The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Song Battle!

It's really hard to beat the Simon and Garfunkel version of Sounds of Silence. I am fond of Disturbed's version though. Slight edge to S&G though.

Man...I was fond of progresive rock when I was growing up in the 80s. I am giving the edge to Toto here...but man...That Choir looked like they were having some serious fun with that song. Though Weezer does a pretty good job too!

A lot of respect for the Chili Peppers especially what they did to Alternative Rock and Rock early on. But the Chili Peppers WISH they were Fugazi! And in my opinion...there is only one version of Waiting Room.

It's really hard to beat the Simon and Garfunkel version of Sounds of Silence. I am fond of Disturbed's version though. Slight edge to S&G though.

Man...I was fond of progresive rock when I was growing up in the 80s. I am giving the edge to Toto here...but man...That Choir looked like they were having some serious fun with that song. Though Weezer does a pretty good job too!

I forgot about that Wheezer version. Man it's really on the nose. I'm not sure I could tell right away who's Toto and who's Wheezer in a blind test.

I forgot about that Wheezer version. Man it's really on the nose. I'm not sure I could tell right away who's Toto and who's Wheezer in a blind test.
The biggest difference to me is the Chorus. It's a bit more 90s rock than 80s progressive rock. Plus Weird Al being in the video is a plus for me! 🤪

Africa is like Goodfellas for me. I don’t care where I am, I will always stop what I’m doing and listen to the song or watch the movie to the end.

Original:

(Sorry for the cheesy video but it’s the only one that I could find of the slightly longer version.)

Cover:

Interested to see what you all think...

Nirvana

or...

Sturgill Simpson

It's really hard to go against Nirvana...but I REALLY like Sturgill Simpson's version.

Well I am all over this....we use to play The Lemonheads version

Mrs. Robinson...the original well, almost

The Lemonheads...

I'll try to get caught up here.

Atlantic City: The Band definitely. Springsteen's sounds like every other song he's done. He's one of those artists that to me every song he does sounds the same as the last.

Sound of Silence: Definitely Disturbed. S&G did a very good version, but too perky sounding for the message. I think Disturbed portrays it better.

Africa: I like Leo Moracchioli's cover the best, but from the two posted, I'll pick Toto. Never really been a big chorus fan.

Fugazi: Neither really appeal to me, but I'd choose the Waiting Room version. Never really liked anything the Chili Peppers have done.

Better things: Think I'm going to give Fountains of Wayne the edge on this one.

Man of Constant Sorrow: I love the Soggy Bottom Boys version from the movie. Definitely my favorite bluegrass song. This one is really tough because both bands did an excellent job. I think the metalhead in me is going to go with Charm City Devils. They did a metal version, but actually stayed pretty true to the bluegrass version. Gotta love that.

In Bloom: Have to give this one to Nirvana. Not a huge fan of them, but the Sturgil Simpson version is too slow/sappy for the little bit I could listen to.

Mrs. Robinson. Gotta go with the Lemonheads on this one.

Think I'm caught up now...

This one is so easy, it’s almost not worth posting... although I still hear the WRONG version too many times.

Wagon Wheel—OCMS or Darius Rucker. OCMS 100% hands down, no contest. DR’s version is so campy, it has no edge!

No, I haven’t went up and yelled at the DJ at multiple weddings for playing the wrong version of the song... 🤪

This one is so easy, it’s almost not worth posting... although I still hear the WRONG version too many times.

Wagon Wheel—OCMS or Darius Rucker. OCMS 100% hands down, no contest. DR’s version is so campy, it has no edge!

No, I haven’t went up and yelled at the DJ at multiple weddings for playing the wrong version of the song... 🤪

Gotta go OMCS on this one. Bluegrass sound with hipster dancers, that's a heck of a good combo! Plus I really do like the song version better, it's really not just the girls.... 😜

Back