The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SOTD February 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 February, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

It's a wet, dreary day. One of those days where you just want to stay in bed. If there's any upside it's that "Sand Mountain Sam" (Alabama's "Punxsutawney Phil" but an opossum) did NOT see his shadow today! So that means an early Spring! EAT IT, PHIL!!!

View attachment 104120

Great shave this morning. This type weather IMO just begs for deeper, richer scent notes so I went with MacDuffs "American Vintage" shave soap. Wonderful tobacco / woody notes with light spice. Fantastic lather for two passes with the Aristocrat and I finished with a splash of Derby City Chop Shop's "Winter Reserve" shave tonic and several sprays of Phardon "Tabac Rouge". Great complementary frag for the soap!

Hope you have a great day. :)

MacDuffs Soap Co. "American Vintage" Shave Soap / WWBW "Rosé Noir" ST Badger / Aristocrat / Polsilver
Alum / Derby City Chop Shop "Winter Reserve" Shave Tonic / Phardon "Tabac Rouge" EdP

View attachment 104112
Thank you very much for the counter-prediction. It is welcome news.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Fri 3 SR Comparison Shave
Soap Saponificio Varesino Opuntia
Brush Zenith 28mm Boar
Razor 1 Dorko 43 Near Wedge
Razor 2 Titan ACRM-2 African Timber Scale
Aftershave RazoRock Mudder Focker Splash
This is just a top-shelf soap with a super creamy and very slick lather, whipped up easily by the unbelievably soft & large boar brush. Soap & AS scents matched nicely!
Today's shave was to compare one of my top SRs with a buttery smooth edge with this Titan after putting it through the LaLune & the full diamond balsa progression. Both were strop on the Kanayama. Dorko (easily passes the HHT) was on the left & Titan (absolutely failed TTT/HHT) was on the right. 3passes and Dorko did not fail...super nice and efficient but the surprise was the Titan...it did very well, and the edge was very comfortable and more efficient than the initial use. Overall, Dorko's result was bbs-ccs while Titan's was dfs-sas. Some red creeper and minor irritation on the left...hahaha. Delightful comparison...

View attachment 104174
Dorko for the win! Both razors look beautiful my friend - great shave!

Merkur HD 34G Razor
Bolzano Superinox Blade (3)
Muhle HJM Black Fiber 21mm Brush

Petal Pusher Fancies Neroli Shaving Soap

Stirling Blu Post Shave Balm
73a67d7ff97e1f5b6bd34a1b0e8ad7af.jpg

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

3 February, 2023

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Great end-of-the-workweek shave today. Went with Phoenix Shaving's "Lo Haiku" soap and splash which is their homage to the infamous "Hai Karate" of yore. Not for the faint of heart, this stuff packs a punch! Definitely a rager! Also not something to wear in the warmer months. A cooler-weather scent if there ever was one. Muted citrus top with strong base of woods, green notes, musk and powder. Super thick and slick lather for two passes and I finished with the matching splash and Creed "Tabarome" Millésime.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Phoenix Shaving "Lo Haiku" Shave Soap / YAQI "Moka Express" Badger / W. Hohn Custom / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Lo Haiku" After Shave Splash / Creed "Tabarome" Millésime

IMG-1397.jpg

SOTD: 02/03/2023

1675437130051.jpeg

Razor: Yates Precision 921 Custom
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow), 4th use
Brush: Oumo Brush Golden Age Ebony Badger
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Black Mug
Preshave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave Soap
Soap: West Coast Shaving Chypre Puck
Aftershave: West Coast Shaving Chypre Aftershave
Balm: Barrister & Mann Le Grand Chypre Balm
Additional Care: Zingari Man Rescue Potion
Fragrance: Naughton and Wilson Chypre Fulminare EdP

3 February 2023

5DE94E1F-AF4E-4637-93DB-1E7CCEAA4503.jpeg

Razor: Gillette Tech (Triangle Slot Fat Handle)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword , 5th use
Brush: Omega 011842 Premium Jade
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Standard “Rawhide” Bowl
Preshave: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements GLO TUBE 2.0 Soap
Soap: Geo. F. Trumper Officers And Gentlemens Puck
Aftershave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica Aftershave
Balm: Nivea Aftershave Balm Balm

Friday AM 2023-02-03
Birthdate in 1480 of explorer Ferdinand Magellan
yuWXhks.jpg

Rooney Polo 1 Ivory Finest (24/54)
Hemingway Accoutrements shaving cream + Trumper Coconut shaving cream mixture
Paradigm Diamondback
Iridium Super (4)
Hemingway Accoutrements aftershave

A sort of tropical shave on this cool morning. The fruity Hemingway cream blended really well with the Trumper coconut, and the Polo made wonderful lather with them. The IR blade was almost as smooth in the Diamondback as the vintage blades I usually use, and it is the only modern blade that I really like.
kCtHJOY.jpg
3EmQVQo.jpg

Dorko for the win! Both razors look beautiful my friend - great shave!
Hey, much thanks! Dorko steel is indeed something special. The Titans are very nice too especially the timber scales. I am absolutely and helplessly inside the straight razor hole unable to climb back out...but I love it..hahaha!

Sat 4
Soap OSP Bayrum
Brush DS Cosmetics 26mm Silvertip
Razor Friedr Herder Abr. Sohn 77
Aftershave Aqua Velva Ice Blue
Nice soap for the aromatic scent and good quality lather...whip up pleasurably with the large badger brush...
Today's shave with this excellent razor was very enjoyable. Buttery smooth and crisp edge after stroping on the 0.1um balsa and Kanayama leather. 3passes for a bbs-dfs finish...

20230204_112143.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back