The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Saponificio Varesino is Teasing us..... again

Well noses act differently and what is Gold to some is not to others, that is the beauty of this hobby. The new product is out now...

They want ridiculous money for their soaps and there is no way on Earth their products come close to A&E's new Kaizen base that sells for less than half of the price. But, a fool and their money... :whistle:

They want ridiculous money for their soaps and there is no way on Earth their products come close to A&E's new Kaizen base that sells for less than half of the price. But, a fool and their money... :whistle:
Well Simply put I have tried A&E's new formulary and it is not in the same league as SV nor CBL, nor Ethos or PannaCrema, in my opinion and have been in this game a long time, but we can agree to disagree, I would certainly hope there is no insuation in your final statement, of me being that fool, and would warn that may not be the most advisable idea or statement to ANYONE on this forum, much less one of the Owners. We all have differing opinions, but we must respect those opinions without disrespecting the person. That goes for ANYONE on this forum. This forum will never allow that, nor allow anyone to be treated in a disrespectful manner. PERIOD

@BarberDave, do all of their scents of shave soap eventually get released as a refill puck? I'd like to try SV someday and this new scent looks interesting but I like to avoid paying extra for containers.

Hey Aaron:
Currently the only ones that are in a "pet container' that you can place in your own bowl are
Mirto De Sardegna
Stella Alpina
Tundra Artica
Manna Di Sicilia
Dolomiti
Felce Aromatica

but that will be going away eventually I think as they move to the 3d aluminum containers. The aftershave are now going into what used to be the old "For Barbers Only" line which is a huge plus.

If you are going to pick one to start with and do not want the container I would say 70th, but it is a very subtle italian scent. If you like something a bit more powerful, then hands down Dolomiti It is just wonderful IMHO

Well Simply put I have tried A&E's new formulary and it is not in the same league as SV nor CBL, nor Ethos or PannaCrema, in my opinion and have been in this game a long time, but we can agree to disagree, I would certainly hope there is no insuation in your final statement, of me being that fool, and would warn that may not be the most advisable idea or statement to ANYONE on this forum, much less one of the Owners. We all have differing opinions, but we must respect those opinions without disrespecting the person. That goes for ANYONE on this forum. This forum will never allow that, nor allow anyone to be treated in a disrespectful manner. PERIOD

I'd be willing to bet that Bogeyman's post was in jest.

I placed my order last night...THANKS DAVE!!! I decided to stick with just the Desert Vetiver shave soap and post shave while adding bath soap in the scents I had been able to hold off purchasing all this time but REALLY wanted. I had EVERYTHING in my cart ...twice, but in the end I opted for the batch soap option because I know I will love and use the Vetiver and would totally use the bath soaps while the extra shave soaps would not be used enough. This also gave me the chance to get the large blocks of "laundry soap" I had been wanting to get. I may end up getting the 48 count box of these eventually but for now the order contains just a few. SV is famous for their mastery of the traditional/classic Marseille method off soap making, This is a real treat for me.

Regarding the "comparison" of SV to CBL, A&E...or any other artisan type shave soap...there isn't. Saponificio Varesino is often referred to as an artisan because they are (still) a family run soap maker with a small footprint but to compare them to the crockpot artisans who cooks up "small batch" "premium shave soap", scented with various fragrances or essential oils and packed into low profile tubs?...NO! The SV family are masters at making soap, they use and understand methods that only a few "crockpot artisans" ever took the time to learn about let alone try (and figure out it wasn't possible to do on small scale...but probably still learned something from it so their soap is better for it). Soap is easy, the stuff that makes soap special isn't. SV creates the scents and soaps from scratch. Then, as if that wasn't enough, they extrude and triple mill the soap so the moisture content is about 8-9% (with about 3% added glycerine). Compare the SV glycerine and moisture content to an crockpot artisan soap...Triple milled soap is always a better value. Heck, if D.R. Harris performed better and had stronger scent maybe I would like it as much as SV.

As far as cost/value goes, I don't think their prices are high at all. The shipping is a bit high if you buy just 1 item so you really do need to buy a 2 or more things to make it sting less. I know one time I ordered something for me @Cvargo had me add something for him and i forwarded his item to him, I forget if/how we split the shipping but it saved somebody something. The shave soaps run $20-$40 with shipping $23-$30 for some pretty good sized orders. Trust me when I say, you place the order today and you will be posting SOTD photos and video reviews before the next ZOOM call. Allesandro doesn't mess around, you get top notch service from the guy. I wanted some stuff for Christmas so I had my dad place an order. My dad ordered a bunch of bath soaps with matching aftershaves so Allesandro CALLED him (an Italian guy called my old dad) to ask him if he wanted shaving soap or bath soap, the shipping was the same but he didn't want to ruin the Christmas present if I was supposed to get shaving soap. My dad was embarrassed but really happy he was able to fix the mistake. Allesandro fixed everything and my dad paid the right amount, then when my order arrived it had all the bath soaps except one because adding any more soap would have gone over the weight limit with a note to give the bath soap to my dad. Class act.

If you've never tried SV soap and want to dip your toes into the water I suggest picking up Dolimiti (one of the lowest cost ones he has) as it is a very interesting scent that should be pretty easy to enjoy for most people. The performance is superb, very luxurious and special. If you want a second soap the Felce Aromatica (in the beta 4.3 geeen tin is best but the box refil is great too) is quite popular, a bright scent and great performer. beyond those two I would suggest the 70th anniversary, the scent is absolutely a must have. If you arent sure about the potentially creative scents, get the 70th anniversary and call it a day, the profile is super classic and you wont be sorry you did it.

beyond those two I would suggest the 70th anniversary, the scent is absolutely a must have. If you arent sure about the potentially creative scents, get the 70th anniversary and call it a day, the profile is super classic and you wont be sorry you did it.
70th has definitely been a 1st class introduction for me to the world of SV.

I really enjoy the 70th and with it being triple milled a tin last a very long time.
I really want to try more of the SV line up but not sure what to go with. Do they have samples?View attachment 25403
I have a batch of their aftershave samples in many many varieties. If someone can confirm their the same scent, I could send these to you so you'd have an idea of what scents you'd prefer. There's at least 8 or 10 single shot samples.

@BarberDave , any thoughts on the scents - AS vs Soap?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I know i am not Dave but I am a lot cooler.

In my expereince the AS is pretty much a dead ringer for the soaps in the scent factory.
Sorry @Cvargo . Since he posted the thread, not to mention is listed on their website ad in a review, I immediately thought of him.

Cool, if their AS and soaps are equal, I can send @Graydog the samples, if he wants, so he can figure out what to buy himself. Thanks Chad!

I have a batch of their aftershave samples in many many varieties. If someone can confirm their the same scent, I could send these to you so you'd have an idea of what scents you'd prefer. There's at least 8 or 10 single shot samples.

@BarberDave , any thoughts on the scents - AS vs Soap?

They are very close on both but a good number of the fragrances share many of the same notes so many to some noses are the same. To get variety I would say
Cubebe
Dolomiti
Felce aromatica
70th. As a good starting point and the new desert vetiver is the strongest

Back