The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Thanks Chris!

Dave, The issues were just me trying to rush, and I know better. No worries, it's not the first time I've done something dumb, but at least it was an easy fix this time.
1f60b.png

For the thumb grip notches, I do those after. That way I can file the scales at the same time and not have the notches full of epoxy or missing my mark and getting them out of alignment.
It's looking insanely awesome man !! Thanks

Thanks. I should have the handle on it tomorrow night and then it's just sharpening and making the sheath. I'm hoping to have it done this week so you can take it on your trip.

Thanks Shawn. I honestly didn't expect to have it with me this trip but thought it was a possibility when I saw you started it. I know your pushing to get it done now and appreciate it. Have a great 1st day today and hoping in time it is a perfect fit or bridge to what is!!!

so what is your profession Shawn? have you been a Blacksmith long? your knowledge on metals is impressive. I am a Fiber optics tester mainly these days for Research and Education at U of U but needed something to do not work related took Up machinist work (got a certificate from a College in this) then decided I needed to learn welding got another certificate in that then saw a class on Blacksmithing took that and here I am have a lot of tools lathe, mill, Mig, stick, gas forge, RR anvils hydraulic press and working on a Appalachian power hammer.

The problem was beer. You didn't stop and slow down and have a beer before/while working on that.

so what is your profession Shawn? have you been a Blacksmith long? your knowledge on metals is impressive. I am a Fiber optics tester mainly these days for Research and Education at U of U but needed something to do not work related took Up machinist work (got a certificate from a College in this) then decided I needed to learn welding got another certificate in that then saw a class on Blacksmithing took that and here I am have a lot of tools lathe, mill, Mig, stick, gas forge, RR anvils hydraulic press and working on a Appalachian power hammer.

The job I just started is working on prefab metal buildings. Before that, I have been a tubing fitter, pipefitter, MIG/TIG/stick welder, fabricator, millwright, seismic driller, and the longest part of my work history was actually as an ironworker. I did a short bit climbing and cutting trees also.
I took 3 years of machining in highschool. We had a vocational school just up the road, so I went the first half of the day to regular school and then the second half I was there in a full machine shop. All manual machines back then though, but I learned some basic heat treating then too.

I built my first forge (if you want to call it that) in August of last year. Spent about a month and a half trying to get it to work right. Finally got it dialed in and made my first knife in the end of October of last year. Since then I've made one wood chisel, 20 knives, 3 tobacco cutters, and 2 straight razors.
I started on a RR anvil, and then found a 110 pound Vulcan for $200 and couldn't pass it up. I have my gas forge dialed in really good now, and I got a little coal forge earlier in the year with a Buffalo Forge hand crank blower. Haven't really played with it much though as the gas forge is just so much cleaner and consistent than a coal fire.

I have a 4x36 belt sander and an attachment for it that uses the drive and tracking wheels from it but turns it into a 2x48. Much better for what I'm doing and about a tenth of the cost of a 2x72. I would love to have a press, but for now, I'm just hand hammering everything.

Well I am just glad you found work. I am sure it isn't easy...but it's a paycheck!

you’ll be back in the swing of things in no time. Sounds like you have enough windshield time for some serious podcasts

Missed following this for awhile...

NO BINGO NUMBERS HERE!

Good stuff, sir. Hoping all goes well at the new job.

Finally got home before 7:30 for the first night this week..... The scales are on properly this time and curing. I should have them shaped and finished this weekend.

Finally got home before 7:30 for the first night this week..... The scales are on properly this time and curing. I should have them shaped and finished this weekend.
No worries Shawn. The new job comes first and I'll completely understand if it takes longer.

The hehe was for what Jim slipped in his comment hidden for the bingo Had hidden "NO BINGO NUMBERS HERE"

Thanks Dave. Still need work on my filing. Was trying a different pattern, but didn't get it perfect...

Back