The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

On the razors edge with Galaktus

Been a few days since I posted here, been shaving every day but not going to waste space listing my past shaves.
Been off Facebook for about 10 days, decided to give it up becauae it's a huge time waster, and it is just filled with negativity.
Tuesday started out on a week long, 1100 mile (one way) motorcycle trip. Was riding with three others. The new guy got his ass kicked really bad by the heat. 95 degrees, 105 heat index. Wednesday morning we saw he was in bad shape but not wanting to admit it. So we decided we had to abandon our trip and head home. We had made it 350 miles the first day. We got 50 miles back towards home, and the new guy is done. He cant safely ride anymore. We get a room so he can stay inside out of the heat, and he calls his wife to drive up a trailer and bring him and the bike home. When he got home, he checked himself into the hospital and spent a few days there. He's doing much better now.
Since I am still off from work, Mrs. Galaktus and I decide to indulge our fantasy of looking for a vacation house. We found a great little house, 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, about an hour north of us. It's been on the market for 5 months, but it seems theres nothing wrong with it other than being "only" 2 bedroom. Perfect for what we are looking for. We may put an offer in on it.
Finally caught up on everyones journals, too.

Bummer the ride didn’t pan out. Glad the guy is OK though!

Vacation house is one of our future goals too. Only an hour away though? What does that extra hour out get ya for scenery?

Just a getaway. Something far away enough to have a nice change of scenery , yet close enough to be convienient. We usually go on two cruises a year, and we figure the money spent on that could just about cover the mortgage. We always have the option of renting it out or Air BnB. It's not waterfront, that would cost about double. But it does have a public boat ramp less than half a mile from us. Its a huge lake with plenty of canals, waterfront access restaurants , etc.

Just a getaway. Something far away enough to have a nice change of scenery , yet close enough to be convienient. We usually go on two cruises a year, and we figure the money spent on that could just about cover the mortgage. We always have the option of renting it out or Air BnB. It's not waterfront, that would cost about double. But it does have a public boat ramp less than half a mile from us. Its a huge lake with plenty of canals, waterfront access restaurants , etc.
Sounds really nice. Going to the lake every summer is on of the things I16miss the most from growing up in Oklahoma.

So after a brainstorming session with the wife, we've decided to go all out on a retirement home. We willl be looking for lakefront property. Our thought is that it will be our full time home when I retire, in exactly two and a half years. Today is the halfway point in my DROP (deferred retirement option).
Finally caught up on journal entries. Today is 3 weeks off Facebook, still not missing it, but I fugure that I was spending too much time on a time wasting exercise. I guess I've been avoiding the internet altogether, which isn't a bad thing.

Jul 31, 2020 Shave 218
Game Changer OC
Rapira Platinum Lux 2
Palmolive Lather 60
Bruce synthetic
Lustray Blue Spice

Trying to 3017 this tube of Palmolive. 60 shaves down, I estimate about 20 left in the tube.
Rapira blades are pretty darned good blades.

We found a house, looked at it a few times, sent an offer , the seller counteted, and we accepted. Exciting yet scary at the same time.

Aug 02, 2020 Shave 217
Lupo
Bic Chrome Platinum 1
Palmolive Lather 62
Yaqi Moka
Whisky Woods
Love the Lupo razor. I have it in stainless steel and aluminium. I am toying with the idea of polishing off the DLC coating from the SS Lupo. I never cared for the brownish color of DLC.

Dang, that’s awesome! Just to have an actual date when the “official” work stops.

Dang, that’s awesome! Just to have an actual date when the “official” work stops.
Jan 31, 2023 will be my last working day. A few years back, a guy in my motorcycle club told me "I retired 8 years ago and havent worked a day since". Thats been my goal, lol. When I am done, I will have 33 years at my office.

The Lupo Polishing Project is in full swing. Started slow with Turtle Wax polishing paste, on the bottom of the handle. Hand rubbing, just to see if its feasable. Seems like it is. I dont like the handle on he Lupo anyway, so I didnt mind sacrificing it, for science. When I am done with the top cap and baseplate, I will be using a different handle anyway.20200805_181714.jpg
Then I started on the top cap. The DLC coating came off, but the finish underneath is rough. Brought it to a wire wheel on a grinder, and then to a buffing wheel with polishing compound. The edges are polishing up first. The are polishing up nicely, but it is slow work. Gotta keep dunking the cap in water to keep the temperature down. Next time I go give some time to the LPP, I will post more pics of the progress.

Aug 07, 2020 Shave 222
Weber
Rapira Platinum Lux 2
Palmolive Lather 67
Olivewood synth brush
Brandy Spice

20200812_014506.jpgSo I put a lot more time in on the Lupo polishing. It's not perfect, but it's perfect for me. Top cap is mostly free of any machining marks. I had to experiment with finding a coarser polishing compound. I had a bunch in my workshop, and the finer ones seems to not get a lot of progress done. I found one that left a satin finish, which I rather enjoy. I paired the Lupo with a titanium handle.

Aug 12 2020 Shave 227
Lupo
Rapira Swedish 1
Palmolive Lather 72
Bruce synthetic brush
Lustray Blue Spice
An excellent shave, the Palmolive is almost done, maybe three shaves left in the tube.
20200812_014414.jpg

Back