The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

Great review of GTB! I'm glad you liked it. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I do enjoy some of Chiseled Face other scents. Not so much for how it performs, but more for the novelty. Orange Creamsicle is one of my favorites!

Good stuff Randall!

What were the new strokes you tried during the shave?
Normally during clean-up I do a J-hook type of stroke with the DE that starts along the jawline near the chin, heads mostly back toward the ear but also down the neck, and makes a J at the end. I did that but without so much of the J. It was essentially a diagonal back and down stroke right along the jawline to about the middle of the neck.

Never tried anything like that before with the straight. Looked scary, but I used a light touch and it was very effective and didn't irritate me at all.

GTB - yes!!! I totally dig the scent of GTB; I've got the bar soap, shaving soap, aftershave, and EdP. But I will admit that the performance of all the Chiseled Face soaps that I've used, to include GTB, aren't "elite" status for me with a traditional straight. I mainly use a DE with GTB. But it's certainly good enough, and the scent alone makes it a "must have" for me.
Thanks for your thoughts. It worked pretty well for my straight shave, just didn't LOOK like it would.

Glad the scent worked for you and you had a good shave. To me their aftershave with it is a must. Welcome to the GTB Posse
Thanks, Dave! I really liked the scent a lot more than I thought I would. Thanks again for the PIF!

Great review of GTB! I'm glad you liked it. I'm not a huge fan of it, but I do enjoy some of Chiseled Face other scents. Not so much for how it performs, but more for the novelty. Orange Creamsicle is one of my favorites!
Hmmm....I may have to check out a sampler pack of the other scents.

Nice GTB shave. Today was my first use of it too.
What did you think of it?

Yeehaw!! Ride on brother!
Round 'em up, move 'em out!

Great shave and read Randall!

Good review of the GTB!
Thanks.

GTB FTW!! Great shave...the lather gets better when you load from a full tub Randall, though still not quite as dense as some of my elite level soaps such as Declaration, A&E or Wholly Kaw. (oh yea, or Noble Otter)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have so much soap right now that I won't be buying a full tub of anything for quite some time.

115/152 this morning.

For today's shave, I chose "What the Puck?" in the orange scent. Used the ZY again.

Don't know what happened, but today's shave was almost a chore, and certainly nowhere near as nice as yesterday's. No cuts or weepers or any real irritation, so not a complete disaster. Just didn't cut as well as it should have; reduction with each pass was suboptimal. Needed a lot more clean-up than usual.

Ended up CCS+, so the end result was OK, but the whole shave felt so different. I don't know whether it was the lather or whether I might've accidentally dulled the edge when I stropped it last night, or what.

I'll probably switch back to the Noonan for tomorrow, although it might be more instructive to stick with the ZY but use a different soap; if it feels good tomorrow then I'll know that today the lather was the issue.

I'll give it some thought and make a decision later tonight.

Have a great day, gents!

Darn, seems to be hit n miss with the ZY! Good job on at least pulling out a decent shave!

Tough one there...could have been a couple of different things causing that, or even that the soap was just a bit more sub-par than you're used to, and an edge that would be good with a great lather, but not so much otherwise.

Hmmm the What The Puck soaps have performed well for me.

Was this the 1st one that you have used?

Could you have been off on your angle?

Randall, I’m very behind and catching up, but I’m glad I caught your TV spot about ticks. I’m a spider lover, and a fan of most bugs, but ticks give me the willies. I have pulled 4 ticks off me in the last week. Hate them. They are lone star ticks, so very glad to know they aren’t carriers of Lyme. Thanks for the info.

Darn, seems to be hit n miss with the ZY! Good job on at least pulling out a decent shave!
Thanks. Yeah, I've had some of my best and some of my worst shaves with that ZY.

Bummer that your shave was off today. I hope that it was just something with the lather.
Me, too. Not sure yet, because I switched razors for today's shave.

Tough one there...could have been a couple of different things causing that, or even that the soap was just a bit more sub-par than you're used to, and an edge that would be good with a great lather, but not so much otherwise.
Perhaps. I'll fire up the ZY again soon enough and find out.

Rough shave today...perfect shave tomorrow!
Love the positivity!

Well, bummer about the soap issue - we've all had them.
Yep. I wonder if part of the problem is the tiny container the puck comes in? I mean, I get that it looks like a hockey puck, which is pretty clever, but it's tiny in diameter and there's no headroom whatsoever for lathering. Maybe I'll grate it into one of my empty wide-mouth jars and see if it makes a difference.

Hmmm the What The Puck soaps have performed well for me.

Was this the 1st one that you have used?

Could you have been off on your angle?
It's the first I've used, but not my first use of this puck of soap. See above answer to cmh737 for what I may do to narrow down the problem.

Randall, I’m very behind and catching up, but I’m glad I caught your TV spot about ticks. I’m a spider lover, and a fan of most bugs, but ticks give me the willies. I have pulled 4 ticks off me in the last week. Hate them. They are lone star ticks, so very glad to know they aren’t carriers of Lyme. Thanks for the info.
I'm happy that somebody learned something from that. Thanks for commenting.

Hope you have a better follow-up shave
Thanks. And, I actually did (see below).

116/153 this morning.

After yesterday, I decided to maximize my chances for a perfect shave this morning. So, I pulled out the Noonan and stropped it up, and then I went with Soapy Science in the Lollipop Citrus scent, since it has given me some of my best lathers overall. I changed my clean-up tool, too, from the Colonial General to my RFB NEW, which I haven't used in a long time. I loaded it up with a fresh Polsilver SI.

Went to work with the Noonan and immediately noticed that things were much better today. Lather? Razor? A combination of the two? Don't know.

But it was 3 passes on the cheeks, two on the neck with a bit of RFB NEW touch-up to CCS+/DFS-, without irritation, trouble, weepers, or anything of the sort.

Have a great day, gents!

Back