The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

Wow, that 200 flew by! Congratulations. You're dedicated to the straights so they are going to be adding up fast.

Happy to hear the Rossett treated you well for your #200, honored to have had the opportunity to hone that great razor.

You are right, the 50 shades of vetiver is a simple stearin Acid and coconut oil soAp made in a similar vain as Martin de candle. It’s the one I made on video to demo simple soap making 101.

Big congratulations on reaching 200!

Great shave to kick off the next 100.
Thanks Chris.

Congrats on #200, Randall!
Thanks, Chris.

Wow, that 200 flew by! Congratulations. You're dedicated to the straights so they are going to be adding up fast.
Yeah, I think so. It surprised me how quickly it came.

Happy to hear the Rossett treated you well for your #200, honored to have had the opportunity to hone that great razor.

You are right, the 50 shades of vetiver is a simple stearin Acid and coconut oil soAp made in a similar vain as Martin de candle. It’s the one I made on video to demo simple soap making 101.
Awesome. You put a good edge on it, for sure. I had a feeling the soap was a Martin de Candre like endeavor. The scent, in my opinion, is much better than MdC, though.

Great shave Randall and congrats on #200! Cheers to the next 200 shaves!
Thanks, Josh!

164/201 this morning. The next 200 started with MW Rosalimone lather and the Sta-Sharp razor. Wow. What a great start! I ADORE the Rosalimone. Yes, it takes longer to get the lather where I want it, but boy, is it worth it! I had a fantastic, rich, wonderfully-scented lather this morning that had good slickness, good cushion, and an amazing face feel after I was finished. This one is really a winner.

The Sta-Sharp is nice. I wanted to try this narrow little blade (but full length) back-to-back with the shorty (generous width blade but truncated). The Sta-Sharp works great. I just rinse a bit more frequently. But it feels good on the face and it gets the job done without much ado.

Since it is Saturday, I decided to just do two passes plus a bit of touch-up. WTG and then the Chimensch pass, and I was CCS-ish. I did jawline touch-up with my iKon Pils clone and I ended up with a fantastic result.

I hope everybody has a wonderful holiday weekend! Tomorrow I have double-duty again, with organ playing in the main meeting and teaching Old Testament in Sunday School. Tomorrow it's Ezra, Nehemiah, and Ecclesiastes. Wish me luck, lol.

Enjoy your Saturday good Doctor! Knock em down with a rousing rendition of 20,000 Leagues’ Toccata and Fugue in D minor...

Catching up again Randall!

Great shave and reads! Congratulations on

I also had my 200th straight shave this week!

Congratulations to your Son on getting a job. My grandmother owned a small country grocery store that I helped in and then worked at while I was going to school, (after she had sold it). Great learning experience dealing with "John Q Public".

Yes Chris L. makes a great soap and can put a great edge on a blade too!

Good shave Randall...sounds like it's going to be a full morning tomorrow at church!
Yep. Almost didn't make it on time this morning. Kind of important for the organist to be there, lol. I walked in with about one minute to spare!

Enjoy your Saturday good Doctor! Knock em down with a rousing rendition of 20,000 Leagues’ Toccata and Fugue in D minor...
Ha! Not quite good enough for that just yet, but I played pretty well. The lesson went well, too.

Catching up again Randall!

Great shave and reads! Congratulations on

I also had my 200th straight shave this week!

Congratulations to your Son on getting a job. My grandmother owned a small country grocery store that I helped in and then worked at while I was going to school, (after she had sold it). Great learning experience dealing with "John Q Public".

Yes Chris L. makes a great soap and can put a great edge on a blade too!
Sweet! Congrats to you, too.

They are killing my son at work. They said "part time," but he put in 36 hours in his first week.

Today's shave was the AoS lemon and two quick passes with The Hammer of Vishnu. CCS-, I'd say. Didn't really have time to do a bunch of touch-up work, so I called it good. No irritation, no weepers. All-in-all, pretty good.

Back to the straight razor tomorrow, but now I have so many choices! Give the Rosette another go? Try the new edge on the Noonan (my old stand-by)? The ZY, maybe? Back to the Sta-Sharp? I think I'll decide this evening and get one of 'em stropped up.

Have a great Sunday, and I hope at least some of you have tomorrow off. If you do, enjoy!

Too many shave choices is a good problem to have! I doubt you’ll go wrong whatever you choose!

Happy Sunday!

Nothing wrong with a pretty good shave!

kingfisher said:
Back to the straight razor tomorrow, but now I have so many choices! Give the Rosette another go? Try the new edge on the Noonan (my old stand-by)? The ZY, maybe? Back to the Sta-Sharp? I think I'll decide this evening and get one of 'em stropped up.

Nice one Randall for a relaxing Sunday shave! It's nice, sometimes, to be spoiled for choice!

Thanks, guys!

165/202 this morning. Had the day off, so I slept in a bit. Decided to go with the Rosette, which I forgot to strop last night, so I gave it a quick stropping this morning. Lathered up the Stirling Peach and went at it.

After 2 passes I was clean enough for a day off. Touched up the chin line a bit with an injector, and called it good. CCS in two passes. I got a tiny bit of irritation on the low right neck where I think I got the angle slightly wrong, but otherwise all good. No nicks or weepers.

My wife and I then went to the beach and spent a couple of hours relaxing. The waves were crashing way too close to the shore for any boogie boarding, unfortunately. It was a bit crowded, but not overly so. It was warm but not baking hot and there was a nice breeze.

All told, a pretty good day off, I'd say.

Hope yours was nice, too.

I slept in too! Great shave and nice relaxing trip, if you are into the beach, not my cup of tea, but glad you had a good time.

I can't remember the last time I went to the beach. I'm not much of a beach guy now...but when I lived in Hawaii...I loved it! So much to do there!

....My wife and I then went to the beach....It was a bit crowded, but not overly so. It was warm but not baking hot and there was a nice breeze....
In other words, a perfect day at the beach.
1f60e.png

Back