The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Longhaultanker Videos

Today ended with 550 miles in the desert New Mexico town famed by John Wayne’s breakout movie Stagecoach… Lordsburg. I’ve got 750 miles, 12 hours to destination, and two and a half days to get there. Easy peasy. And lots of time to catch up on some needed sleep. No shave tonight. I just don’t need one from C-Mon’s superb shave last night. So much the better for tomorrow night’s with 48+ hours to mow down. Tomorrow I’ll feature another vintage in mint condition. For the rest of tonight I’ll eat dinner and lurk around here.
It has been interesting following your travels and shaves.

What are your tips for surviving long drives, day after day? Anytime I drive 600-700 miles a day (maybe 6 or 8 times a year), I stay hydrated and stop every couple of hours for a bathroom and to walk a few laps. That seems to work best for me. Anytime I skip fluids and push harder between stops, I feel pretty rough the next day. I like to drive, but I don't like feeling whipped when I get to my destination. I'd appreciate any tips or insights. Thanks.

Gillette slide?????

Oh pshaw…… do the Straight Tanker Slide.

JumboTron Time stamp 36:30
😎

It has been interesting following your travels and shaves.

What are your tips for surviving long drives, day after day? Anytime I drive 600-700 miles a day (maybe 6 or 8 times a year), I stay hydrated and stop every couple of hours for a bathroom and to walk a few laps. That seems to work best for me. Anytime I skip fluids and push harder between stops, I feel pretty rough the next day. I like to drive, but I don't like feeling whipped when I get to my destination. I'd appreciate any tips or insights. Thanks.
The only other thing I’d add is, keep your mind active, thinking on something other than the road. Music, at least for me, won’t do. I listen to a lot of SiriusXM Classic Radio channel 148. Jack Benny, Dragnet, Johnny Dollar, Philip Marlo’s, Sam Spade, and others. Also I listen to a lot of politics from the internet from my iPad through Bluetooth. The thing about driving is it requires your complete attention 100% of the time... and you as the driver have to be 100% right every time. You never know what that knot-head is going to do. Put the phone down. So if you're driving 6-8 hours you’re naturally going to feel fatigued even with breaks. Many’s the time I complete a long day 600-675 miles and I’ll say, I’m just going to rest my eyes, and I’ll drop off for an hour in the driver‘s chair. Hard to avoid fatigue after a long drive because it really does take a lot out of you and can only be restored by sleep. This is why DOT Hours Of Service (HOS) regulations are so rigid.

PS - The rhythm of the road will put you to sleep. The rhythm of music will put you to sleep. Give me a murder mystery or comedy, or a political argument that requires me to think, I’ll be ok till the next rest area or truck stop.

Last edited:
The only other thing I’d add is, keep your mind active, thinking on something other than the road. Music, at least for me, won’t do. I listen to a lot of SiriusXM Classic Radio channel 148. Jack Benny, Dragnet, Johnny Dollar, Philip Marlo’s, Sam Spade, and others. Also I listen to a lot of politics from the internet from my iPad through Bluetooth. The thing about driving is it requires your complete attention 100% of the time... and you as the driver have to be 100% right every time. You never know what that knot-head is going to do. Put the phone down. So if you're driving 6-8 hours you’re naturally going to feel fatigued even with breaks. Many’s the time I complete a long day 600-675 miles and I’ll say, I’m just going to rest my eyes, and I’ll drop off for an hour in the driver‘s chair. Hard to avoid fatigue after a long drive because it really does take a lot out of you and can only be restored by sleep. This is why DOT Hours Of Service (HOS) regulations are so rigid.

PS - The rhythm of the road will put you to sleep. The rhythm of music will put you to sleep. Give me a murder mystery or comedy, or a political argument that requires me to think, I’ll be ok till the next rest area or truck stop.
That's very helpful. Thank you!

Ok, this twice I’ve seen this “Gillette Slide” thing. What is it?
In more modern times, Mantic59 showed in one of his vids detailing advanced shaving techniques.

I don’t have it, but I did see copies of very old Gillette literature where it was detailed.

In more modern times, Mantic59 showed in one of his vids detailing advanced shaving techniques.

I don’t have it, but I did see copies of very old Gillette literature where it was detailed.
What is the relevance? Seems like some joke has attached. Fonze jumping the shark sort of thing?

What is the relevance? Seems like some joke has attached. Fonze jumping the shark sort of thing?
Moving the shave piece down AND simultaneously across is a valid and effective maneuver for hair removal regardless of the tool used.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was Gillette who first published it. No disrespect intended on my part.

Guys, either I’m dense, thick-headed, or y’all missing the import of my question. Now that Gillette Slide had been defined, Bill, what was significance and intended meaning of bringing it up earlier?

When I saw the familiar technique used with a straight, I thought a more appropriate title might be used hence…..

…..The Straight Tanker Slide

Gillette slide?????

Oh pshaw…… do the Straight Tanker Slide.

JumboTron Time stamp 36:30
😎

I have not contacted the copyright admin for certification, so feel free to use as is, discard, or modify at your pleasure.

So the similarity between what you saw me do with a straight and the Gillette Slide done with a DE, or other non-straight razor. I would have never known. 🤣 Please excuse my belaboring the question.

Will you be home in time for Christmas? or is that answered in the latest video? If it is, don’t answer - I haven’t watched yet and will do so tonight.

Back