The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Strop Dragging My Journal Around...

Shave #220

What goes up...

Razor - Dovo Prima SS
Brush - vulfix badger
Soap - Bee Hive bay rum (sample)
After - H et V C&CC

Well, with a handful of stellar shaves in a row under my belt, it was inevitable that I would have an "okay" one soon... and this was that shave.

I had given the Dovo a little run on the new 12K Naniwa stone, and it was popping hairs very well...so I was excited for this shave.

Perhaps I didn't get the sample of Bee Hive that KJ sent me lathered properly (it was on the thin side)...or perhaps prep was bad in some other way...but this just wasn't up to the standard of GREAT shaves I've been having lately. It wasn't terrible...but there were a couple weepers, and my neck felt a little sore with that AS splash. One of those shaves that would have been in the very good column a hundred shaves ago. As always...rising standards are a double edged sword. Or, I guess, razor...

Onward and shaveward...

Brad...LOVE that PIC!!!

Sorry the shave wasn't as good for you as it should have been. But I think you are on to something...shaves that were perfectly acceptable a couple of years ago are now just down right uncomfortable. Good stuff either way!

Brad, cool pic with the DE and the Henri soap!

Bummer about the just "okay" straight shave, however. It is funny how our standards change over time.

Brad, cool pic with the DE and the Henri soap!

Bummer about the just "okay" straight shave, however. It is funny how our standards change over time.

Thanks, Chris - a little natural sunlight there!

And yeah, sometime okay is a drag...and sometimes it's just, well, okay. I'm ready to bounce back!

Good stuff Brad, even with the lacklustre shave. I think Chris hit the nail on the head when he spoke about shaves that would have been stellar a few years ago being mediocre now. It just makes the next shave that much better!

Hey I consider any straight razor shave that doesn't require First Aid a successful shave!

Shave #221

Razor - Joseph Rodgers
Brush - vulfix badger
Soap - SocCal Hipster (sample)
After - Stirling Ozarks balm

Well, maybe the Naniwa 12K wasn't some simple cure for everything...

The J Rodgers was another SR I've had in my collection for a while that has never quite lived up to it's reputation for me - which I know has everything to do with my honing. So it was another one I was excited to get into shape with the new stone...

I think it is plenty sharp (although it still kinda caught on my pesky, wiry blond hairs at the edge of my upper lip), but it felt a little bit harsh. Not burning like in the photo - but not super smooth. I think I'm gonna try a bit of JNAT love with it after a couple more laps on the 12...
All in all, it did a good job...but I did do a final "ear to ear" along my jawline with the Shtick Injector, as it was just sitting there staring at me... The jawline section to the right of my chin is always the hold out for a "super smooth everywhere" shave - the stubble grows east-west there, including just under my jawline. It's still hard for me to get at this perfectly with a SR...and I have to admit the introduction of the safetys into my life (thanks Spidey) has made this area more doable...

And speaking of Spidey, I tried another sample he sent me...the SoCal Hipster. Love this soap! I don't think I'm so good at lathering samples, as again it was a little on the thin side...but it still performed well. And the scent! A sweet, fruity smell with a woodsy undertone...very southern Cali to me! I am, as a matter of fact, heading there in a couple weeks, so may just have to seek this soap out! Mmmm.

Going with the woodsy undertone, I decided to finish off with the Stirling Ozark balm...which is more of a spicy, coniferous tone...but also lovely.

So, a decent shave, with some refinement left to do on the JR SR!

Onward and shaveward....

Looks like your razor is possessed. That Spirit is trying to get out!

Glad you like the SoCal Hipster... I wasn't a fan.

I you watch just about any of my videos you can see how I lather samples. Basically I smoosh the whole sample into a shallow lather bowl, until it is about 3" in diameter. After that, it's just like loading off a puck.

Shave #222

A quick one....

Razor - Injector
Brush - badger
Soap - Stirling Bergamot Lavender
After - TOBS Jermyn ST

Well, shave 222 was a rarity for me - a rushed shave! I was heading out for the long weekend to go camping with my brother and his family, and found myself totally under the gun for time...but also really wanting a shave! Enter the Injector!

I did not think to time this shave, (and had no time to take a picture) but it was very quick...and very nice. Three passes left me super smooth and with plenty of time...to discover my bedroom doorknob had broken and left me locked into my room. But that, as they used to say on Tales From The Riverbank, is another story....

Onward and shaveward....

Shave #222

A quick one....

Razor - Injector
Brush - badger
Soap - Stirling Bergamot Lavender
After - TOBS Jermyn ST

Well, shave 222 was a rarity for me - a rushed shave! I was heading out for the long weekend to go camping with my brother and his family, and found myself totally under the gun for time...but also really wanting a shave! Enter the Injector!

I did not think to time this shave, (and had no time to take a picture) but it was very quick...and very nice. Three passes left me super smooth and with plenty of time...to discover my bedroom doorknob had broken and left me locked into my room. But that, as they used to say on Tales From The Riverbank, is another story....

Onward and shaveward....

Excitement!

Hope it was a fun time!

Strop Dragging said:
discover my bedroom doorknob had broken and left me locked into my room. But that, as they used to say on Tales From The Riverbank, is another story...
I’ve got time!

Great quick shave Chris!

I've had the door know come off in my hand before and have had the internal workings lock up too. The last one is the worst, if you are on the side the screws are not on!

Back