The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New handle for the SS

Smattayu said:
pp

+1. I prefer CA, not only for how it looks when buffed out, but also for it’s durability. It’s true that it can be a hassle to work with, but it’s not too tough when doing scales as long as you take some precautions. I’m not a master at it, but I’d be happy to share what experience I do have if you decide to go that route. Lacquer is a feasable option as well, and you get a very nice finish from it.

i will most likely lean on your experience for that sir. I’m not sure about the oil you were using to treat the handles I got either but I assume I would need to pick some of that up as well?

DocHoliday0831 said:
i will most likely lean on your experience for that sir. I’m not sure about the oil you were using to treat the handles I got either but I assume I would need to pick some of that up as well?

You are welcome to any knowledge I have on the subject. The tung oil isn’t a necessary step in the finish, and will not affect bonding or the final sheen. I prefer to use it because it adds depth and character to every wood I’ve applied it to, though it does add a day or two to the process.

All of those look great! I’m usually partial to Padauk, but the red palm looks pretty sweet.

After considerable thought today I believe I am leaned towards the Red Palm. The grain pattern in it just seems like it will do this razor justice.

If I am feeling better at some point later tomorrow or Sunday I am going to try to cut them out and begin sanding on them but. It sure how long I can stand sitting straight up. I know I can’t stand long enough to make it happen so we will see!

Nice! Any one of those woods will look amazing once they get some finish on them. I haven't used Palm at all yet, though I've heard it can be tough to work with at times. How was it to cut?

Smattayu said:
Nice! Any one of those woods will look amazing once they get some finish on them. I haven't used Palm at all yet, though I've heard it can be tough to work with at times. How was it to cut?

not as difficult as I thought it would be. I actually cut it using my hand coping saw. Had it roughed out in less than 5 minutes without power tools

Most of the shaping is done and finish sanding down to 220. I’m not honking I need to go a couple more steps like 400 and 600 before Tung oil and CA. But the grain on this Palm is awesome looking and it is surprisingly easy to work so far. Could be that the oil and CA don’t take very well but we will see.

GearNoir said:
Great PIF! I’m in!
1f602.png

lol you can have the ugly black plastic ones!

Quick question because I’m a bit inexperienced with this deal. When pinning the back of these scales together after putting in a spacer do I use just a piece of pin stock or do I have to have some sort of washer with it?

Quick question because I’m a bit inexperienced with this deal. When pinning the back of these scales together after putting in a spacer do I use just a piece of pin stock or do I have to have some sort of washer with it?

Are you talking about the end at the toe of the razor, or at the hinge?

Back