The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

McVeyMac's Straight Razor (and other traditional wet shaving) Adventures

Today's shave was the same as yesterday's and the previous approximately 150 straight razor shaves in the den. Nothing new to report. I am almost afraid to branch out into some of my other razors as I have been using the same razor for a very long time. I had done this once before (not quite as long I don't think), and I forgot how to shave with my hollow ground razors. I then had to go into a rotation to get adequate results from all of my different razor types.

If any of you are thinking about doing maintenance honing with a Black or Trans. Ark, my dataset suggests that there is merit to this approach. I'm not sure if Dave is still incorporating this into his daily routine, but I think it would take him a very long time to get 150 shaves on each of his razors to either confirm or deny my result here.

Below is the last full post that I made on this razor in that other forum. I've been shaving with it ever since. And Dave, I do not Love Blasted Blue Willie. I love all of the people involved in the challenge, but I repeat: I do not Love Blasted Blue Willie.

Tuesday, 9-26-2017, Straight Shave #726

Strop: TomoNagura Cotton/Canvas:
Below is the last Roughly Pre 30 Cotton 30 Linen, Post 30 Cotton to dry the blade, 15 pressure/15 light on linen, then
Tony Miller Heirloom Leather, Pre 80, Post 30 pressure, 30 light, Leather:
Razor: Time Since Last Hone: 34th shave since hone. 31st 2x8x1/2" Black Ark Maintenance post shave.
Hones: Soft, Hard, Translucent and Black Ark progression.
Prep: Shower with MVM Beta 1.0 Orange Bath and Baby Soap for shampoo
Brush: Stirling 26mm Finest Badger
Software: MVM Beta 1.2 Last puck of this batch.
Razor: BRW 7/8" with Ghost Jade
Growth (days): 1.0
Method: 3.0 Pass: 1X N-S/WTG, 2.0X S-N/ATG+. One small pass ATG touchup problems with water on neck/jaw/chin.

Results: Complete BBS.

No cuts, no weepers, no irritation.

Remarks: I am completely content in staying with this razor and maintenance combination. I am not sure exactly how long I will keep it up, so no co
mmitments to go for 365 shaves or anything, but the razor is working just fine for me. Yesterday I had a grail worthy shave on 1.5 days of growth, and I really could have skipped a shave today. But I am glad that I went forward anyway. I would have felt like a bum right about now had I not shaved.

Questions: None

Work On: Jnat honing, Ark honing.

Great set-up Walt, it seems like you have found a winning formula for your daily shaves between the hardware, software, and the routine. Good read!

I'm happy that you found your groove set Walt. I am intrigued with the maintenance regimen you suggest. Thanks again for the advice on the wedges!

I know Walt hence the reason for your custom title LOL

Xenostr8shaver said:
I know Walt hence the reason for your custom title LOL
I think that one might be able to describe you as being a little evil Dave.
1f61c.png

Great to see you here, Walt! I need to talk with you sometime about Ark honing. I’m in the early stages of full Ark progression honing.

Today's shave was the same one as yesterday. So nothing new to report on this front. Work is crazy wild. Just now checking in at COB.

Great stuff Walt!

Seems like you've found a groove that works and your sticking with it.

Nothing new to report here as the shave was the same all week. The PRW is starting to get a little tuggy, but the result was BBS-. Might get to the hones this weekend if the weather sucks as much as forecasted.

Yeah the weather here is COLD and overcast, wind chills around freezing today.

cmh737 said:
Good luck with upcoming honing. Arks?
Well, I did not get around to the honing over the weekend. But I do intend to keep the BRW on the Ark progression. Yesterday's shave was getting too tuggy for my liking, yet the shave was fairly good. So today I did something different, first time since last August.

I could no longer stand the tugging of the BRW, so today I went to my stash to bring this razor out.

I posted this in one of Chris L's post, and it dawned on me that I have not shaved with this razor in a very long time. It shaved just like a Coupe De Ville rides, nice and smooth. I did manage to get a slight nick from it as the point is not muted. I knew it was not muted, and was being careful, but then the mind wandered on one of my special passes that I do to tackle a problem area, and the crimson made a showing. Stopped by the cold water splash, and no more attention was required on my part.

Aside from the slight appearance of Heir Redflow, nice shave with the C-MON Walt! I've caught myself a few times with un-muted points as well...always surprises me even if I'm paying attention.

Back