The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

McVeyMac's Straight Razor (and other traditional wet shaving) Adventures

My goodness Walt! You need to duplicate that info in the Hones section of the forum. So MUCH useful info there.

My goodness Walt! You need to duplicate that info in the Hones section of the forum. So MUCH useful info there.

+1 -- Please turn this information into an article and make it sticky over in the Honing section. This is great information.

Great reads, Walt! Love the Ark talk.

Have you seen these vids on flattening/lapping Arks?

Great reads, Walt! Love the Ark talk.

Have you seen these vids on flattening/lapping Arks?

I had not seen those Chris. The third one states that they come perfectly flat. I will say that some of them come perfectly flat, but not all. But I have to say that the Dan's stones that I have are very close to perfectly flat. The dimension that I am seeing that they are off should not effect honing as it is off over the length. Across the width, all of mine have been perfectly flat. As stated in my journal, I used 120, 220 and 500 grit SiC, then a series of wet/dry sandpaper to polish.

Roger that, Walt. I just came across those vids this past week whilst on the road.

Awesome reads to catch up on, Walt! I can't see myself falling down the entire honing rabbit hole, but the Ark has my attention.

And just a heads up, I will be in your state this weekend, so if you smell something funny you will know what it is! SWMBO's cousin has a wedding near Lewisburg.

Awesome reads to catch up on, Walt! I can't see myself falling down the entire honing rabbit hole, but the Ark has my attention.

And just a heads up, I will be in your state this weekend, so if you smell something funny you will know what it is! SWMBO's cousin has a wedding near Lewisburg.

Lewisburg is just 40 to 45 mi. Jim. My daughter is getting married Saturday after next, so we are going to be quite busy around here, else I would try to hook up. I'll PM you with specifics in case we can work something out.

This am shave was back to the 6/8" BRW after giving it another 30 laps or so on the 2x8 after the last shave with it on Monday. Today I did a full 2 passes, with a modified 3rd on the problem areas only, adding a normal water cleanup. Very nice full on BBS+ shave, but just not grail worthy as the 7/8" was yesterday. This morning I could have easily skipped the shave, and none other than myself would know. But then again, my whiskers have no pigment.

Today I learned that Gunnery Sargent R. Lee Ermey passes away on April 15th. Unknown to me, he and I shared a birthday. At ease Gunny Ermey, rest in peace.

Got too many things happening here, and none of them good. I did have a good shave with the 7/8" BRW Barber's Notch. Full BBS+.

Sorry there Walt, hope you hear better from you soon.

Glad you were able to get that video posted, i know the Link issue was causing problems. Watching the video one thing became crystal clear ...You see a guy, a character, on the silver screen and you assume you know who they are. Like the images in their movies, you just assume they are who you see in front of you and they will be forever. Then you watch the tribute video that was produced for the benefit of his family and friends and you see a person. The person you see could be you or me they look so normal and otherwise mundane. The family photos show a life that looks so enjoyable and so much deeper than the Character on the screen.

Hope the world of McVey calms down soon.

Back