The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

It's going to be slow..... It's about 110 in my little shop with the forge lit. And I got a hot piece of scale in the ear, so taking a break right now.

How do you know you are a blacksmith? You know how long you can hammer before you will need pliers to dig the hot scale out of your skin.

What? Sarcasm from little 'ol me?
1f607.png
1f606.png

So I broke out my little baby hammer today. It's an old 8 pound sledge head that I cleaned up, dressed the faces, and put a new handle on.

I used it to draw out a billet from a 2x4x1/2 inch piece of leaf spring. Then I shaped it up and gave it a rough grind.
This one is a bit special to me. May not mean anything to most of you, but it is my first knife and also my first real project from my coal forge.

I think you bought the wrong set of gloves Shawn...that on has four fingers and a thumb...by my account that is too many!
1f61c.png

Wow, Shawn! Excellent stuff, man. I am definitely going to reach out to you offline because I have a serious hankering for some of this kind of stuff.

So I got some time outside today. It was a bit rainy but cooler, so a good day to be in the shop.

Got the tobacco cutter drilled, quenched and tempered the other day, so today I finished grinding the profile and took it up to 220 grit. It is now ready for polishing and then the handle. I also forged out another blade and gave it a rough grind to get rid of the forge scale.

I started a 3rd blade but was getting ahead of myself and trying to do too much at once. I ended up burning the end of the billet. I went to hot cut the burnt end off and a piece popped of and nestled in between my hand and the hammer handle....... That tickled a little bit.
So I decided to shut the forge off and just finish the day grinding.

That knife just keeps looking better and better!

Choose a handle material yet?

OK, so I'm a little late to the party.(yes, I've been slacking) But, congrats on the Hobbyist badge and thread, Shawn!

Shawn, you already know what I think of your work but I suppose I should post it publicly: Awesome! Everything you craft is very beautiful while remaining very functional. I like it!

OK, so I'm a little late to the party.(yes, I've been slacking) But, congrats on the Hobbyist badge and thread, Shawn!

Shawn, you already know what I think of your work but I suppose I should post it publicly: Awesome! Everything you craft is very beautiful while remaining very functional. I like it!

Thanks Rob. I really appreciate that.

Got the board for the cutter planed and cut to size today.
Now everything is down to sanding, polishing, and finish.

Back