The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

So eBIG stuff on the horizon

CBLSoap.com

a.k.a. CBLindsay
Artisan Retailer
Legacy
Concierge
Aside from the TSC anniversary soaps, the ETHOS/CBL Soap Fresh Lime collaboration and the Master Barber ‘samples’ that have made their way into the wild, I may not appear like much has been going on with CBL Soap this year...but appearances can be deceiving.

CBL Soap has NOT been harmed or forced to slow/curtail activities in any way because of the COVID lock-down. I have had no trouble getting my hands on supplies in the amount needed and in a timely fashion...which is good because I have been buying a LOT. What the COVID lock-downs HAVE done is slow me down. Between my “day job” and family medical concerns made FAR more difficult by COVID, What I suffered from a severe shortage of time, energy and momentum.

In many ways nothing has changed, the day job is still demanding a ton of time, the medical needs are still hamstrung by COVID (still a major drain), BUT there has been some progress on the BIG STUFF front. Nothing is being released yet but SOON there will be some smaller items then BOOM! You’ll see some amazing new stuff from CBL. HANG IN THERE!

Yeah sorry for the problems you have been experiencing.. hope it gets better soon for you.

Sorry about the issues Chris, but I am glad to hear you are doing alright. Looking forward to the releases!

It seems like you are managing everything well...but your stress from the medical situations hopefully will be alleviated soo, Saying a prayer for you and your wife.

Now...really? What a tease! I demand more information on what I am going to through my money at! 🤪

1595592341692.png

Medical concerns and stress is never easy on a “good day” and I know well the COVID angle. Hang in there. Looking forward to the news...

So sorry to hear about the Covid impact on your family Chris - I unfortunately know first hand what that's like.

Looking forward to seeing what's coming up next from CBL.

These are rough times. Even with a job, the ability to work from home, or whatever.. the reality creeps up on you eventually. The problem is, we usually don't see it coming.

Access to doctors, supplies, basics we take for granted every day as a 'first world society'. Even the ability to unwind, let loose and go to a game, the beach, a restaurant, or whatever is hampered.

We become recluse pressure cookers and all the while we think, "I don't have to commute to work, life is easy". Boom! We're blind-sided.

You'll make it through Chris. You have your own 100-Dave cheering squad right here.

I know you said your work is extra demanding. Still, find some time and find a safe way to escape. A picnic in a less known spot (open field somewhere?)? A movie night in the backyard? Something a little different and away. Give yourself, your family, a little shore-leave (hey don't we feel like we're locked up on a ship these days?).

I'm going to repeat myself, because it's that important... We're here for you.

It seems like you are managing everything well...but your stress from the medical situations hopefully will be alleviated soo, Saying a prayer for you and your wife.

Now...really? What a tease! I demand more information on what I am going to through my money at! 🤪

View attachment 30602
Oh you KNOW I will...just not yet. You know I try to keep my prices reasonable, these new things coming will have a higher average price tag due to their higher input cost and SUPER premium nature (because everything else is ‘just’ premium) but I don’t think anyone will be put off by the prices.

...and thanks for the well wishes guys.

Oh and...our friend @Cvargo had a great idea I may use. I’ve been wanting to clean house and reduce old stock to make room for the new. I also have a bunch of one-off or small count products I just can’t see putting the time in to putting on the website. Chad suggested “Grab Bags”. I have a lot of cool stuff (including some razors and brushes) I just want to turn into empty space (and cash) so I may post some grab bags or product photo’s here that can be purchased through my web store using a special item code that has no additional description (easy for me-easy for you).

Do what you gotta do to make your personal life easier. I have no doubt that nobody here has an issue with you setting the soap on a back burner for a few minutes while you handle your personal business. Time is a precious commodity. That being said, like everybody else, I'm really looking forward to what you have lined up.

Oh and...our friend @Cvargo had a great idea I may use. I’ve been wanting to clean house and reduce old stock to make room for the new. I also have a bunch of one-off or small count products I just can’t see putting the time in to putting on the website. Chad suggested “Grab Bags”. I have a lot of cool stuff (including some razors and brushes) I just want to turn into empty space (and cash) so I may post some grab bags or product photo’s here that can be purchased through my web store using a special item code that has no additional description (easy for me-easy for you).
Grab bags can be cool. Like the one I posted about I got from someone the other day.. They just throw stuff in a bag and get it to a certain weight. They don't even label what the soap scents are just the weight. Pretty simple. I agree with the others. I look forward to seeing/ hearing about what's coming up when the time is right for you.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your situation Chris. These are just very unusual times we are going through and even the simplest things we took for granted suddenly is not. Looking forward to your new stuff and your grab bags.

UPDATE
I have some new stuff ready to go but I will have limited ability to fill orders over the next few days (maybe until won’t be Tuesday (8-25-20)) so I may delay showing the new stuff on the website. I have several new soaps on deck, and will be adding some feather/Kai type razors (and blades) and maybe some shave ready vintage straights to the website. I still have some bigger things in the works but I won’t be saying much more about those things until I get a little closer. ...just know they are BIG and EXCITING.

here are the soaps ready to go all are tonsorial/master barber soaps (all sold as paper wrapped pucks about 2.5oz in size) Of one type or another:
OH-MANthol-menthol and ws-5 with no other scents.
Back-Alley Barber-(Italian style barbershop with a small twist)
Barbeire Vichingo- an Italian barbershop with a bigger twist
Poseidon- aquatic, oceanic...and the faint scent of screaming dolphin butts (a nod to @NurseDave’s special request) *dave will be getting a special version of this one sent to him soon.
Dragons blood- yup, the CBL dragons blood in a master barber puck
Peanut butter - smaller 1.25-1.5oz pucks. @cbargo asked and CBL delivered.
Far-a-Way- a green fougere/fresh cut grass scent that is inspired by the irreplaceable original “fairway” from Saint Charles Shave soap. It’s a little strong but it’s aging as we speak.

I’ve had to increase my flat rate shipping to $5.25 from $4.50 but I am exploring other ways to ensure shipping is predictable and fair (for all of us) without causing me to absorb huge amounts of added expense or forcing the average order to pay a lot more than is reasonable. *when the bigger stuff that is coming hits, it will be more important to get the shipping right so I can keep the costs fair and reasonable. And of course the post office is/will be adding shipping surcharges as we get closer to Christmas, I want to be able to absorb those if possible (because they are expected to be temporar but we will need to see.

My wife has been working hard on a side business of her own which will include her/us doing some farmers markets. She wants to include CBL soaps and reconditioned shave ready razors (and brushes) so this may Impact stock in unpredictable ways. I will try to share items with the cadre when possible but it may be a simple photo drop. I’ve set my wife up with a retail website of her own BUT you may see some of her stuff on CBLSOAP.COM and some of my hardware on her website.

other than these things, I have been very busy working on several “Bespoke” software packages. These are time consuming and costly but OH so much fun for everyone involved. I may be introducing a Bespoke line of products/services as we near year end.

Cool stuff Chris, I noticed the website looked upgraded. Congrats on having NO time anymore (y)
I hope to have more time soon. I did just do some upgrades to the website (today mostly) but I considered doing a complete overhaul...that’s going to wait until I get my wife’s website fine tuned and confirm it meets her needs, I don’t want to be building TWO sites at once.

Back