The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

Sounds like you have the AOS cream dialed in now.

Great shave!
A great shave Randall. Glad you are able to get the AoS Lemon to work!
Glad you got that AoS Lemon cream to work for you. I also have the matching aftershave balm, and it smells great initially, but fades before you even walk out the door. But that's actually not a bad thing because it allows for a non-competing post frag; and it's a rather nice feeling aftershave balm.
Excellent shave! Happy Sunday!
The AoS cream I have is really good stuff!! Nice shave
Great stuff Randall...glad to hear that you were able to dial the cream in from a hydration standpoint!
Great Shave Randall
Thanks, guys!

119/156 this morning.

Noonan razor and Mike's OCBP lather. Made a great lather with the Mike's and went to town. The Noonan is still sharp and smooth. I tried to get away with two passes by making the second pass (which has always been a mix of XTG and WTG) a lot more XTG than usual. Reduction was slightly better, but not good enough to omit the third pass.

Clean-up was with the same RFB NEW I used for the entire shave yesterday.

I got a great shave. The only place I'm still really having a bit of trouble with is the corners of the mouth and the skin just above the lateral sides of the lips. For whatever reason I'm unable to get this area completely clean. I watched a hundred videos and everybody makes it look so easy, but I can't figure out a way to flatten the skin there, or to flatten and tighten it enough to get it as close as I'd like it. I'm cleaning it up with the DE, so it's fine, but I'd love to figure out how to get it done with the straight.

Other than that, my shaves are very satisfying. Have a great Monday.

Still feel bad this guy can't just have some steak and eggs. That's all.

1f604.png

LOL.
Can't beat a great shave
Indeed.

Had to take an unplanned break from the straight this morning after I dropped a glass container in the bathroom and then spent the next 10 minutes making sure it was all cleaned up and no shards were remaining. I had a meeting at work I couldn't be late for. When I saw what time it was when I started the shave, I left the Noonan on the counter and used the RFB NEW. Two quick passes and touch-up later I had a DFS-. Used Soapy Science in DSB scent. Lovely lather.

So, I missed my straight razor, but I had a fine shave nonetheless.

Have a great day, gents.

You know, if you worked in the ED instead, you could have just rolled into that meeting unshaven and probably not even been questioned if your socks didn't match.

All in all Randall, that was a very good audible considering the circumstances. The Noonan will be waiting for you tomorrow morning!

A Randall without his Noonan shave is like a Randall without his win! Hope the day gets better for you!

Great couple of shaves Randall!

I've called a audible or two, or 12 when I was rushed for time.

You know, if you worked in the ED instead, you could have just rolled into that meeting unshaven and probably not even been questioned if your socks didn't match.
Ain't that the truth!

All in all Randall, that was a very good audible considering the circumstances. The Noonan will be waiting for you tomorrow morning!
Yep!

A Randall without his Noonan shave is like a Randall without his win! Hope the day gets better for you!
Thanks!

Great couple of shaves Randall!
I've called a audible or two, or 12 when I was rushed for time.
Did what I had to do.

So today, the 4th of July, I had the day off. So back to the Noonan, of course!

120/157

Used Ghost Town Barber. Since it was a holiday, I opted to only do two quick passes, and settled for an SAS+. No troubles at all.

I like the scent of GTB. I asked my wife to smell it again, since she was unimpressed the first time. I held some of the lather right up under her nose and she sniffed. She didn't have a pleased look on her face. I said, "Doesn't that smell good?" and she replied, "Not to me. Smells like I just walked into a house where old people live."

Her words, not mine, lol. I think the patchouli with the leather background is what conjured up this image for her. I smell the foreground scents more, especially the bergamot, so for me it remains very pleasant. I got a better lather this time, too, and it worked fine for the straight razor shave.

That's about it, folks. About to make some burgers. That's a 4th of July tradition at our house. Hope you have a good celebration planned.

I like the scent of GTB. I asked my wife to smell it again, since she was unimpressed the first time. I held some of the lather right up under her nose and she sniffed. She didn't have a pleased look on her face. I said, "Doesn't that smell good?" and she replied, "Not to me. Smells like I just walked into a house where old people live."

Her words, not mine, lol. I think the patchouli with the leather background is what conjured up this image for her. I smell the foreground scents more, especially the bergamot, so for me it remains very pleasant.
Well.....we are a bunch of old guys...

Smells like I just walked into a house where old people live."
I concur with her assessment. It smells so bad to me that just hearing you guys talk about it affects me physically as if I just smelled it again.

Well.....we are a bunch of old guys...
Speak for yourself, pal! ;-)

Great shave Randall!

We grilled burgers and hot dogs too!
Awesome. It's a tradition at my place. My eldest son texted me yesterday to say that he went to his fiancee's for the 4th of July and they were having Little Caesar's pizza! It's an outrage! lol

I concur with her assessment. It smells so bad to me that just hearing you guys talk about it affects me physically as if I just smelled it again.
Wow. Well, she'll be happy that she's not the only one who doesn't like it.

121/158 this morning.

Back to my ultimate comfort zone, I suppose, with Soapy Science LC scent and the Noonan. Three passes on the cheeks, 2 on the neck, a bit of touch-up; CCS+. I'm starting to wonder how much longer this edge can last without a refresh. I guess my stropping has really improved. It still feels plenty sharp and smooth, at least for now.

So, the only thing different this morning was a new-to-me aftershave. Yesterday my wife and I drove out to Smithfield, VA just for fun and to have lunch at a restaurant that was highly recommended by a friend. While we were there, we saw a soap shop called Perfectly Natural Soap. It is a company that apparently has its headquarters in Williamsburg, just up the road a bit.

Anyway, I didn't expect to see shaving stuff at all, but they make shave soaps, shave creams, and aftershaves in both splash and lotions. I have too much shave soap already so I didn't buy one. It is a vegan soap that has a pretty good ingredients list:

Stearic acid, water, avocado oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, potassium hydroxide, palm oil, aloe vera juice, coconut oil, glycerin, sodium hydroxide, castor oil, sodium lactate, bentonite clay, natural fragrance.

Sounds like it might be a reasonable soap, but like I said, I don't need soap right now.

Their aftershave splash was not really a typical alcohol-forward concoction. Ingredient list follows:

aloe leaf juice, witch hazel distillate, glycerin, polysorbate 20, natural fragrance, phenoxyethanol, tea tree leaf essential oil, citric acid, white willow bark extract, alcohol, tetrasodium EDTA.

So, mostly aloe, witch hazel, and glycerin. I don't have a bunch of aftershaves, and one of the scents (labelled Citrus Menthol Mint) intrigued me, so I grabbed a bottle of it and used it for the first time this morning. It was nice. The scent was really good. When I first put it on I thought there wasn't much menthol, but after a few seconds the menthol kicked in. I'd say it was a moderate amount. Nice stuff. It comes in 4 other scents, as well.

Anyway, that's about it for today. Have a good one.

Back