The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

Great shave Randall, you're making very noticeable progress every shave!

So, that upward stroke on the neck scared me as well when I first started. The more I do that type of stroke, however, the more it seems like every other type of stroke carries more danger than that one.

74, 111 this morning.

Used the OSP soap again today. Lather not quite as strong as yesterday's, but still pretty good.

Decided to do a comparison today. Used the ZY for the right side and the Tilquin for the left. First pass reduction was similar on both sides, so defaulted to the ZY for the remainder of the shave.

Tried 4 passes on the cheeks today. Got close to manta-ray smooth there. The neck I only did two, and then cleaned up. Overall, though, a good shave again.

Both razors feel like the edges are slightly rounding compared with where they were a week and a half ago. I may do some refreshing soon.

Have a good day.

Great couple of shaves!

Good progress! Keep at it your doing just fine!

75, 112 today.

OSP still has at least one more shave in it, maybe......this morning's lather wasn't all that. I think when you get this low, sometimes it doesn't work as well. I may or may not try to coax another shave from it.

Back to the OG this morning (my Noonan and sons). Stropped her up and got to work. Got a nice two+ pass shave, but ended up with two weepers on the chin. My wife came in and was asking me something as I was doing a cross-handed XTG pass and I pushed a bit too hard with an imperfect angle. Nothing a styptic couldn't stop right away, but the first weepers I've had in awhile.

The razor was plenty sharp.

Ran some errands with my wife thereafter but the weather is really nice, so I think I'll go play golf now. Hope you are having a great day.

sorry to hear the shave wasn't hitting on all cylinders this morning. At least there is some redemption with time with SWMBO and a round of golf!

Thanks, guys. It wasn't a bad shave at all. Just a couple of tiny weepers.

Gorgeous day for some golf, too, which I enjoyed a great deal.

Tomorrow is my day off open blades. Start up again on Monday.

Good read Randall! Bummer about the weepers, it only takes a little distraction sometimes and OUCH!

I wish I could play golf - I retired from the game because I was so bad. But I do follow it.

76, 113 and 77, 114 were yesterday morning and this morning.

Yesterday I used an earlier version of Soapy Science in the "Doc's Special Blend" scent (named after me!). I used the Noonan and Sons razor. Uneventful shave. Did some clean-up with a bullet tip GEM, but overall a good shave. The DSB scent had a lot more cooling than I remembered, probably because the last time I used it was with a DE and the shave was quicker. It doesn't have any menthol in it per se, but it has peppermint, spearmint, and wintergreen (in addition to other scent notes), so it cools the face quite a bit. The wintergreen, in particular, is an unusual scent note that I love. It's in a good blend that also includes citrus and vetiver, so you don't really smell "wintergreen" in particular, but it's definitely in the accord. Anyway, a great scent and very refreshing.

This morning I used Mike's in the OCBP scent, and I went back to my ZY. I refreshed the edge last night on CrOx and FeOx. I had a nice shave with it this morning. On the right cheek it seemed a bit harsh but by the time I got to the left cheek the edge had settled down a bit.

I had a meeting to get to and was running late, so when I saw the time, I decided to do jawline and chin clean-up with an Atra so I could get done very quickly. The entire shave went well until I somewhat ironically got a small weeper on the chin from the Atra! So maybe I'm at the point where I'm more likely to get a weeper from a cartridge razor than from a large chunk of sharpened steel. I find that kind of amusing.

Anyway, overall, another good shave this morning. Have a great day, gentlemen.

So the big question is, now that you've been using straights for a while, will the wife let you get a standard strop?

Nice shaves!

One thing that I notice is that, if a straight shave is going well, I am very likely to cause myself nicks and weepers when I switch to something else for cleanup.

nice stuff...I've experienced the weepers and nicks associated with switching shaving systems too...it causes me to really slow down and concentrate on what's happening in the moment.

Back