The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Horizons in Shaving

IMG_7195.jpg

Hello Cadre friends!

I'm happy to report that straight shaving is progressing nicely here :)

Today I decided to try the Easy Aces, bought from Chris Lindsey. IN the past I haven't been able to use this razor. The thin full hollow blade just felt like it snagged on my beard. The length and feel of the razor also felt off in my hand.

But I knew I was getting better so thought it would be worth giving this blade another try.
Holy Moses was it a totally different experience. Everything that was wrong before was right now, and this was the best straight shave I've had to date.

I really think that this is just a game of perseverance and not pushing too hard or expecting too much at first.

The pro for me is my skin likes this style of shaving much better, and it's a true education in how learning any skill works.

Now on to the soap, I just love this soap. Sorry @CBLindsay but IMO this is just the best soap ever made. I love shave gear that is transparent, and this soap is the definition of that. It just works and works really well without screaming I'm special. It's so confident it's doesn't need to do that.

And today that's how that Easy Aces felt, I don't know what Chris does to sharpen blades, but they really feel fabulous, and I so much appreciate the two razors I have from him.

The Paladin also fits this bill for me, the knot is transparent the grip and feel of the handle, it just works. When I got the first Paladin, that was how it felt to me, it just felt like how a brush should feel nothing more nothing less. From that moment I was hooked, I love transparent gear.

I don't have a Paladin brush but I know the quality and type of knot, you are a wise man to have gone straight to the quality brush. When I started out I tried to save money in all the wrong places, a $10 badger brush is might do the job but if you want the best experience you really need a Paladin or one of similar quality. There is a big difference when you step up to the the luxury knot.

I don't have a Paladin brush but I know the quality and type of knot, you are a wise man to have gone straight to the quality brush. When I started out I tried to save money in all the wrong places, a $10 badger brush is might do the job but if you want the best experience you really need a Paladin or one of similar quality. There is a big difference when you step up to the the luxury knot.

With all the great synthetics out there, it just made no sense to buy a cheap badger. A cheap modern synth is still a great brush a cheap badger, not so much.

Also, even finding cheap stuff is an effort in Finland, so it didn't make sense not to buy a good brush if I was going to do it at all.

I think you can go 'cheap' with a lot of shaving stuff, blades, even razors, but soap and badger, no thank you.

It’s really hard to go wrong with the line-up you selected. All are apex whisker predators of their respective realms.

I feel that after this great week of shaving, I can officially enter the ranks of straight razor shavers.
Albeit at the rank of private. But I'm now shaving my whole face with the straight, in all directions. Still need to do the final pass with a DE though.

I'd also like to say my diet is ending today and I've lost 8kg and now fit in my old pants again. I'll maintain at this weight for 6 weeks and then go on another push until the end of the year. I'm looking to get down to 10-12% body fat.

IMG_7201.jpeg

Today's shave was first use of Grooming Dept Frakenlime. Off the puck the scent was honestly kind of meh. But about midway into my shave, the lime hit my nose, and I was an instant fan. The soap itself is really like no other I've used. It reminds me of wall spackle I a good way. It has an almost plastic feel but astonishing shave properties. Skin care was so so though. My skin did feel a bit dry and irritated, which with Aloe as the number one ingredient kind of surprised me. Still the soap was otherwise such a joy that I'll give it a for more tries before rendering a final verdict.

Otherwise, it's just been busy with work and training here, the usual for me. Hope all is good for the cadre. I think I'm going to sit the mega bingo out this time, no offense @GearNoir just don't have the time to invest right now. Hope it's a great game though.

No worries Cole...we’ll silently judge you! :p

Welcome to the open blade ranks officially! No shame in a non-open blade final pass, I do it all the time!

We’re on holiday on Naxos Island, Greece this week. I went very minimal on shaving, just a small sample size of Unkle Jon’s Cucumber Melon soap, a aluminum Tech and US Aqua Velva in a plastic bottle.
(I have to say the Williams AV is better now that I’ve used them both extensively.)
The tech was an overpriced impulse buy from Razor Emporium. I wondered why the shaves were rougher than from my Canadian Tech and it turned out the darn thing was bent! It bent it back, close enough anyway, and it’s a great shaver now. :)

Enough of the shave stuff on to the pics, so @Dave in KY will believe it happened!

We took a 5 hour hike today from the mountains down to the beach and our hotel. I’ve always fantasied more about hiking than actually been able to do it, so this was really a great, if tough, experience. Over this year I’ve determined to get good equipment and do more hiking on our holidays. I got some great shoes and boots, trekking poles and good day pack etc..... And it really made a huge difference. My wife was kind of on me about this stuff, why do you need shoes etc... but today the proof was in the pudding. I forced her to buy poles too, and though her feet hurt from her not good shoes, she loved the poles as much as I did, they really make it much easier on the knees. I don’t care what they say, my knees suck, my ankles suck and I feel great after the hike.

E45DCFEC-F7DD-4087-8BFD-9ABEE394FFCD.jpeg

4BE36665-1179-4A5F-B5B2-DEE969820E92.jpeg

72D8FE78-F5CF-4CCA-B651-5C6FB0B34212.jpeg

F6A0D7DC-9F4C-41F8-8138-F1A19025EA26.jpeg

8627DC87-BBCD-4CA4-84A2-1D4538FFB5A2.jpeg

We’re on holiday on Naxos Island, Greece this week. I went very minimal on shaving, just a small sample size of Unkle Jon’s Cucumber Melon soap, a aluminum Tech and US Aqua Velva in a plastic bottle.
(I have to say the Williams AV is better now that I’ve used them both extensively.)
The tech was an overpriced impulse buy from Razor Emporium. I wondered why the shaves were rougher than from my Canadian Tech and it turned out the darn thing was bent! It bent it back, close enough anyway, and it’s a great shaver now. :)

Enough of the shave stuff on to the pics, so @Dave in KY will believe it happened!

We took a 5 hour hike today from the mountains down to the beach and our hotel. I’ve always fantasied more about hiking than actually been able to do it, so this was really a great, if tough, experience. Over this year I’ve determined to get good equipment and do more hiking on our holidays. I got some great shoes and boots, trekking poles and good day pack etc..... And it really made a huge difference. My wife was kind of on me about this stuff, why do you need shoes etc... but today the proof was in the pudding. I forced her to buy poles too, and though her feet hurt from her not good shoes, she loved the poles as much as I did, they really make it much easier on the knees. I don’t care what they say, my knees suck, my ankles suck and I feel great after the hike.

8E8D7188-1C25-40AF-B131-BD45E5285B7E.jpeg

9047E87E-0316-4FF4-AEE9-DA52449FA112.jpeg

1538AEDB-783D-4AD1-AFE8-66051701F752.jpeg

44479F73-8CC5-4B9D-B116-66AC7EDA43EC.jpeg

0BB26265-1144-4C79-A495-024A2347C614.jpeg
What a gorgeous trip! Have a great time!

Can’t believe that a supposedly “high end” shop like RI would you a messed up Tech! They certainly charge up the wazoo for anything they touch!

What a gorgeous trip! Have a great time!

Can’t believe that a supposedly “high end” shop like RI would you a messed up Tech! They certainly charge up the wazoo for anything they touch!
Sad to say, this seems to be a common issue. I’ve bought two vintage razors from them both with the same problem. To their credit they did make good on the first one, a Gillette New. This wasn’t a refurb, I bought it because I wanted a case for some reason, which also turned out to have a broken tab.

I want to like them, so decided to give them a 2nd chance. But considering what I paid for both razors, I’m not sure I’d do it again, especially living so far away.

That said, I think we all know there is always some risk buying vintage, I’ve bought one total dud on Etsy too.

Back