The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Straight Razor Restoration Thread

This razor belonged to my Great Grandpa, Frank Joseph Luecke(born in 1893). It came to me from my father, as is in the top photo, with a set of cracked scales and rust all over. I replaced the scales with a set of period scales and repainted them to their original look. I hand sanded the razor and didn’t want to make it perfect, but wanted to leave some scars. This razor was likely made in the early 1910’s and was likely purchased before my grandfather went off to WWI.

I’ll hone it and shave with it this weekend and again on February 9th, his birthday(128th). This is a very cool heirloom to own and I’m very proud of it.

A little more history, my Dad gave this to me exactly 4 years ago today! Woah! I’m so glad I finally got to peen it on lunch today. Not super proud of my pin work, may redo them, but they will work for now.

View attachment 46263
View attachment 46264
Beautiful razor Matt. Your grandpa would be proud!

That is some amazing work. What is your restoration process?
Thank you,
I started high then went low hand sanding it. Then some dremel sanding off a bench vise, then back to hand sanding from 600 up to 2000 grit wet/dry paper.
Back to the dremel to polish using MAAS with the cotton pads then the soft cotton disks.
For the scales I hand sanded then used tung oil a few times.

Thank you,
I started high then went low hand sanding it. Then some dremel sanding off a bench vise, then back to hand sanding from 600 up to 2000 grit wet/dry paper.
Back to the dremel to polish using MAAS with the cotton pads then the soft cotton disks.
For the scales I hand sanded then used tung oil a few times.
Very nice, thank you.

Is it conceivable that a guy could get those bolsters put on some other tribute style scales?
It is conceivable! You can melt the scales with Acetone and then gently transplant them onto what ever scales a man would like to use. I’ve thought about it in this case, but I may just fix the scales with some cleaver epoxy work.

I cleaned up and brought this old Shumate Razor Co. “Shumate’s Barber,” back to life(circa 1904-1920). It is an interesting example of a nickel plated straight razor. You don’t see too many of them, but this one I spotted a mile off. They have a dull/matte metal look to them also this one has a little bit of “bubbling” on the non-show side where the metal was starting to pit.
0E476D7B-46C5-4687-9473-86236A3A589E.jpeg
Cleanup didn’t take too long. I used 3k wet dry sand paper to knock off any minor rust I found. Then I took it to the buffers and cleaned up the scales which removed 90% of the discoloration. The scales seemed to have shrunk just a tiny bit and so the toe was catching on the wedge ever so slightly. I used a small file to mill down the inside edge of the wedge, rather than unpin and sand it down(decided against, because the pivot has little rust in it and why risk busting the scales). Finally I tightened the scales up a bit with about 150 light taps from my trusty pinning hammer.

I was getting nowhere quick at work today, so I took the afternoon off early(waiting on other people). So, I went ahead and honed it 1-4-8K on Naniwa Super Stones and then finished it on my Escher Barbers Delight Thuringian. This one just wanted to come together! It had a couple of small chips in the edge, about half the length of the bevel, so after working them out the edge came together really quickly.

I decided to go for the cycle, Cleaning, Restoring, honing, and shaving with it. It gave me a buttery smooth shave except for a small cut(due to my inattention). I’m really happy with how this one turned out! Now it’s off to a new home tomorrow, I hope it makes the new owner as happy as it’s made me!
FCE5C758-88A5-4299-8358-98A3231D32A8.jpeg

Back