The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Stirred UP

Well here ya go..
MPGe is the abbreviation for “miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent.” It's an energy efficiency metric that was introduced by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 2010 to compare the amount of energy consumed by alternative fuel vehicles to that of traditional gas-powered cars

1598019569932.png

Well here ya go..
MPGe is the abbreviation for “miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent.” It's an energy efficiency metric that was introduced by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 2010 to compare the amount of energy consumed by alternative fuel vehicles to that of traditional gas-powered cars

View attachment 33182
So does that mean for every 100+ miles you drive, you are paying about $4 in electricity to charge up your EV? (Serious question). And now that the epa has established this figure (validity and accuracy aside) does this mean a per mile (or 3 loonies and whatever) tax is coming?

Well here ya go..

View attachment 33182
Based on their charts though, it would cost me approximately 22 dollars to fully charge the most economical version. The full range on one charge is half of the range I get in my car on one fill up at roughly the same cost as one charge.
So it would cost me twice as much per week to drive it just back and forth to work. Probably more because if the hills and needing to run the defroster and heaters through 4 or 5 months of the year.
Plus our main power station is coal, so it is still a drain on fossil fuels.

In a city where there are charging ports everywhere and running on hydro or windmill electric, absolutely. But they still aren't a great choice for everywhere yet.
From my understanding they don't do as well in the snow either. Only because of the electric drive. They produce too much torque right from the start making you break traction and have trouble starting off.

So does that mean for every 100+ miles you drive, you are paying about $4 in electricity to charge up your EV? (Serious question). And now that the epa has established this figure (validity and accuracy aside) does this mean a per mile (or 3 loonies and whatever) tax is coming?
Cost at home is of course based on your electric rates. I get charging for free at the Tesla charges so in that aspect it costs me nothing fuel wise to drive. At home, around here they have an EV rate you can switch your billing to, with lower night rates and then set your car not to start charging until those lower rates kick in. But I know our low rate is similar to the most expensive rate my parents have in Oregon.

They have increased our annual registration fees to make up some of the tax money lost by not buying gas.

@ShawnF practicality is all up the individual and I'll agree they aren't for everyone. As I've stated before we actually use a gas SUV for road trips with the family. Also around here, if you're going to live in your house long enough, it pays off to get solar installed and then again you're driving for free. Not to mention no oil changes, transmission service, less brake wear etc etc.

In terms of winter driving, it actually performs very well because of the weight. There are some good YouTube videos pairing a Tesla SUV vs a Hummer on a snow-covered hill. Yes it has a ton of torque, but also a lot of control over it. But, you can imagine how batteries perform in the freezing cold. Effects the range of course.

I definitely didn't mean to come across as saying anyone that had them made a bad choice @NurseDave Not by any means. And I agree with you, it is definitely up to individual needs as to what is best for them.
I would actually love to have solar panels where I am at. I could catch from either side the way my house is positioned and pretty much collect all day long. The initial startup is whats holding me back right now.

I am going to check out the comparison you mentioned. I am interested to see how they actually perform. Admittedly my information was from a hybrid dealer saying people were unhappy with the winter performance. However he never said how many or if they really even knew how to drive haha.

My first purchase from Mercari was pretty frustrating. We finally decided to get smart speakers to use as an intercom system. I found some used Google Nest Minis and bought them. Turns out the seller upgraded from version 1 to version 2, put the old ones in the new boxes, and sold them as version 2 speakers. We'll see how the return and refund go.
So instead of replacing them, we went for the Echo Dots instead, currently on sale for $30.

People that use the phrase "Not gunna lie".

Okay? So when you don't point that out we can assume you might be lying? Takes it to extra stupid when applied to something there would be no reason to lie about. "Not gunna lie, I like scotch over Whiteclaw".

People that use the phrase "Not gunna lie".

Okay? So when you don't point that out we can assume you might be lying? Takes it to extra stupid when applied to something there would be no reason to lie about. "Not gunna lie, I like scotch over Whiteclaw".
That one is not as bad as " I'll Be honest with you" so we assume you are not honest to begin with????

Back