The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

What beach? Sorry, I’m not sure where you are.
We went to Sandbridge beach, which is just south of Virginia Beach. I live in SE Virginia, about 20 miles from the ocean.

I slept in too! Great shave and nice relaxing trip, if you are into the beach, not my cup of tea, but glad you had a good time.
Thanks.

I can't remember the last time I went to the beach. I'm not much of a beach guy now...but when I lived in Hawaii...I loved it! So much to do there!
I don't go as often as I probably should, given my proximity.

In other words, a perfect day at the beach.
1f60e.png
Yes, Chris. It was pretty much a perfect day at the beach.

165/203 this morning.

So, I had to try out the old reliable Noonan, newly honed by CBL (thanks again!). And while I was at it, I went back to a sample of "50 shades of vetiver," which is a simple MdC-ish soap with a wonderful scent that CBL was kind enough to send to me when he returned the razors.

So, I lathered it up with a synthetic brush. Again, the lather is fluffier and not as dense as my usual favorite tallow soaps, but it turns out that it still shaves great. It's actually slicker than some of my usual soaps. And the scent, as I mentioned, is really nice. Maybe it's not a perfect clone of Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver, but it smells great.

Anyway, from the first stroke I was very happy with this razor's edge. Very sharp and yet not harsh feeling. It plowed right through the stubble, even in the densest areas, without hesitation. After two passes I was CCS, but I decided to do a third pass anyway. Got me to DFS! Probably the closest shave I've had in several months.

Clean-up was with a Schick injector, and I was good to go for the day. I did get, I think, a tiny bit too much exfoliation in certain spots, especially on the right neck; to check, I used an alcohol-based aftershave splash. There was a bit of sting in a couple of areas, but nothing too bad. No sign of burn or irritation can be seen, so it was very minor. I just need to remember how sharp the razor is now and ease up a bit and it should be good.

This razor just suits me. I don't know what it is about it. The weight is perfect, the balance is perfect. It just really works well for me. Better than the Rosette, which is a much better LOOKING razor. I can get a good shave with it, but the Noonan just seems to do it more easily.

Hope y'all have a great day.

We went to Sandbridge beach, which is just south of Virginia Beach. I live in SE Virginia, about 20 miles from the ocean.
Nice. Thanks. I was born in Portsmouth, VA at the Naval Hospital. I think I only lived in VA for a few months. My mom moved with me to Michigan when my dad went back out to sea. But when we did live there our house was on the water, not that I remember it of course.

Nice couple of shaves there Randall...great shave with the Noonan!!!

I love the beach as well...I was lucky enough to grow up on the coast. Such a relaxing trip, if you can avoid the crowds and expensive parking.

Excellent shave Randall! Awesome that Chris could give the razors a good hone!

Happy to hear the edge worked well for you. I just posted a video of me honing that razor in the tutorial section. It was all done on the Welsh Slates and French Vosges (with pasted cotton strop of course). I can see why you like that razor, it is solid example of a razor, not too big and not too small.

That Chris of the CBL variety is a pretty decent dude! Sounds like a great shave! I shaved with one of Chris' soaps also for the first time this morning and had a great shave myself!

Nice. Thanks. I was born in Portsmouth, VA at the Naval Hospital. I think I only lived in VA for a few months. My mom moved with me to Michigan when my dad went back out to sea. But when we did live there our house was on the water, not that I remember it of course.
Cool. Portsmouth is right across the Elizabeth river from the hospital I work in; we can see Portsmouth from some of the patient rooms on the 7th and 8th floors.

Great read and shave Randall!
Thanks!

Me, too. ;-)

Nice couple of shaves there Randall...great shave with the Noonan!!!

I love the beach as well...I was lucky enough to grow up on the coast. Such a relaxing trip, if you can avoid the crowds and expensive parking.
Yep. We got a $5 parking spot right where we wanted to be that was good for all day. Crowds were moderate given that it was a holiday.

Excellent shave Randall! Awesome that Chris could give the razors a good hone!
Thanks! Yeah, Chris did a great job.

Happy to hear the edge worked well for you. I just posted a video of me honing that razor in the tutorial section. It was all done on the Welsh Slates and French Vosges (with pasted cotton strop of course). I can see why you like that razor, it is solid example of a razor, not too big and not too small.
I'll definitely give the video a close look. Thanks again.

That Chris of the CBL variety is a pretty decent dude! Sounds like a great shave! I shaved with one of Chris' soaps also for the first time this morning and had a great shave myself!
Yeah. He's awesome. I also used a different one of his soap samples today; see below.

166/204 this morning.

I don't have a good reason, but I went back to the Sta-Sharp for this morning's shave. Don't need a good reason, I suppose. I also changed my touch-up razor from the injector of the Hammer of Vishnu to a vintage Merkur travel slant that I haven't used in a long time. I don't know the exact age of the razor, but it looks exactly like the Hoffritz, complete with the handle that has the white look to it. I'm guessing 1960s. I used it with my UFO Titan Fine L handle, though. Anyway, it's an awesome razor.

For lather I used a sample of CBL's Russian Tea. I'm not sure that what I used is the same soap that he is now selling on his website. It said "CBL Russian Tea" and then the word "mix." So I don't really know what that means.

In any case, out of the container the scent immediately reminded me of spiced hot cider; the kind that people serve on Halloween. I don't drink tea, so I have no idea what Russian Tea is supposed to smell like.

As I lathered it up, the scent morphed a little bit. Seemed to have more orange in it than spiced hot cider does, or at least more citrus. Definitely still have the cinnamon and clove thing going on. I found the scent quite pleasant. Not overpowering, but not faint, either.

It took me awhile to get the lather where I wanted it. I think, ultimately, that it needed a bit more water and maybe a tiny bit more time, but it shaved great.

Partially because I was in a hurry, and partially just for fun, I did the first pass with the slant on the left side and with the Sta-Sharp on the right. First-pass reduction was definitely better on the left. For the second pass I switched it up, so I did the second pass on the left with the Sta-Sharp and on the right with the DE. After two passes, both sides were fundamentally equivalent.

I did an XTG on the cheeks with the Sta-Sharp on the left and with the Merkur on the right. After a final rinse, I was DFS for sure, without irritation, nicks, or weepers. After the shave face feel was phenomenal.

I splashed on my Citrus Mint Menthol aftershave and was very happy with the shave. My skin doesn't feel irritated or tight at all today. Just a smooth, comfortable shave.

Hope y'all have a great day today.

That Russian tea mix was a mash up of the left over test variations. Not the scent I’m using now but not far from it either. Should also note, the performance of that sample could be different in any number of ways because I used a raw batch and didn’t do several steps ...priority was to develop a scent.

Nice mix up shave with the two razors Randall. Anytime you can walk away with a shave that you can describe as smooth and comfortable, that's a win!

That Russian tea mix was a mash up of the left over test variations. Not the scent I’m using now but not far from it either. Should also note, the performance of that sample could be different in any number of ways because I used a raw batch and didn’t do several steps ...priority was to develop a scent.
Thanks for the clarification.

Wait what? What’s this Citrus Mint Menthol AS you speak of?
1f633.png
It's made by a local company up in Williamsburg. The company name is so forgettable that even though I looked at the bottle this morning planning on posting the name here, I'm not sure I remember it! Totally Natural Skin, maybe? It's nice stuff. The first ingredient is aloe vera juice and the second ingredient is witch hazel. The scent is really nice and it has a moderate cooling effect that appears a few seconds later and lasts for several minutes. It's nice stuff.

Well that pretty much sums it up!
1f609.png
Yep!

Nice mix up shave with the two razors Randall. Anytime you can walk away with a shave that you can describe as smooth and comfortable, that's a win!
Totally agree with you. Thanks.

167/205 this morning. Stirling peach gave me a ridiculously good lather this morning. I used the Noonan (its second shave since CBL honed it up). Three smooth passes later, and I am DFS again.

I tried one thing this morning that I'm kinda surprised I haven't thought of before. It's so simple. Maybe the fact that I got out my slant razor gave me the inspiration. My third pass on the cheeks has been an XTG nose-to-ear, exactly straight back, with the razor held straight up and down. This morning I decided to hold the razor tilted a bit toward the ear, rather than straight up and down, but then move the razor straight back. This produces a bit of a "Gillette slide" action. It was easy and it worked really well. I'll probably keep doing this particular move. It's a subtle change, but I think it makes a difference.

Have a great day, gents!

Great technique inspiration! I’m not too adventurous with my strokes yet. I barely even scythe.

A slight angle to the blade and a slight scything action while the blade is in motion (IN MOTION!) can make a heck of a difference.

Great technique inspiration! I’m not too adventurous with my strokes yet. I barely even scythe.
Thanks!

A slight angle to the blade and a slight scything action while the blade is in motion (IN MOTION!) can make a heck of a difference.
Yep. Did it again this morning, with great success.

168/206 today.

I stropped up the Rosette (a beautiful Japanese shorty) and pulled out the Mystic Water Rosalimone for this morning's fine shave.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this razor; the angle it requires is slightly steeper than what I have been using with the Sta-Sharp and the Noonan. I'm also finally getting a feel for the shorter blade.

Anyway, I had a fair first pass, a good second pass, and an excellent third pass. On the third pass I replicated the idea I had yesterday, of angling the razor about 15 degrees downward toward the ear from vertical, but then shaving directly straight back from nose to ear. Nice, smooth reduction to DFS.

I can't really say enough good things about MW Rosalimone. It's just amazing. The scent is, at the risk of sounding like your Aunt Jane, lovely. Delightful, even. The post-shave face feel, to me, is second to none. The lather that comes up out of the breech after the third pass is likely the best lather on the planet. Love, love, love this soap!

Oh, and the aftershave is made by a company called Perfectly Natural Soap, although it says "Perfectly Natural Skin" on the actual bottle. It's confusing. Good stuff, though. I don't know if I am allowed to provide a link or not? I'm not affiliated with them in any way and it doesn't benefit me at all. Administrators, if this is not allowed, please remove the link. If I see that the link is removed, I'll be sure to avoid providing links in the future. https://perfectlynaturalsoap.com/collections/men

I hope y'all have a great Friday and a nice weekend!

Great couple of shaves Randal!
Was that the Lotion or the splash? What scent and how would you describe it?

Have you tried any of their soaps?

Sounds like a good find, plenty of skin food, and a decent price too!
Yep. Like I said, I accidentally stumbled onto their brick-and-mortar store in a tiny town here in SE Virginia; gave it a try and I really like it.

Great couple of shaves Randal!
Was that the Lotion or the splash? What scent and how would you describe it?

Have you tried any of their soaps?
It's the splash. Aloe vera, witch hazel, glycerin are the first three ingredients. There is alcohol in it but it's not strictly an "alcohol splash" like many classic aftershaves. The scent is a wonderful blend of citrus with a light to moderate mint background. I love it. Cooling is mild to moderate; so if you like a really cold menthol blast, this aftershave isn't for you.

169/207 this morning.

Lathered up Soapy Science in "My Special Blend." Loaded heavy and got an amazingly rich lather. Used the Noonan, with the vintage Merkur slant for clean-up.

Did three passes and ended up CCS+. Using the "Gillette slide" on the third pass has really made the third pass more efficient and also slightly easier. Loving it. I am also getting much better at the "Chimensch pass," especially on the left side of my face. The weakest parts of my shave right now are the Chimensch on the right (done with the left hand), and the jawline. I also am working on the XTG on the chin area. That's still not very good.

One day at a time. Overall my shaves are good and are continuing to very slowly improve.

Have a great day!

Great shaves! That slide technique is interesting. I am still working on stroke consistency and have a ways to go.

Back