year if @Spider keeps on theme with a longevity challenge.

---Soap left after todays brush load---
View attachment 83019
MY LIEGE! I have learned much from you!

In all my years of using Williams, I never once counted how many shaves I got out of a puck. I may have to see if I can duplicate your count.

Good job.

I've been doing this now since you mentioned it (but its not as easy in a shave mug...lots of pushing the lather down the sides)...and I hardly even have to load on the puck. Just run the brush around the sides a few times to load. I'm used to nearly 2 months of shaves out of a puck...it may be more than 4 months now (granted...I usually shave 4-5 times out of 7 days). That being said, 100+ shaves out of a puck may become the norm now for me. Seems like my 20 pucks may make it to the end of time after all.

Back