The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Shawn that sounds like one of my typical projects.
1f615.png
1f609.png
1f601.png

Very nice looking stuff Shawn. Good thing we were restricted to using GD razor blades for last year's GD mod competition. If you were allowed to make your own blade, the results would have been different. ;-)

Sorry Shawn for all the troubles...but I like that you are very resourceful and just keep at it. It shows to your good character. Glad the ceramic belt wasn't ruined. I just looked up a couple for comparison and those things a quite a bit more than the others. I am sure they are worth it though!
The place where I order them, a 60 grit aluminum oxide belt is $1.60. A single 60 grit blaze plus ceramic is $6.35. So yeah, they are a bit more haha. Although, so far they seem to cut a lot better. Now to see if I get enough life out of them and reduced grinding time to make it worth the difference.

Shawn that sounds like one of my typical projects.
1f615.png
1f609.png
1f601.png
That's why I like this hobby. If it makes me mad I just hit it again haha.

Very nice looking stuff Shawn. Good thing we were restricted to using GD razor blades for last year's GD mod competition. If you were allowed to make your own blade, the results would have been different. ;-)
Thanks! You were safe on that one though, I hadn't even finished getting my forge running properly at that time. It was around 3 months after that was over that I made my first blade.

I went down and got some angle iron today. It's basic, but there is no twist anymore and the tracking stays true.

Nicely done. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the ceramic belts once you've had them for a while.

Had a little bit of productive time today. Got the tobacco cutter almost completely profiled and ready for heat treat. Still needs a little work and holes drilled, but the bulk of it is finished.

Then I attempted something you guys have been asking about. If there is serious interest in them, I think I'll have to build some sort of jig to stay a little more consistent, but the prototype is full of mediocrity.

Practice makes perfect! You seem to have perfected the strap hook ends the first go around though!

Practice makes perfect! You seem to have perfected the strap hook ends the first go around though!

Do you mean the little scroll turns on the ends that I did in the video? Admittedly, those aren't my first, and they still aren't perfect.
I got my "eye" on the top a little off, and my twist is crooked too. I think I got it a little off when I twisted it, and didn't notice it until after I flattened it. Too late to really do much with it at that point.

The hook portion I think I could have done cleaner with the torch and a jig instead of trying to hammer it around out of the forge. Guess it depends on how you want it to look. Some people like the odd/rough look, I think I could have done better. So I guess it's how you look at it.

But I learn things with each project, and I know how I can do things a little differently on the next one.

I like where you’re going with that strop holder. I store my strops on a single hook attached to the side of my cabinet...they are stacked over each other so selecting a strop takes some work. Your design would certainly go a long way to fix that. When I use my strop I hange it from an entirely different (single) hook attached with a lag bolt.

Perhaps some one of the guys will post photos of their current set up with a wide enough shot to show how they fit into current decor. This might help you see what would work best. I’m inclined to think I must have an iron hook or two.

Thanks Chris.
I'm thinking of a few different things, one having a bar and multiple hooks. The only problem with that style is it limits where you can hang it. You either need to hang it on a cabinet, or it needs to be large enough to hit stud centers. That will take a lot of room on a wall and you need to know where your studs are.
Something like the one I just made, you can get away with only one screw. That opens the placement a bit.
Plus I only have 2 strops at the moment, so it was enough for me haha.

I'm still very open to suggestions though.

I don't know what you are making, but I bet it's not a toaster.

That was the tapering and scrolling for the ends of the strop hanger. There is a toaster oven behind me in the video if that counts.
1f61c.png

I use it to temper my blades after quenching them.

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing the tobacco cutter as it progresses.

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing the tobacco cutter as it progresses.

Thanks Eric. I'll make sure to keep posting photos. I helped make a delivery of doors, jambs, baseboard, and chair rail today and got two more knife orders out of it haha.

So, I finally got around to snapping a couple pics of how I hang my strops.

The first photo is where I store them. The hook is attached to the very corner of my cabinet next to the toilet ( I left the TP roll in the photo so it would be clear what size area we are talking about). The space usually has a trash can tucked into the same general area. This space works well for my den because all strops are SAFELY tucked away and not competing with the decor.

The second photo is where I actually hang the strop to strop razors. I wouldn’t say my shave den (master bath) is small BUT finding a place that allows a strop to be pulled out and free movement for stropping is not as easy as you would think. I don’t store any strops here for two reasons; one, it’s right next to the shower and window ...I don’t want my strops getting wet or dusty. Two, my wife would kill me because they compete with the decor. I usually hang a bath towel on the wall in this area so the hook is concealed. IF I had a set of matching hooks that looked nice, I could hang them on either side of the window (nice looking and symmetrical make SWMBO happy, happy) and double my options for use.

I don’t think I could get away with several side by side storage hooks but that would be quite nice because it would make selecting a strop easier. I might be able to put a nice looking hook on the wall rather than the cabinet...and MAYBE keep the one that is there now.

Thats my strop story, hope it helps inform your crafting.

Bonus photo.
This is the set up I made for my sons strops. Looks ok but it did get pulled out of the wall once.

I have a couple ideas. Let me get these blades formed up and I will give a few things a try and see what we can come up with.

Back