The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Near misses, lost auction thread... Son of a @$&?!

Was starting to think a razor MIGHT be a miss because the seller was taking so long to ship. Looks like it is going to arrive a couple days short of the 2 MONTH mark.

$%@^#&$,#% :mad::mad:

Work interupted my ebay time so I missed my snipe on this awesome C.V. Heljestrand, ivory scale razor...for $29

s-l400.jpg

Someone got a DEAL! I snoozed on my last min bid. Oh well hopefully he’s one of you guys!
View attachment 93118
I so wish that I had already gotten to know some of you better a couple of years earlier when I first met one of the antique store owners that tries to find stuff for me because he had some of those old bowls / soaps and he offered them to me but I didn't know about a lot of this stuff then and I could have gotten several for what that one would have cost.. I mean I kick myself for turning down that seaforth set deal for 18 bucks ( I think it sold for ) it was Completely Unused !! Sealed soap and talc and aftershave /cologne or whatever those sets had ... There were like 4 or 5 completely full basically New products because they were never opened in the set with All the original box stuff !!

@Jaro1069 I too often think back to all the straight razors, soaps, and aftershaves I passed on 8-10 years ago when I was hunting safety razors exclusively. I’d see straight razors by the dozen(and cheap) in out of the way antique shops and barely gave them a look. I remember finding several Aqua Velva, Tawn, Burma Shave, old spice, and other sets(unused) that I passed on. I guess it’s too late to go back now, but it’s not like I need more stuff anyways. Oh well, someone else picked them up and hopefully cared for them well enough that they’ll last till the next guys find them in 50 years. Well, that’s the hope…. I know I’ll save some already vintage soaps for another 50 years and some day a collector will find my estate and will discover some 100+ year old shaving soaps. Good for that guy! He’ll be saying just like I do, “just imagin the luck this stuff must have to survive all these years an come to me in this condition, it seems almost impossible.”

It’s all chance, you never know when you’ll find something again, so either be ready to pounce or be happy for the other guy that does(even if it hurts lol).

@Jaro1069 I too often think back to all the straight razors, soaps, and aftershaves I passed on 8-10 years ago when I was hunting safety razors exclusively. I’d see straight razors by the dozen(and cheap) in out of the way antique shops and barely gave them a look. I remember finding several Aqua Velva, Tawn, Burma Shave, old spice, and other sets(unused) that I passed on. I guess it’s too late to go back now, but it’s not like I need more stuff anyways. Oh well, someone else picked them up and hopefully cared for them well enough that they’ll last till the next guys find them in 50 years. Well, that’s the hope…. I know I’ll save some already vintage soaps for another 50 years and some day a collector will find my estate and will discover some 100+ year old shaving soaps. Good for that guy! He’ll be saying just like I do, “just imagin the luck this stuff must have to survive all these years an come to me in this condition, it seems almost impossible.”

It’s all chance, you never know when you’ll find something again, so either be ready to pounce or be happy for the other guy that does(even if it hurts lol).
That's true. But even stuff I didn't want I could have let you guys know about.

Back