The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Stunt Shaves: DEvette or the Un-Safety Razor

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
Ok VLOGers..... here’s your next challenge. Time to turn up the “Stunt” in the Stunt Shaves!

This time, we’ll be using a DEvette..... what’s that you ask? DE + shavette = DEvette. Basically, remove the bottom plate (safety bar or OC) from your 3 piece razor, and shave with the blade in direct contact with your face. It’s just like shaving with a DE blade shavette, except with a DE handle.

I know what your’re saying to yourself, “KJ.... you’re crazy!” Maybe, possibly... probably. But I knew you wouldn’t take me seriously, unless I did it first, so here you go!

Now, who is ready to join me?

Hmmmmm, an actual shavette at least holds the length of both sides and I've never used one of those either. You know how I HATE blades not held rigid. I'll have to think about this one....................Nice job KJ and I'll still say it, You are crazy !!

Hmmmmm, an actual shavette at least holds the length of both sides and I've never used one of those either. You know how I HATE blades not held rigid. I'll have to think about this one....................Nice job KJ and I'll still say it, You are crazy !!
The blade is held rigid, as long as your handle tightens down sufficiently. There was absolutely no wiggle or flex in my blade. It’s held in exactly as it would be if the safety bar was there.

At the other place, some folks took to modifying their razors, by cutting off the safety bar. Still a 3 piece with the end result being a permanent DEvette.

First, you are indeed crazy. Of that there can be no doubt. This one will have to wait til I get home.. I think.

At the other place, some folks took to modifying their razors, by cutting off the safety bar. Still a 3 piece with the end result being a permanent DEvette.
I used a few of these and they shaved great. Just make sure you are riding the cap.

I Double checked and My New SC will NOT work for this. the handle puts zero pressure on the blade and it is not at all secure. and the 1904 i just got the handle is attached to the base plate. Might have to revisit this one down the road sometime.

I forgot to post. I did check on this one but I don’t have a single razor that will work for this.

Monday August 19, 2019
2019 Shave # 233 ( 286 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: Devette, No Base Plate ABC Shell Razor
Blade: Pol Silver SI (2)
Brush: RR BC Plissoft Silvertip
Soap: Mystic Water Raspberry Lemon
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2 : Stirling Triumph
Fragrance : Paco Rabanne Invictus
IMG_20190819_061356169.jpg

I’d say that’s close enough! I doubt I’d to ATG either. Good effort.

Good Shave @Dave in KY .... Any attempt at a stunt shave is successful as far as the VLOG goes, no matter how far you get. It did seem that it was pretty easy for you as you definitely went faster than I would have expected someone to go, who had never tried it before. As far as the sound, you asked if we could hear it.... the mic pics up the sound of the shave pretty good, but it sounded the same from the DEvette and the Enders. At least I couldn't detect any difference in them. Thanks for playing! Now maybe some other folks will see that it can be done, because I know most just think I'm a loon who will try anything.....

Maybe I need to get a razor (sans base plate) in the mail for @NurseDave to try?????

Maybe I need to get a razor (sans base plate) in the mail for @NurseDave to try?????
Agreed, eliminate his excuses.

Yeah the sound was the same but the Enders didn't stall like the Devette did which I attribute to it not being held rigid enough. (Wrong or Right, that's how I perceived it) I think it ATG was either skipping over some or stalling and preventing a close shave. Glad I attempted and thanks for putting these on (y)

I'm hesitant, but game. That's why I looked to see if I had something.

Shouldn't be anything new. Dave's shave sounded like he was just using the SR-71 to me ;)

Great yet uneventful videos. But that's what I expected since I've done it a few times and I know devettes sucks ass. I thought I'd get the closest shave of my life and bleed like a pig. However, I never could get even a DFS, just a patchy SAS at best.

Another stunt shaver! Nice!

Those safety bar amputations though...hopefully it was not a nice razor to begin with lol.

Great yet uneventful videos. But that's what I expected since I've done it a few times and I know devettes sucks ass. I thought I'd get the closest shave of my life and bleed like a pig. However, I never could get even a DFS, just a patchy SAS at best.

Looking forward to the video of yours too 👍

Hmmm, I could probably do something like that to a dollar store razor

Back