The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Saponificio Varesino is Teasing us..... again

Take a look at the scent profile there is a LOT going on there! I used it today and the scent is exceptional. But I can't compare it to THB as I haven't used THB one before.

The scent is warm but there is a sweetness that comes from it and it think its the Dates. I don't think that scent note is really used much. But eat dates daily and it is definitely in there. On dry down I get the slight incense smell, and a hint of juniper.

I don't smell the black pepper that they mention on the website or the oregano.

Take a look at the scent profile there is a LOT going on there!
SV’s scent profiles have never really helped me. Their listing of notes doesn’t translate into what it smells like. And much of what they lost are not things you can actually smell... at least to my nose.

But your description helped. Thanks.

SV’s scent profiles have never really helped me. Their listing of notes doesn’t translate into what it smells like. And much of what they lost are not things you can actually smell... at least to my nose.

But your description helped. Thanks.
OK remember to Chad Everything Smells like Tumbleweeds, LOL as to the comparison to J&H it is less sweet, sharper but not straight vetiver ther eis a creaminess to it, if that makes sense and the date oil is in there only as a facial emolient. I maintain if you like J&H you will love Desert Vetiver. Rather that try to describe, lets try this.

Opening ( intial sniff ) - Sharp vetiver heavy a hint of grapefruite, Pine
Middle ( once on the skin ) -Still Vetiver forward, with a hint of rose and LAvander ( sharp but creamy
Dry down ( 1-2 hrs on skin ) light a touch of sweet but very low, Green woody, creamy, vetiver is always there

Hope that helps

Pretty sure I didn't mention tumbleweeds. Only one of SV soaps smells like tumbleweed and that is stella alpina. @BarberDave perhaps you need to click the link in my signature.

Pretty sure I didn't mention tumbleweeds. Only one of SV soaps smells like tumbleweed and that is stella alpina. @BarberDave perhaps you need to click the link in my signature.
I was on medication that day when I agreed you were right, You took advantage of me, LOL

Whoa Guys, I was just responding to KJ's Inquiry and if you read I said a detection of those not huge notes. SV is very complex and uses these notes as a jigsaw puzzle, no where did Indicate it was a "major note". As I have stated it is Vetiver forward, and I was trying to give the "Big Picture" Having followed you and knowing your scent tastes you would be very happy with this, Both of you use and like stuff with Rose and Lavendar. Don't be so quick to dismiss. IF you like Vetiver in any form You will like this, not to mention it is one of SV's scents that last and that is just the Aftershave. some hours later I can still detect

I said "hint"

I guess I’m not asking my question right. I’m not asking about the Vetiver note itself, per se. I’m just trying to get a feel for what it smells like on the whole. Is the SV a plain Vetiver scent like Guerlain Vetiver...... or is it a blended scent like Jekyll & Hyde? If it’s a complex scent, what else do you smell apart from Vetiver?
NO, it is not at all linear or obvious like Guerlain Vetiver. I think the best way to look at a Saponificio Varesino scent is to look at their scent profile as if they are a perfumer, because that's what they are. Unlike a crockpot soaper like me, they don't go and grab a couple EO's or Fragrance oils of the shelf and call it a day. If you read their website they are pretty transparent about the ingredients in their soaps, even listing percentages of many of the ingredients. I am fairly convinced they are just as transparent when it comes to their scents, I believe the pyramid they provide lists the oils they use to create the scent, NOT what they want you to smell. I understand that doesn't help you understand how it smells but at least it helps you understand how they build that pyramid (or at least how I think they build it)

As far as how it smells to me. I don't get a singular vetiver note, at least not like your typical "green" or "dark" or " smokey" like you get from the ones we typically get from the soap makers that label something "vetiver". What I get is MUCH more like the raw vetiver atar I got from India, that thick goey concentrated oil that is extracted and concentrate. I am assuming they used real vetiver oil or atar along with everything else. I think the "desert vetiver" label is a pretty good description, the combination of everything that's in the fragrance along with the vetiver makes is a "Dry" vetiver rather than "green" or "dark" or "smokey". If you are looking for or hoping for a linear vetiver that really pops this one isn't like that to me, it pops but it isn't linear. Its more like Grey Vetiver, vetiver with other stuff...and all together it smells really nice. IT DOES NOT SMELL LIKE GREY VETIVER OR ANY OTHER COLOGNE. The scent as it is described in the pyramid is kind of acurate, it opens with the brighter grapefruit/Bergamot type notes and is quickly blended with the peppery spicy notes. I think the top and middle notes really mix into a blend rather than any single note standing out, all I can say is the top/middle smells/feels VERY classic SV italian and that is pushed with the heavy bottom notes. Again, the bottom notes (as described on the pyramid) dont really come across as individual notes, i definately don't get clove or patchouli by themselves. I think the combined bottom notes are what make the vetiver "dry" to my nose.

Knowing you (KJ) you are probably looking at the scent pyramid and seeing insence in the top notes and Patchouli and Vetiver in the bottom and saying to yourself "that sounds cool". They aren't there the way you imagine. They are part of a symphony, not a rock band.

Rose and lavender? I'm out.
If you can smell the rose and/or lavender in this I pitty you. I am sure these notes play a supporting background role that adds depth to the scent while playing some "love your skin role: or something. Again. Symphony ..not a rock band.

NO, it is not at all linear or obvious like Guerlain Vetiver. I think the best way to look at a Saponificio Varesino scent is to look at their scent profile as if they are a perfumer, because that's what they are. Unlike a crockpot soaper like me, they don't go and grab a couple EO's or Fragrance oils of the shelf and call it a day. If you read their website they are pretty transparent about the ingredients in their soaps, even listing percentages of many of the ingredients. I am fairly convinced they are just as transparent when it comes to their scents, I believe the pyramid they provide lists the oils they use to create the scent, NOT what they want you to smell. I understand that doesn't help you understand how it smells but at least it helps you understand how they build that pyramid (or at least how I think they build it)

As far as how it smells to me. I don't get a singular vetiver note, at least not like your typical "green" or "dark" or " smokey" like you get from the ones we typically get from the soap makers that label something "vetiver". What I get is MUCH more like the raw vetiver atar I got from India, that thick goey concentrated oil that is extracted and concentrate. I am assuming they used real vetiver oil or atar along with everything else. I think the "desert vetiver" label is a pretty good description, the combination of everything that's in the fragrance along with the vetiver makes is a "Dry" vetiver rather than "green" or "dark" or "smokey". If you are looking for or hoping for a linear vetiver that really pops this one isn't like that to me, it pops but it isn't linear. Its more like Grey Vetiver, vetiver with other stuff...and all together it smells really nice. IT DOES NOT SMELL LIKE GREY VETIVER OR ANY OTHER COLOGNE. The scent as it is described in the pyramid is kind of acurate, it opens with the brighter grapefruit/Bergamot type notes and is quickly blended with the peppery spicy notes. I think the top and middle notes really mix into a blend rather than any single note standing out, all I can say is the top/middle smells/feels VERY classic SV italian and that is pushed with the heavy bottom notes. Again, the bottom notes (as described on the pyramid) dont really come across as individual notes, i definately don't get clove or patchouli by themselves. I think the combined bottom notes are what make the vetiver "dry" to my nose.

Knowing you (KJ) you are probably looking at the scent pyramid and seeing insence in the top notes and Patchouli and Vetiver in the bottom and saying to yourself "that sounds cool". They aren't there the way you imagine. They are part of a symphony, not a rock band.

If you can smell the rose and/or lavender in this I pitty you. I am sure these notes play a supporting background role that adds depth to the scent while playing some "love your skin role: or something. Again. Symphony ..not a rock band.
Damn fine description, I want it now! Tell me have any of you purchased the Edc?
Also, are you guys buying it from SV direct or stateside ?

Totally makes sense. Thanks Chris

Damn fine description, I want it now! Tell me have any of you purchased the Edc?
Direct at SV's Online Site, a bit more for shipping, but always in stock at at your home in 2-3 days

I got it direct from SV, I’ve a.ways done that. The experience is exceptional and the shipping isn’t (hasn’t been) an obstacle. There was a time when people were getting extorted by Fed Ex for unnecessary import taxes but I never had that issue and I understand SV refunded customers all extortion expenditures. My package arrived UPS so I, guessing FedEx is no more. I didn’t buy the EDC (I don’t usually) but they included a tester in the package. I did get the splash...exquisite as always. I will caution that this one and the cosmo do NOT have restrictors so your thumb is required to meter out the minimum dosage. A little hoes a long way so a bottle is likely to last as long as the soap.

I got it direct from SV, I’ve a.ways done that. The experience is exceptional and the shipping isn’t (hasn’t been) an obstacle. There was a time when people were getting extorted by Fed Ex for unnecessary import taxes but I never had that issue and I understand SV refunded customers all extortion expenditures. My package arrived UPS so I, guessing FedEx is no more. I didn’t buy the EDC (I don’t usually) but they included a tester in the package. I did get the splash...exquisite as always. I will caution that this one and the cosmo do NOT have restrictors so your thumb is required to meter out the minimum dosage. A little hoes a long way so a bottle is likely to last as long as the soap.
Fantastic Chris! Thank you! I'll place an order today.

Now that I think about it, I ordered the last two direct from SV, but its been a couple of years. I was one of those extorted by FedEx, and I think that's the reason I did not order from them, but started ordering primarily from US resellers.

I'm a Vetiver fan, so this is right up my alley!

I almost pulled the trigger, but balked at the $28 shipping. I'll pick some up when it's available stateside. For now, I'll have to stick with MdC Vetiver for my fix!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back