The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Never tried a straight razor

I have three shave ready vintage razors ready to shave with...and I keep making excuses not to try them out...sigh...I really need to use them!

I can't really offer much advice in this department, but I just wanted to say Welcome to the Cadre! I think you will like it here!
Come on @dangerousdon if I can do it, you can, get to it man!

Straights are really, really fun. They are also quite a rabbit hole. The advice here is really good. My advice is (some of this will be repeats of earlier statements):
  • Going vintage is a good idea for your first razor.
  • Consider buying two shave ready razors to start. (One to learn on and one to have as a backup in case of accidents)
  • Buy from a reputable retailer at first. I don't recommend starting with eBay.
  • Some ugly steel can shave just as good as, or perhaps even better than, some of the prettiest steel.
  • Get a good, but inexpensive, leather strop from a known and reputable retailer for your first strop
  • You will cut up your first strop while learning to strop.
  • You will probably roll your edge at least once while learning to strop.
  • Consider getting a pasted balsa strop for longer term edge maintenance.
  • In a pinch you can use a newspaper that is folded over your towel rack to strop or a leather belt, but these are better left until you have learned how to maintain your straights.
  • After your first shave or two you may need to send it to someone for re-honing. It is really easy to screw up an edge when you are just getting started.
  • If you mess up your edge it is not the end of the world. Find someone you trust, or the person you purchased the razor from, to re-hone it for you.
  • Watch lots of straight razor shaving videos!
  • Straight razors require more maintenance than any other shaving device. But if you treat your blades well, they will treat you well in return.
  • Go slow.
  • Make sure you have lots of time to spare the first time you shave with a straight. You do not want to rush things.
  • Don't even think about honing or stones or maintaining your own edges (beyond a pasted strop) before you have a good feel for straight shaving.
  • Keep a DE or SE handy for clean up or for finishing the shave if you nick yourself too badly with the straight.
  • Keep an alum block, styptic pencil, or styptic gel handy for nicks.
  • If you feel the razor dragging on your face or skipping across your skin stop and make a wetter lather.
  • Go for slickness and glide in your lather, not cushion, in your lather when shaving with a straight.
  • Be mindful of all your fingers, toes, ears, and nose when shaving with a straight.
  • Remember that it is just shaving. Any razor can cut you badly and deeply, it is just easier with an open blade. Relax.
  • Nicks heal. If you cut yourself, give your face time to heal and then give it another go. Learning is sometimes painful and bloody.
  • You can learn to shave with a straight razor. You can be good at it. It will take you time and practice.
  • Enjoy the addiction.

@Jaro1069 welcome and I am so happy that the Cadre has dug deep to give you some solid recommendations and advice...I got “cheek sushi”...not bitter...just saying... @woodpusher CHEEK 🍣!!!!

If/when mishaps occur, we all like to see pictures! Some will say “pics or it didn’t happen”

thanks, i look forward to getting to try it.......
I also have a 5/8 roind point you can have when you are done with the Weck.
Should be a great starter. The only thing is that it needs to be honed. I could get it honed (I dont do honing) but you would have to cover the cost.

Back