The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sardines

So, I was really curious what I would find, Sardine wise, in the island. I figured the Navy, would be alll about the sardines. Here is what I found at the Ship’s Store.
CAF3B539-BFA4-4C5C-88D7-105DFD525978.jpeg

Sure the Bumblbee and Crown Prce are common, but the canned/jarred sardines/Herring are not. I’m looking forward to trying those in the near future.

Also, never tried capers.... so thought I’d try them with my sardines..... soooogood. I’ve tried the bumble bee and the Crown Prince, but really looking for to the cans/jars , as those are very new to me. Never seen those before!

EE7FA54D-DAD1-44AC-954E-69B9E21A130C.jpeg

These are great, wow! Dried, then soaked in olive oil. It has kind of a fish jerky consistency. Just great! And maybe it’s the garlic, or the drying, but no fishy taste. Just a great snack. Very rich, not something you eat a whole jar or at once, like a can of sardines. Although you could, this is something more to savor. @dangerousdon I highly recommend you find something similar!

A friend of mine gave me a pack of Nuri Spiced sardines in oil. They were fantastic and the best sardines I've ever had. Think about King Oscar Mediterranean style, taken to the NEXT level. Here is a video talking about the traditional/artisanal way these are made.

Now, they are quite pricey online. But I read that I could find them at World Market. Being that we were going to The City anyway, we decided to take a look. They had all 5 varieties. SO I got one of each to try, and a few extra of the spiced, since they are so good, and I'm sure in the end will be my favorite.

Sardines1.jpg

They also had some other brands I'd never seen before so I picked up a few other tins/jars.

Sardines2.jpg

Sardines3.jpg

Sardines4.jpg

Then after that, we went to a very large Asian Food store, thinking that they might have a good selection of Sardines, which they did, but nothing that looked to different form what I'd already tried. But I did pick up these:

Sardines5.jpg

All in all, I spent over $120 on Sardines yesterday, lol. But these will last me a very long time.

A friend of mine gave me a pack of Nuri Spiced sardines in oil. They were fantastic and the best sardines I've ever had. Think about King Oscar Mediterranean style, taken to the NEXT level. Here is a video talking about the traditional/artisanal way these are made.

Now, they are quite pricey online. But I read that I could find them at World Market. Being that we were going to The City anyway, we decided to take a look. They had all 5 varieties. SO I got one of each to try, and a few extra of the spiced, since they are so good, and I'm sure in the end will be my favorite.

View attachment 36486

They also had some other brands I'd never seen before so I picked up a few other tins/jars.

View attachment 36487

View attachment 36488

View attachment 36489

Then after that, we went to a very large Asian Food store, thinking that they might have a good selection of Sardines, which they did, but nothing that looked to different form what I'd already tried. But I did pick up these:

View attachment 36490

All in all, I spent over $120 on Sardines yesterday, lol. But these will last me a very long time.
Is that fresh water eel or Saltwater?

You know as much about them as I do!
Ok, I will have to check out our asian market as well, SW eel is so salty compared with Fresh water so was just curious, be interested in your taste review

Back