The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New handle for the SS

DocHoliday0831

Won't Share His Sugar Daddy
Legacy
If you followed my journal on the other place you know I’ve toyed around with the idea of building A better handle for my Feather SS. This is the thread wher I actually document said attempt.

And the Red/Black Burlap Micarta is the chosen material.

This is is going to probably take a while as I intend to be slow and meticulous plus almost all of the work I am going to attempt to do using only hand tools.

Follow along if you dare I have another piece of this stuff and 2 pieces each of some black/red G10 and some green/coyote brown G10 if I mess up really bad.

Very interested in this process!

I have an SS if my own...the factory scales are functional, but entirely unappealing.

That micarta may be the hardest material on the planet to cut. But here is where I am so far! I’m considering switching to wood or the G10 if this doesn’t work though.

Thanks to a friend I remembered to post this.

So far so good.
I would suggest using double side tape or I've seen wood glue and wax paper used to join the 2 sides together. That way when you are shaping them, what ever you do to one matches on the other.
I use a double sided tape. Then you separate them with a single edge razor blade or something similiar.
The sides that are glued together are the insides of the scales, so they don't have to be perfect.

clyde72 said:
So far so good.
I would suggest using double side tape or I've seen wood glue and wax paper used to join the 2 sides together. That way when you are shaping them, what ever you do to one matches on the other.
I use a double sided tape. Then you separate them with a single edge razor blade or something similiar.
The sides that are glued together are the insides of the scales, so they don't have to be perfect.

i really like the two sided tape idea!! Thanks I was wondering about that. The first problem I ran into was the blanks I got were about 2x thicker than I needed (1/4”) and I’m having to sand the extra thickness down

Yes the material I've used for all 3 sets of scales that I've undertook so far (2 complete and 1 in progress) have been much thicker that the finished scales. Just takes a good bit of sanding. I tape mine together either at the start or just after the cut out. I then marked and drilled the holes so they would be lined up. Then it was rough sand to shape and then start taking the thickness down.

I got it sanded down to thickness today but I’m not sure I like them after getting it this far. May have to search the net for some hardwood blanks that I like. And use the micarta ones I have cut as pattern pieces.

After sanding them down to thickness appropriate for scales I lost all of the red from the micarta so that idea is now my pattern. Ordered a 5 pack of pairs of different exotic hardwoods so we will Be maybe seeing a vote in a few days to help me choose. I think I will like the wood better anyway and then I’m gonna need some help figuring out the process for coating and treating them for “water resistance”

Well CA (Cyanoacrylate glue aka super glue) is the best finish I would say.

clyde72 said:
Well CA (Cyanoacrylate glue aka super glue) is the best finish I would say.

+1. I prefer CA, not only for how it looks when buffed out, but also for it’s durability. It’s true that it can be a hassle to work with, but it’s not too tough when doing scales as long as you take some precautions. I’m not a master at it, but I’d be happy to share what experience I do have if you decide to go that route. Lacquer is a feasable option as well, and you get a very nice finish from it.

Back