The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

Nice shave Randall, and sounds like a great time out on the course! Before I was married I played quite a bit, but haven't really had the chance to do so since being out here.

Good shave Randall!

$17 for a round and cart?! Are we talking mini-golf? Lol!

Glad you are having continued success with your SRs! Do you do any ATG shaving with them on the chin or upper lip? I need to see more video techniques for these areas! WTG and XTG are cake walks compared to the lunar jump that is an SR/shavette ATG stroke in the danger areas!
I have never done any true ATG with any tool. As a daily shaver, I don't see the necessity. I am always clean-shaven, even without an ATG pass. For me, the reward is not high enough to take the risk.
I would like to get just a bit more efficient, but I am not hunting BBS shaves with ATG passes.

97/134 today.

Mowed the lawn and did some other work outside on the yard, then showered and shaved. Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus provided a great lather. Used the Noonan for two passes and then did a bit of touch-up.

Everything went well except for one area just above the corner of the lip on the right side. This area is proving very difficult. I tried putting my tongue in there to flatten the area, but all I got out of it was irritation. I just can't seem to get the stubble there very well. Same problem on the left side, but not quite as bad, and I'm not sure why.

All other areas were irritation free. Overall, a good shave, but not my best.

Have a good day, gents.

The corner of the mouth can be tricky. Super easy to cut it or make it sensitive. Just have to over it very lightly.

98/135 today.

Another early afternoon shave (gotta love vacation, lol). First time I've done a straight razor shave without a shower first. I lathered up some What the Puck? in the orange scent, put some kind of haphazardly on my face, then held a hot washcloth over it for about 30 seconds, and then did that again.

After that I lathered up completely and went to it with the ZY razor. Two passes plus a bit of touch-up yielded a nice shave. It's not really close, but it's close enough for vacation!

Oh, and by the way, I got another 9 holes in yesterday evening at a gorgeous course in Suffolk. (Cost me $22 for the nine holes, and that was the twilight rate, just so you know that the $17 was a special deal.)

Hope you have had a great day.

Almost embarrassed to post that I got nine more holes of golf in this morning, walking this time. Weather was great. Had a string of for parts in a row. Missed a 5-Foot birdie putt and had two chips that almost went in; one hit the flag and the other stopped about four inches shy of the hole. Ended up with a 40, which isn't to too bad.

Anyway, after golf I showered and did straight razor shave number 99!
I used Soapy Science in the DSB scent and the ZY. Two passes to CCS and called it a good day. The LOTH walked in and out of the bathroom while I was shaving and seemed completely ok with the proceedings. I think she is essentially used to it now.

Tomorrow is the magical hundredth shave! Woo-hoo!

You aught to see if there’ll let you shave at the club! Start a new thing, free membership and golf rounds for life, just for being cool!

Great shave. Good luck with the big 1-0-0 tomorrow!

Nice shave Randall. I used the DSB today as well, I really enjoyed the nice minty scent with some great performance to boot! Nice round of golf there! 40 is nothing to sneeze at.

Drum roll, please. This morning was straight razor shave number 100 (count 'em, one hundred!), and open blade shave number 137.

I thought it only fitting for shave number 100 to use the razor that got me my first "Brut shave" (for those who don't recall, I received a tiny sample of Brut with my first straight from Whipped Dog, and decided to bust it out the first time I got to CCS with the straight). The razor in question? The same lowly ZY from yesterday.

I also decided to stick with the same soap today, just because I enjoyed it so much yesterday, so I went with Soapy Science is My Special Blend! (By the way, Josh, glad to hear that you like the scent, too!)

Anyway, on to the shave. Since I have been shaving in the afternoon but this morning I shaved at about 9 a.m., there wasn't a boatload of stubble. I loaded up the brush with some DSB and whipped up an awesome, fragrant lather. First pass went really well. SWMBO was at the sink next to me, and she made no comments at all except to mimic the scraping noise of the straight razor about halfway through my second pass. (Obviously, the sound of the straight is a lot different from that of a DE.)

Anyway, second pass went really well and I only had a tiny bit of clean-up along the jawline with my English flat-bottom Tech outfitted with a fresh new Posilver blade.

Final outcome? CCS+ to DFS, without any irritation whatsoever. A rousing success.

Thanks to all of you who encouraged me along the way. I never thought I would make it to 100. There was a time, about in the mid-20s or so, that I came very close to throwing in the towel, selling or binning my straights, and cursing the whole thing as a big mistake. Thanks to my stubbornness and your awesome encouragement, I made it to 100 instead. And I am enjoying it a great deal.

There was also a time that I thought my wife might force me to quit, but now she is completely accepting.

Have a great day, gents!

SWMBO was at the sink next to me, and she made no comments at all except to mimic the scraping noise of the straight razor about halfway through my second pass. (Obviously, the sound of the straight is a lot different from that of a DE.)

You have a comedian in the house, lol!

Congrats on the 100th! Way to go sport!

Congrats on reaching 100 Randall! The fact that SWMBO was mocking the sound makes me thing she's somewhat jealous of the process!

Back