The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

View attachment 92159

Fenomeno Leon- this is a Russian artisan advertised as a triple milled soap. They are currently on sale at Paseurs for like $15. Fantastic customer service and soaps arrived in like 2 days which is lightning fast!

This soap is a bit strange in that it is poured into container and not a loose puck like most triple milled soaps but it is hard as a rock so I believe this to in fact be a triple milled soap.

Scent of Leon is Rose with supporting notes. The wife says it smells like a old lady, but I find this to be a well made Rose floral with some spice to it.

Performance is pretty decent, soap lathered well with no issues and provided a decent shave. Perhaps not as luxurious as the Crown & Crane soaps but have been getting a bit spoiled by soap bases lately so entirely fair comparison. Overall not a bad soap and have no remorse with the sale price.
I’ll have to check them out! Pretty much all the Russian & Belarusian soaps and creams that I’ve tried are fantastic! My favorites are Everest shaving cream(I think it’s discontinued), Tet-a-Tet shaving cream, & TDS Evergreen Juniper soap. Most of the aftershaves from this region are fairly boozy, but not bad and their balms are mostly aloe/glycerin based(okay). Thanks for bringing this to my attention, also weird that it’s triple milled and poured, but I suppose it could be triple milled and poured as opposed to pressed.

Best,

Matt

View attachment 92158

Crown & Crane Peppered Plum- C&C is a fantastic artisan that has been around a while. Recently picked up a handful of samples and have to say I've been very impressed with some of the scents they have been coming up with. They are similar to Stirling samples and are thin 1 oz slices off a puck which is perfect for sampling IMO. Got my eye on you C&C to see what else you ha e up your sleeve.

Performance is top tier and they offer both a Vegan as well as Tallow base, this being the latter. Soap whips up a creamy shiny lather that is dense and as protective as could be.

Scent of Peppered Plum is by far the best Plum scent i have come across. It is unique and sweet without being overpowering. The "peppered" part is a supporting role and do not detect and peppery scent just a great fruity complex sweet scent. C&C has really come up with some great scents that are unlike anything else out there. Highly recommend this artisan for anyone curious and performance wise you wont be dissapointed!

Hope y'all are doing well Cadre. Much Love!
Wow....forgot all about Crowne&Crane...must give them another look.

I’ll have to check them out! Pretty much all the Russian & Belarusian soaps and creams that I’ve tried are fantastic! My favorites are Everest shaving cream(I think it’s discontinued), Tet-a-Tet shaving cream, & TDS Evergreen Juniper soap. Most of the aftershaves from this region are fairly boozy, but not bad and their balms are mostly aloe/glycerin based(okay). Thanks for bringing this to my attention, also weird that it’s triple milled and poured, but I suppose it could be triple milled and poured as opposed to pressed.

Best,

Matt

Another excellent Russian/ Eastern European soap is Vreto & Dendi. Tet-A-Tet is one that gets good reviews but have not tried it yet, so many choices so little time.

And yeah the Leon triple milled soap is very strange in appearance but it is hard as a rock.

20220925_152645.jpg

Yesterday's shave was CO Biggelow since I've been sick and have little sense of smell have been scooping soaps or using ones that scent doesn't really matter.

This rebrand Proraso is a fair performer and a good value when on sale. Not the most exciting shave but no real issues.

20220914_145206.jpg

Zingari Man Rogue- have used her previous formula Smitten Soapery and it is a excellent soap base so was long overdue to try the newer Zingari Man soap base.

It lathers up well and instantly could understand why so many people hold this base in close reguard. "Elite" soap base as they refer to it as. The scent is clean and fresh but hard to describe beyond that.

Hope y'all are doin well Cadre!

Best,

Matt
Here is a quick pic
20220926_220352.jpg

View attachment 94365

Zingari Man Rogue- have used her previous formula Smitten Soapery and it is a excellent soap base so was long overdue to try the newer Zingari Man soap base.

It lathers up well and instantly could understand why so many people hold this base in close reguard. "Elite" soap base as they refer to it as. The scent is clean and fresh but hard to describe beyond that.

Hope y'all are doin well Cadre!
Zingari Man is a great soap&smells nice, but maybe a little to high on the $$$$.

Zingari Man is a great soap&smells nice, but maybe a little to high on the $$$$.

Yea it is a little on the higher end but this is considered by many to be among the best of the best soap bases available these days (which is of course debatable). The samples are only a couple bucks so worth checking out for curiosity sake if nothing more.

20221113_162831.jpg

Crown & Crane Green Tea- fantastic soap base and scent! Crown & Crane have come up with some beautiful scents recently and this is one of them.

Soap lathers great and whips up a creamy lather with a wide water tolerance. Finished off with some Super Hit Fragrance Oil which I picked up at a local Hippy/ Crystal shop. Smells clean with incense notes.

Back