The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Song Battle!

Boy, that was a bold choice of a song for SRV to cover, it came off better than I expected tbh. Delta Blues and pop funk are just so close but so far musically.

Still, like so many of these, it's just hard to top an original classic, though I found that live version to drag on just a little too long.

Have to go with the older Allman Bro’s live version for Whipping Post. Duane was a beast
True but Warren Haynes is a beast in his own right. Any man who tours all year with Phish, Gov’t Mule, Allman Brothers, The Dead...all while doing his own solo stuff gets Guitar Guru of the year in my books any day.

Whew, you guys when to town in here. ok heres the next one from me.

Personally i think Hinder did a better job with this one.

Have to agree with you here Kyle...I think Hinder did it better. And man! watching the videos...talk about two completely different takes on that song!

and one more... for the reasons...

I have heard the Minor Key Version of a bunch of songs and I think a lot of them are pretty great. But they are not versions I would listen to all the time, or really just more than once or twice. So Hoobastank gets my nod on this one.

Ok, how about a classic jam!

Early Version

Great Cover

Acoustic Cover

My main man Frank Zappa doing a fairly straight cover

Later Version and arguably the best
I'm going with Frank Zappa on this one. Not sure why...I just liked it more.

I grew up listening to Guns n' Roses, but I really think I like the Shovels and Rope version better. I think there is more depth of vocals and the Bridge towards the end really gets me on this one!

True but Warren Haynes is a beast in his own right. Any man who tours all year with Phish, Gov’t Mule, Allman Brothers, The Dead...all while doing his own solo stuff gets Guitar Guru of the year in my books any day.

It's so tough between those two. IMO the raw feeling of the song comes out in the first version, but man the guitar chops in the later version were just out of this world.

Whatever The Who themselves think, for me it's The Who all the way, not even close. Rodger Daltrey has the best yell in rock IMO and it just shines here.

I grew up listening to Guns n' Roses, but I really think I like the Shovels and Rope version better. I think there is more depth of vocals and the Bridge towards the end really gets me on this one!

Don't hate on me, but G&R has always rubbed me the wrong way. But that S&RMCK version was just gorgeous, I'm with you on this one Don.

Don't hate on me, but G&R has always rubbed me the wrong way. But that S&RMCK version was just gorgeous, I'm with you on this one Don.
I wouldn't hate on you at all Cole! Yeah that was my thoughts on the Shovels and Rope version too!

It's so tough between those two. IMO the raw feeling of the song comes out in the first version, but man the guitar chops in the later version were just out of this world.
Hey the originals are always the best that was analog tape...dubs were spliced or just done over and over again until it was what it was. Listen to the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore. Nuff said. I get excited when I hear Trucks and Haynes play it because I know Duane would have gone “Damn! That was a good run!” Good is good and they are both good...but I jam the originals every time I can!

Back