The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Life On the Wee Woo Box

Up next is a throttle body spacer and oil separator. They're simple upgrades, relatively inexpensive and will in theory increase efficiency and longevity of my engine.
I'm thinking of upgrading my collector's item Chevy Cruze with a wind-shifter for better aerodynamics, and maybe a sky brake for parking on hills.

• Pre-shave: Splash and gooooooo
  • Razor: The Long Bow one? Of the larger of the straight razors I restored, 7/8 I think.
  • Blade: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the one between the scales
  • Brush: One of my That Darn Rob with a synthetic knot. I should really go back and refresh my memory. Moving on.
  • Soap: Purely Skinful Handmade Essentials Barbearshop
  • Aftershave: Noble Otter Orbit balm
  • Frag: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
  • Music: The Devil Wears Prada - With Root Above And Branches Below
Hey, it's not as frequent as before, but I'm here! Work has been work. It's been a lot of fun being allowed to work on "beautification" projects around the station with little oversight. My last project was repainting the air-conditioning filter grates; they somehow managed to get rusty despite being painted. Humidity is really weird. One of my coworkers decided to leave the department for personal reasons and while I'll miss his goofy presence, I'm happy that he'll be back home with his parents...and closer to the best tacos in the world...fight me. Hector leaving meant that I had to move shifts, which the boss promised was temporary, but I'm open to it being permanent. It also means a potential promotion. In the past I've been reluctant to entertain the idea of being a supervisor, but I finally feel that my leadership skills are at least close to par along with my clinical knowledge. If the opportunity arises, I'll take the promotional exam and we'll see what comes of it.

This was easily my best straight razor shave to date. I picked up the razor and noticed some rust spots, no big deal, I'll hit it with the rust eraser on Sunday. I've also come to the conclusion that while not all soaps are of the same quality, you can absolutely get phenomenal shaves with what I would consider a not super great tier soap. It lathers perfectly fine and has more than adequate slickness. I've been working through some of the stuff that I bought for scent without regard for performance, but it hasn't bitten me in the rear yet. WTG and ATG got me pretty dang close to what I'd get from a DE. There are spots I'll never be able to get perfect because of the direction of growth on my neck, but I'll take it. DFS FTW!

Dez Moines randomly came on when I was driving and I was taken back to playing Guitar Hero I think 3. I always told myself that I'd learn how to play it on a real guitar. Well, I now have 6 guitars and I still haven't learned it. :ROFLMAO:

This is the last of 5 consecutive days off after working every other day for 3 weeks. I had forgotten what it was like to have free time. On the second day, I was really anxious and I couldn't wait to get back to work. The 3rd day was a reminder of what it's like to be able to sleep in and go about my day at my leisure. I can't say I did a lot of things this break, but the things that I did do had been bothering me for a while. I'm also stoked about going to my second Houston Dynamo game on the 22nd. The first one was super fun, but I was exhausted from work so I'm excited to see how I do when I'm not exhausted. The stadium is really clean and more intimate than I was expecting. I'm used to giant Texas high school football stadiums with 50 yards between the first row and the sideline. I've rambled on enough. Thanks for hanging out in my little corner of the Internet, Cadre. @GearNoir, drink some water!

Glad to see you are getting some mental health days in brother. I recently took over a supervisory role myself (oh joy). But it was the lessor of two evils for me. Next time I am in Houston for a conference or training, I’ll give you a shout. It’s been too long.

Glad to see you are getting some mental health days in brother. I recently took over a supervisory role myself (oh joy). But it was the lessor of two evils for me. Next time I am in Houston for a conference or training, I’ll give you a shout. It’s been too long.
Hell, I'm open to getting learnt about some freshwater fishing this summer too. Hopefully we can get the stars aligned.

That's a lot of stuff going on! Hopefully the promo comes through.
Lots of moving pieces on the chess board, indeed.

Keep up the good chillin! Well deserved!
No, you!

• Pre-shave: Shower
  • Razor: I
  • Blade: completely
  • Brush: forgot
  • Soap: what
  • Aftershave: I used
  • Frag: Maison Margiela - Replica: At The Barbershop
  • Music: Norma Jean - Polar Similar
I need to get on more than once a year. I was randomly thinking about @MilkCrate and about to shoot Tim a text, but then I had to go do my job, and that's what prompted me to get on and see how everybody is doing. For better or worse, I got promoted. I am officially Lt. bentheduck, EMS Supervisor. Other than that, work is work. Nothing really new at home except that I have another cat that my wife got from the animal farm that is my mother-in-law's house.

In terms of shaving, I haven't been shaving nearly as often because I hardly have to fight fire anymore, not that I was ever a fire dawg before. Heck, I had a decent little beard going when it froze a few weeks ago, almost intentionally too. Although, I do have my handlebar mustache on full display. It's pretty irritating when people tell me what I should do to my mustache. I've been doing a great job of not telling them where they can put their own mustache wax so far. :ROFLMAO: The FOMO in me has definitely died down a lot, but all that means is that my shaving money has now become gun parts, mechanical keyboard parts, and garage tool money. I blame my rediagnosed ADHD and subsequent prescription Adderall for my deep dive into tinkering with small parts.

At The Barbershop is incredible. It's been what I've been grabbing the past couple of weeks. I had been wearing A*Men Pure Havane by Mugler for a few weeks before that just because it's a bit of a warmer scent and I still absolutely love tobacco scents.

No, there's no bootleg tapes of Marilyn Monroe playing above, it's a post hardcore band. I occasionally rediscover music that I listened to in high school. It's safe to say they still put out bangers, if you're into that type of music, AKA lots of yelling stuff.

I hope you're all well. I'll try to get on more often. I kinda miss the comradery this corner of the Internet provides. L8er, g8er.

Ben!!!! And is not your fault the site has been having som issues on posting

Great update Ben! Glad things are going well for you and the family.

Congrats on the promotion!

• Pre-shave: Shower
  • Razor: I
  • Blade: completely
  • Brush: forgot
  • Soap: what
  • Aftershave: I used
  • Frag: Maison Margiela - Replica: At The Barbershop
  • Music: Norma Jean - Polar Similar
I need to get on more than once a year. I was randomly thinking about @MilkCrate and about to shoot Tim a text, but then I had to go do my job, and that's what prompted me to get on and see how everybody is doing.

I have that affect on people :cool:

Welcome back my friend and congrats on the promo! I have been a bit quiet on the forums, but still around.

Back