The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Post your Shave Dens!

I understand the harshness of an SE blade, some razors are better than others with it. It does take some experimentation with different styles to figure it out…. Luckily they are all pretty cheap.

But I suggest you try out a schick injector. It’s a whole new ballgame in the SE experience!
Alrighty, I'll start reading up on them and looking around for one! Thanks for the recommendation!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Honestly, this is what I think is lacking in the modern crop of wet shavers. No offense, at all. As I don’t know your experience with razors is….

But in my upbringing, you tried out every variation of vintage, DE, SE, and injector, and then started to dabble in modern. In my experience, there are only a few modern razors that hold a candle to vintage razors.
But today’s WetShavers lean towards only modern razors, and won’t give a second thought to vintage. Which is a shame.

Honestly, this is what I think is lacking in the modern crop of wet shavers. No offense, at all. As I don’t know your experience with razors is….

But in my upbringing, you tried out every variation of vintage, DE, SE, and injector, and then started to dabble in modern. In my experience, there are only a few modern razors that hold a candle to vintage razors.
But today’s WetShavers lean towards only modern razors, and won’t give a second thought to vintage. Which is a shame.

My experience with razors is basically - I've been shaving with DE razors for 10 years. I'm 55 years old, but it's always nice to be thought of as younger. I mostly used a DE89, but about 5 years ago I started trying out vintage razors. I wasn't interested in collecting series of a type, like a Tech collector. What I did was basically take what I'd been reading people saying about vintages, and set myself a list of razors of high acclaim to try out for myself. They included the Old Type, The NEW, long and short comb(I had to see the blade clamping for myself. It's a great razor.), a Canadian early 50s Tech. The black, blue, and red tips, the Fatboy, the Slim, a birth quarter superspeed. So I've owned and shaved pretty substantially with each of those razors. I still own the NEW SC, the Fatboy, the Tech, the red tip, and the superspeed.

I still use the Fatboy and the NEW, but I've pretty much moved to using the new stuff.

What I've decided is that I'm getting as good a shave as I could ever want with pretty much any of these razors, because I know how to shave, so the motivation to keep trying new razors has waned in the past year.

It's natural to find deficits in the younger and newer participants in the hobby. It is my position that there is no proper or better way to do this hobby. It is an entirely individual and subjective exercise, and each person's journey is equally valid. I spend time watching a lot of younger shavers, who use other means than forums to socialize about the hobby, and there is a lot they focus on that I would not, but they sure are having a great time.

It's natural to find deficits in the younger and newer participants in the hobby. It is my position that there is no proper or better way to do this hobby. It is an entirely individual and subjective exercise, and each person's journey is equally valid. I spend time watching a lot of younger shavers, who use other means than forums to socialize about the hobby, and there is a lot they focus on that I would not, but they sure are having a great time.

You're right, SUPER subjective. Look at takes on different DE blades and styles of Straight Razors. No two people like the same things in this hobby. Well, with the exception of Arko, everyone loves Arko! :ROFLMAO:

but they sure are having a great time.
I think this is the main part.

I know for me, a lot of things work differently than for many others. A lot of people rave on the fat boy, mine is in it's case waiting for the grandson to be old enough to have it. Some people get a ridiculous amount of shaves on one blade, I can't get past 7 at the most. A lot of people love prorasso, for me it is the absolute worst soap I have ever tried....

So with everything being so personal as far as gear, it is great to be able to explore, try, drool over, pif, hoard, and/or collect such a great variety of things and have a (mostly) great deal of enjoyment in the process.
Having a great place like this to talk and share experiences and even sometimes gear makes it even better.

Having a great place like this to talk and share experiences and even sometimes gear makes it even better.

Amen to this! Every mode of wetshaving communities I've visited has plusses and minuses, but nowhere have I ever found a shaving community with such a sense of fellowship and mutual respect. When I first found the Cadre, I felt as if I had been welcomed into a circle of old, dear friends. There's no pettiness or trolling. The sense of decorum each member here exhibits is free of the sophomoric and risque.

The Cadre is one of the most positive aspects of the whole hobby for me. I missed it when I was out of pocket last year, but it felt like I had never left when I was able to return.

Now back to the actual topic of this thread!

@fhalden I am very impressed by the shear volume of soaps and brushes you have. Your razor count is a little light but it is substantial none the less. I like the way you used shoe storage devices to store soaps, very smart. I built in little shelves under the sink, up in the top corners of each cabinet so when my wife opens the cabinets she sees nothing but if she looks into the dead zones at the top corners she will see plenty. I also built in simple shelves with a front rail right behind my hangers in the closet where i store my assorted aftershaves...almost out of sight when my pants are hung in front of the shelves.

Have you met @NurseDave ?? LOL
Well, yeah, but somehow it's always in bounds. Relative to some of the crudity of whippersnapper shavers on some social media, Nurse Dave is tamer than a border collie!

And I'm probably biased here, but Nurse Dave is always very clever. Somehow that expands the bounds of taste for me. And he's really funny.

Well, yeah, but somehow it's always in bounds. Relative to some of the crudity of whippersnapper shavers on some social media, Nurse Dave is tamer than a border collie!

And I'm probably biased here, but Nurse Dave is always very clever. Somehow that expands the bounds of taste for me. And he's really funny.

You sir, are wise and should be exalted

@fhalden I am very impressed by the shear volume of soaps and brushes you have. Your razor count is a little light but it is substantial none the less. I like the way you used shoe storage devices to store soaps, very smart. I built in little shelves under the sink, up in the top corners of each cabinet so when my wife opens the cabinets she sees nothing but if she looks into the dead zones at the top corners she will see plenty. I also built in simple shelves with a front rail right behind my hangers in the closet where i store my assorted aftershaves...almost out of sight when my pants are hung in front of the shelves.
Thank you very much for your kind words! Yes, the collection betrays my biases. I'm more into a variety of soaps than razors, because I sort of decided that I was getting the shave I wanted, with pretty much any razor I tried, so I bought some that I thought had beauty. My vintage razors are in a box. There's probably 10 of them. I just got a lot more fun trying out soaps than new razors. I remember back when I was new to wetshaving, I would see pictures of dens with hundreds of razors. All sorts of great collections. I was amazed, and a bit intimidated. But it was soaps that really enchanted me. Now, I've got a soap collection I'm shrinking down to stuff I absolutely love. I'm aiming for around 150. Thank you again for your compliments and observations. It means a lot.

Nursedave???
Our nursedave?.....

How much is he paying for that?🤣
🤣🤣

It's nice to be counted amongst the sensible ones, isn't it, @Graybeard57 ? ;)
Absolutely. The important thing to me is that I enjoy shaving, which I very much do. I'd like more variety in my soaps and AS, but I like my wife to be able to breathe. My goal in shaving is to get a superlative shave, which I am able to do with the razors I own. For me, the gear is utilitarian, in service to the shave.

Clearly, we are in the minority here, @woodpusher . I respect, though don't fully understand, those who collect high volumes of any type of gear, hardware or software. Well, I get why people collect razors for their history and and cool factor. Some are works of art, and it's amazing how much better many vintage razors are to mainstream ones (talking carts here).

As I frequently say, enjoy your shaves!

Back