The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Mixed it up a bit today and tried the new SR from WhippedDog. First shave with this razor and I am stoked. Had a late morning shave and it was great!

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
SR #1 Three Ranners

Gillette Slim

Astra SP (4)
Vulfix badger
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

So I cleaned the oil off the blade and was ready to rock and roll.

Kept the same brush, soap and AS. GTB seemed like a good choice for the test drive. I grabbed the GTB, ran a wet brush and loaded it for 20 seconds. The lather built easily and seemed slick enough.

I was aiming for my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG. The blade felt as sharp as the shavette I had used before. But I thought my lather wasn’t wet enough and I added more water to relather. Got through the first pass, but it still felt off. Moved onto the second pass and had the same issue. Grabbed a shave mug and whipped up more lather, adding water. The second pass had the same feel and it wasn’t right. Relathered and tried the third pass. I couldn’t get my angle right and the blade felt like it was trying to bite. Brought in the Slim to wrap everything up. Today I walked away with a DFS and I’ll call that a win!

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of GTB AS and everything was right as rain! The shave settled down quickly for a great post shave feel. The SR can cover more ground than the shavette and I walked away without blood letting, I’ll get this. Life is good!

Good for you for going back to the soap for more. Most people...myself included...will likely power through it and get a not so good shave!

Thanks guys, looking back I’m not sure if my prob was shave angle or lather. When I wrapped up with the Slim, it was plenty slick. But it didn’t feel too slick with the SR. I’ll get it sorted.

Great first shave with the SR Tim! So, one question is what type of grind does the SR have? Is it a hollow or wedge/near wedge type of grind? The reason I ask, is the wedge/near wedge grinds sometimes take a little bit more care on angle, as they can get "sticky" if the spine gets too close to the skin, causing the razor to suction to the face. It is scary the first time it happens, and feels like the razor might be trying to bite.

The other thing is that your angle might have been too large. Like a DE, the optimal angle for most straight's is between 20 and 30 degrees from the skin (about 1 - 1.5 spine widths off). It's going to be much different in practice than the shavette, though you wouldn't think so. You'll get there!!

I think you're pretty accurate there with the 1/4 hollow call. It's pretty close to a full hollow, however...nice looking blade all the same! Play around with the different angles, (real shallow, real steep)...when you hit the sweet spot of correct angle/pressure with that razor, it'll be an "Aha!" moment. From there it's figuring out how to maintain that angle/pressure through the whole shave!

I missed that you had your first straight shave. Way to go and no blood!

Good for you for going back to the soap for more. Most people...myself included...will likely power through it and get a not so good shave!

I came to the realization a while ago, that I have more soap than I could possibly use in my lifetime, and I'm still buying more. So I'm no longer any kind of stingy with my soap. I load more than I need, and never fear going back for seconds. I need to use it up somehow!

2018 Shave Count (DE: 212 SV: 8 SR: 2)

Last night I tried the SR again with no DE for a backup.

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
Vulfix badger
Mudder Focker soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash

I’m gonna get this SR down, so I’m trying it solo. Stropped up and ready to go. Last night I also changed my soap. I grabbed the brush and loaded it for 20 seconds. The lather built easily and was slick. I also discovered that I use the Michal Freedburg face lathering technique.

Once again I aimed for my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG. I am still trying to find the correct shave angle. Got through the first pass, and it wasn’t as bad as the previous shave. Onto the second pass and I am still wrestling with technique. Went back to the soap for the third pass. Awkwardly knocked out that pass and walked away with a CCS. I would rather have DFS or better, but I didn’t shed any blood. Maybe we’ll call this a draw.

Wrapped up the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. No AS, but everything was still right as rain! The shave settled down quickly for a meh post shave feel. I say that because of the remaining stubble. I will get this. Life is good!

I think you're pretty accurate there with the 1/4 hollow call. It's pretty close to a full hollow, however...nice looking blade all the same! Play around with the different angles, (real shallow, real steep)...when you hit the sweet spot of correct angle/pressure with that razor, it'll be an "Aha!" moment. From there it's figuring out how to maintain that angle/pressure through the whole shave!

Thanks for all the info Josh. I’ll keep at it until I get it.

Back