The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Straight Razor Restoration Thread

Gotcha! Yes, I was just brainstorming. I'm much more interested in the mutual exchange of knowledge here. I'll read the terms and just keep it fun.
So, I have a tech question, are you using a pressure or vacuum pot?

Took the scales off of this Graff Cutlery Co. razor from @MilkCrate and have managed to sand off the rust with 1000, 2000, and 0000 steel wool.

As the intended matching scales are black and this blade has some neato garage mod spine work, I have plans to blue the steel for that tripple black effect.

20221106_113000.jpg

I know I have to boil it in water to straighten it out but I don't have any spacers or clamps.... Ideas please?
I’d suggest using a heat gun instead of boiling water. They are fairly cheap to pick up and you don’t necessarily have to unpin the razor to straighten them if it’s a minor correction. If you had a heat gun you could simply hold the razor at a good distance from the gun, far enough away that it gets hot but the scales don’t burst into flames. Then focus on making micro adjustments, it’s really trial and error. The other option is to unpin them and lay them on a piece of tempered glass or something you know to be absolutely flat and then slowly add heat from the heat gun. Keep checking until flat and then place a book with a brick on it over them.

I’ve heard of the steam method or the boiling water method too, but I’ve never personally done it that way. Any way you go it’s all trial and error and you have to try it and see what works in order to learn something like this. Unfortunately sometimes a few razors may get binned in the process. Good luck!!!

After a recent leg operation I'm still unable to stand comfortably for any length of time so I've done no resto work for a couple months. Well, yesterday I'd had enough of that and needed to get my hands dirty. With the dodgy leg in mind, I new this resto had to be a quickie. So.......... I picked up this W&B near wedge some time ago. Steel was in very good nick, scales were trashed. I unpinned the razor and took to the steel with 3M Marine Metal Restore and 0000 steel wool. After just 20 mins the steel looked great. Some pitting and scars remain, but no sanding is gonna be done here. Blade has almost certainly had a light regrinding in the past and a fine job it was. Razor has taken a nice fine and even bevel. Found some scales from the spare parts box. I gave them a quick sanding and a wipe with neatsfoot oil. Repinned with solid stainless collars. Turned out nicely given the quick job done. Sorry, no before pics. Thanks for looking, Mick.

DSCN1190.JPG

DSCN1184.JPG
20230415_091651.jpgDSCN1188.JPG

After a recent leg operation I'm still unable to stand comfortably for any length of time so I've done no resto work for a couple months. Well, yesterday I'd had enough of that and needed to get my hands dirty. With the dodgy leg in mind, I new this resto had to be a quickie. So.......... I picked up this W&B near wedge some time ago. Steel was in very good nick, scales were trashed. I unpinned the razor and took to the steel with 3M Marine Metal Restore and 0000 steel wool. After just 20 mins the steel looked great. Some pitting and scars remain, but no sanding is gonna be done here. Blade has almost certainly had a light regrinding in the past and a fine job it was. Razor has taken a nice fine and even bevel. Found some scales from the spare parts box. I gave them a quick sanding and a wipe with neatsfoot oil. Repinned with solid stainless collars. Turned out nicely given the quick job done. Sorry, no before pics. Thanks for looking, Mick.

View attachment 109214

View attachment 109216
View attachment 109217View attachment 109215
Excellent!!!

Back