The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Straight Razor Restoration Thread

After getting that chip out of the other one successfully, I am sure you will get this on straightened out quickly. Good Luck.
Well that roll over ding on the toe did come out, but it took the toe up a bit high. Since I'm not willing to take the whole edge up that high, it will just be a bit missed.

Overall everything cleaned up well, up to 0.3 micron.

The other thing that might go in the future are the scales. They are stretched out from someome cramming the razor deep into them when closed.

20210122_205315.jpg

Working on this Shumate Pacemaker, the overall geometry seemed quite well done. I did find a bit of edge rot near the toe, but figured it wouldn't take much to hone that out. Everything cleaned up well, but my shave today indicates that I may need to start over on the edge. Though "sharp enough" I think the bevel may be off.

20210124_140038.jpg

20210124_140133.jpg

20210124_152755.jpg

Polishing up a Fremont Cutlery, nickel plated razor. Decided to cover up the gold wash and etching, to protect it from being removed. All I had at hand was Iryna’s sparkly pink nail polish...
0C7A7D5B-F2D5-4D14-813A-AC8E1AC075F5.jpeg
Also finalized the finishing touches on the scales for my Great Grandfather’s Torrey. Now I just need to peen it and get her honed!
02FE0892-D99B-4B0E-BFEE-813FACD6DF9B.jpeg

Polishing up a Fremont Cutlery, nickel plated razor. Decided to cover up the gold wash and etching, to protect it from being removed. All I had at hand was Iryna’s sparkly pink nail polish...
View attachment 46192
Also finalized the finishing touches on the scales for my Great Grandfather’s Torrey. Now I just need to peen it and get her honed!
View attachment 46191
She turned out pretty good! Removed the polish in about 10 seconds with Acetone.
C630CD2D-BC78-41C5-865D-64CC95351366.jpeg

This razor belonged to my Great Grandpa, Frank Joseph Luecke(born in 1893). It came to me from my father, as is in the top photo, with a set of cracked scales and rust all over. I replaced the scales with a set of period scales and repainted them to their original look. I hand sanded the razor and didn’t want to make it perfect, but wanted to leave some scars. This razor was likely made in the early 1910’s and was likely purchased before my grandfather went off to WWI.

I’ll hone it and shave with it this weekend and again on February 9th, his birthday(128th). This is a very cool heirloom to own and I’m very proud of it.

A little more history, my Dad gave this to me exactly 4 years ago today! Woah! I’m so glad I finally got to peen it on lunch today. Not super proud of my pin work, may redo them, but they will work for now.

4B7A2E2F-47C1-464F-BF0E-A56FD2967EFB.png
4587D69E-6301-49D0-8DEA-93522DC2DEA9.jpeg

This razor belonged to my Great Grandpa, Frank Joseph Luecke(born in 1893). It came to me from my father, as is in the top photo, with a set of cracked scales and rust all over. I replaced the scales with a set of period scales and repainted them to their original look. I hand sanded the razor and didn’t want to make it perfect, but wanted to leave some scars. This razor was likely made in the early 1910’s and was likely purchased before my grandfather went off to WWI.

I’ll hone it and shave with it this weekend and again on February 9th, his birthday(128th). This is a very cool heirloom to own and I’m very proud of it.

A little more history, my Dad gave this to me exactly 4 years ago today! Woah! I’m so glad I finally got to peen it on lunch today. Not super proud of my pin work, may redo them, but they will work for now.

View attachment 46263
View attachment 46264
Absolutely awesome! To have a piece of personal history brought back to its purpose is a great feat.

View attachment 46263
View attachment 46264
Nice work Matt, that will be a great shaver. The scales turned out nice.

PSA!!!

So, watching Matt @Luecke3262 hone some straight razors on our Zoom call last night really inspired me to dig some of my project razors out and do some work on them.

But... apparently the universe had other plans, and I almost lopped off the end of my middle finger. This pic was after I changed out the bandage the second time.
20210128_194749[1].jpg

So for all the new guys doing razor restorations (and the experienced ones too) please stay focused and be careful, straight razor cuts can be nasty.

I was hand sanding the blade to get some marks out. It only takes a few seconds to tape the edge up with electrical tape, which I should have done but obviously didn't. So remember --- If your going to be DUMB you better be tough.

PSA!!!

So, watching Matt @Luecke3262 hone some straight razors on our Zoom call last night really inspired me to dig some of my project razors out and do some work on them.

But... apparently the universe had other plans, and I almost lopped off the end of my middle finger. This pic was after I changed out the bandage the second time.

So for all the new guys doing razor restorations (and the experienced ones too) please stay focused and be careful, straight razor cuts can be nasty.

I was hand sanding the blade to get some marks out. It only takes a few seconds to tape the edge up with electrical tape, which I should have done but obviously didn't. So remember --- If your going to be DUMB you better be tough.
Glad to see you’re getting after it, but sorry to hear about your accident! I’ve done the exact darn thing a couple times, but I have reformed my self and finally bought a couple sets of knife gloves. They get filthy with steel shavings, but they clean with soap and water. The pair I have now, have likely serviced 30-40 razors. I’ll never forget the time I put the razor between my finger and my finger nail on my pointer finger!😭
More importantly, are you ok, do you think you need a stitch or two?
Yes new guys, pick up some PPE or tape the edge!

Glad to see you’re getting after it, but sorry to hear about your accident! I’ve done the exact darn thing a couple times, but I have reformed my self and finally bought a couple sets of knife gloves. They get filthy with steel shavings, but they clean with soap and water. The pair I have now, have likely serviced 30-40 razors. I’ll never forget the time I put the razor between my finger and my finger nail on my pointer finger!😭
More importantly, are you ok, do you think you need a stitch or two?
Yes new guys, pick up some PPE or tape the edge!
Thanks Matt, yeah I will be fine, I don't believe any stitches are needed. Your right about the gloves and I am very embarrassed to say that I have a pair of cut resistant gloves right in the drawer next to me but obviously wasn't wearing them.

Thanks Matt, yeah I will be fine, I don't believe any stitches are needed. Your right about the gloves and I am very embarrassed to say that I have a pair of cut resistant gloves right in the drawer next to me but obviously wasn't wearing them.
We’ve all been there brother, life is full of learning lessons....

Back