The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Song Battle!

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Let's do something a little different here. Not sure how this will turn out...but let's take a crack at it.

Pick one song that was performed by two different artists. Videos are appreciated, but not required. The Cadre then discusses which one is better.

I'll go first.

I absolutely love this song...but when I discovered The Band's version of it...I fell in love with it again.

So...which version is better...The Band or Bruce Springsteen

I might be partial to The Band's version because it's a little "Blue Grassy" and that's kind of the phase I am in at the moment. But all in all I think the Band's version is better.

And to be fair...Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats have a REALLY good version of it but i am having a hard time finding a suitable video of it.

This thread reminds me of the song Hurt. I think Cash sang it better, and even NIN has said that after he sang the song it was his.
seems to me that is exactly what this thread is about. that was one of 2 songs that came to mind immediately.

@dangerousdon What is the protocol for posting a new song? is there a certain amount of time that should be observed between them for discussion?

seems to me that is exactly what this thread is about. that was one of 2 songs that came to mind immediately.

@dangerousdon What is the protocol for posting a new song? is there a certain amount of time that should be observed between them for discussion?
No rules. If you want to throw a song out there go for it!

Ok here is a big one for me.

I'm not sure i have ever heard a version of this i didn't like but these two are the best, with Disturbed just barely taking it in my opinion.

Ok here is a big one for me.

I'm not sure i have ever heard a version of this i didn't like but these two are the best, with Disturbed just barely taking it in my opinion.

Man that is a hard one! Love that song, and I agree not a version I really don't like. But with the two posted I also give the slight nod to Disturbed.

Springsteen.

Disturbed.

Image result for he gets it gif

Not a Springsteen fan (I’m from Jersey so I’m allowed to hate him and Bon Jovi lol). I’m just not a fan of his voice. I will say that his probably one of the best songwriters of our time though.

I have to go with S&G for The Sound of Silence. There something about Disturbed’s version that I feel misses the mark. It’s good but not quite great.

I like both of the Atlantic City versions for different reasons, but prefer the S&G over Disturbed.

I like this cover better than the original.

I'm not from Jersey and never liked Springsteen either, I got about 1/3 through that his version, which is good for me.
The Band

Simon and Garfunkel's version just can't be topped, even more so in context of The Graduate, one of my top 10 movies of all time.

Africa, Toto, didn't make it though the other one, I did the live Toto version, even though it's not one of my favorite songs.

Back