The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Song Battle!

Well I am all over this....we use to play The Lemonheads version

Mrs. Robinson...the original well, almost

The Lemonheads...

I totally forgot about The Lemonheads’ version of this! Definitely going with them here

This one is so easy, it’s almost not worth posting... although I still hear the WRONG version too many times.

Wagon Wheel—OCMS or Darius Rucker. OCMS 100% hands down, no contest. DR’s version is so campy, it has no edge!

No, I haven’t went up and yelled at the DJ at multiple weddings for playing the wrong version of the song... 🤪

might be the unpopular opinion but I have to go with Hootie on this one. Yes I know his name isn’t really Hootie but I think it’s funny....I actually had to learn this for the last band I was in and the song is really fun to play. The vocal harmonies were fun to work on too

Both of the alternate versions seem pretty solid, but Phil is Phil. Gotta go with the OG on this one!
Nonpoint made it more metal, but still kept with the original. In This moment made it darker and more somber, and Maria is a vocal beast IMO. But you are right, Phil is Phil. Definitely an amazing vocal talent that is hard to top.

Well I guess I’ll take a turn here. Once for each name because... @bentheduck, I’m taking a page from your book. Reasons.

Reason o: Rocky IV

Reason dos: James Bond

Reason 3: James And Freddie

Bullet, just because it's bullet. Really like them.

Not a huge fan of either version, but give the edge to G&R because it's heavier.

Queen. Queen rocks and I really don't like Metallica anymore. Loved the early stuff when they still were in it for the music and not just making a paycheck. Not so much now.

This one is so easy, it’s almost not worth posting... although I still hear the WRONG version too many times.

Wagon Wheel—OCMS or Darius Rucker. OCMS 100% hands down, no contest. DR’s version is so campy, it has no edge!

No, I haven’t went up and yelled at the DJ at multiple weddings for playing the wrong version of the song... 🤪

Umm...Duh! OLD CROW MEDICINE SHOW!!! Them dudes are great! Plus it's the original. Mr. Rucker does and okay job. OCMS is pretty awesome. By the way...if you ever get a chance to see OCMS...do it! Man do they put on a hell of a show. Plus, they are one of the few bands that I have heard that pretty much sound the same live as on their albums. Amazing!

Love all 3 versions of this one. Not sure if I could pick a favorite.

Okay Shawn...this one was much harder than I expected. I am with you...I like all three versions pretty good. I am giving this one to "In This Moment" though. Making a seemingly dark song...darker...man...that is pretty damn awesome. It's kind of reminiscent of The Deftones.

Well I guess I’ll take a turn here. Once for each name because... @bentheduck, I’m taking a page from your book. Reasons.

Reason o: Rocky IV

Reason dos: James Bond

Reason 3: James And Freddie

Good Lord Charlotte! That's a lot at one time. Oh well...here is my stab...

No Easy Way Out - I am recusing myself from this pick, because...well...this song sucks...period. 🤪

Live and Let Die - I don't mind Sir Paul's original...but I grew up to Guns N' Roses and to me this IS the Original. GN(f)R for the win!

Stone Cold Crazy - Wow! These versions are more similar than I remembered. I hate picking Metallica for anything (after the Napster BS and subsequently selling out on their musical styles)...but I will say that James and Lars and company did it better.

Speaking of the Deftones...

Sade or the Deftones

"No Ordinary Love" was a pretty sexy pop song in the 80s. In my opinion...the Deftones took sexy to a whole other level. And without over doing it! Up...I'm picking the Deftones on this one.

I have to comb through the rest of the posts but these popped into my head immediately when I saw this thread.
As much as I love the Police version the Walk off the Earth version is edging ahead currently.

Ok got some catching up to do now that i can take the time to listen to some of these. ok most of these lol

Waiting Room - Fugazi hands down. Also this was my fist time hearing this song at all.

Africa - Toto, Weezer (it's never seemed right to me to directly compare a song by an artist to a Choir version. They are generally done so differently that i just let them stand each as their own thing and appreciate them for what they are. That said i could listen to a loop of the first part of the Chorus video on loop as a sound machine recording. that was cool.)

Better things - Another one that's new to me. gonna have to give this one to Fountains of Wayne. I think it just comes down to their style being a bit more my style. enjoyed both though.

Man of Constant Sorrow - Home Free. Charm city devils were up against it for me on this one as i have been a huge fan of Home Free since they apeared of the Sing Off but while i did still like their version, is felt disjointed from the lyrics a bit for me.

In Bloom - Sturgill's version was really interesting but Nirvana still get it from me.

Mrs. Robinson - Simon and Garfunkel get this one. can't really put my finger on the reason why but i like it better.

Wagon Wheel - Darius gets this one cause the singers voice in the other one was driving me nuts.

In the Air Tonight - All 3 were great but In This Moment edged it out because of a couple cool moments in theirs.

No Easy Way Out - Rocky IV version. Its just classic.

Live and Let Die - McCartney all the way.

Stone Cold Crazy - this one was close but Queen gets it.

No Ordinary Love - honestly both of these were kinda meh for me.

Where is My Mind - a lot of those were cool but none really outdo the pixies.

Walking on the Moon - Walk of the Earth. that was a pretty cool version.

Whew, you guys when to town in here. ok heres the next one from me.

Personally i think Hinder did a better job with this one.

Here's one!
Image result for rick roll gif

Walking on the Moon - I'm not a big Police guy, but them by far, I actually enjoyed listening to it after not having heard it in ages.

Lips - Hinder for sure, better video too

The Reason - tough one, leaning towards Hooba.

Ok, how about a classic jam!

Early Version

Great Cover

Acoustic Cover

My main man Frank Zappa doing a fairly straight cover

Later Version and arguably the best

Back