The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

Aww man, my money was on you nailing it again anyway!

That's too bad about the razor...but if you don't have good tools, then you won't have a good end product.

Sorry to hear about the Tilquin, but at least you know you have a known performer in the wings waiting to go at a moments notice. Plus, you know you can whip out a good touch up with the Tech.

Aww man, my money was on you nailing it again anyway!
Sorry to disappoint!
That's too bad about the razor...but if you don't have good tools, then you won't have a good end product.
Truth.
Sorry to hear about the Tilquin, but at least you know you have a known performer in the wings waiting to go at a moments notice. Plus, you know you can whip out a good touch up with the Tech.
Precisely. Thanks.

106/143 this morning.

Back to Soapy Science in MY special blend, and I went with the ZY today. I don't know how long it has been since I touched it up (should I be keeping track??), but it felt a tiny bit less keen than I would have liked.

Despite that, I did three passes on the cheeks and got a great result. Two on the neck/jawline, with Tech touch-up, and I was good to go. I went S-N on the neck in that one patch where the hair grows that way. It feels less scary each time (I think this was only the third time I tried it).

I'm noticing that the places just around and just lateral to the corners of the mouth are the toughest places for first-pass reduction. I'm going to be experimenting a bit with angles, pressure, and direction in those areas in the coming weeks (I have learned to take a long view in this game).

On the plus side, I am now lathering my entire face for the second pass. (Previously, I lathered one side at a time because I was so slow that the lather would dry up.)

Onward and upward. Have a great day.

Today was my day off from open blade shaving.

I did a quick two-pass shave with my British flat-bottom Tech on a UFO Titan Fine L handle, with a Polsilver SI blade. I used Stirling peach.

In two passes I was DFS. My DE shaves are SO much better now that I've learned to shave with a straight razor.

Happy Father's Day to all.

107/144 this morning.

My son surprised me yesterday with a Father's Day gift of a tub of Art of Shaving cream in the sandalwood scent, so I had to fire that up this morning. I was afraid that I might be allergic to it, because I am allergic to a lot of trees and grasses, and I was right. It smells really good, but it doesn't agree with me.

I only used the cream that had stuck to the inside of the lid. The foam I got was airier and not as substantive as what I normally get with my soaps. Not having used AoS before I don't know whether I just didn't have enough product or whether this is its typical form. Despite being a foamier lather than I prefer, it was slick and seemed plenty protective. Post-shave face feel was actually very good.

I used the Noonan. I upped the second-pass efficiency to the point that I really didn't need a third pass, but I did a direct XTG nose-to-ear on both sides anyway, just for the heck of it.

A bit of jawline/low neck clean-up with a Colonial General and I was good to go. I had one small area of irritation on the mid-neck on the right side. I didn't notice anything unusual during the shave but about 5 minutes afterwards I noticed it.

Overall, though, a good shave. I'm going to have to take the cream back, though. The scent sticks around for a while. It smells great, but it made me sniff and sneeze for about an hour after the shave was over.

Have a great day.

Great shave Randall!

Bummer the scent didn't agree with you. The general consensus is that AOS is good stuff, but over priced.

Nice write-up Randall...sorry to hear that the AOS Sandalwood wasn't agreeing with your body chemistry. Might be worth checking out a some of their other scents and see if there's one that might work better for you.

Great Father’s Day!

Bummer about AOS Sandalwood not working for you, it remains my favorite scent and product, even though the performance might not be tippity top.

Definitely see if you can find a better suited scent!

It is a total bummer that the scent didn't agree with you. Definitely give the other scents a try. AOS cream is good stuff.

Oh, bad luck on the Sandalwood. That's a scent that posses a problem for many a wet shaver.

Bummer about the scent. Perhaps you could exchange it for a different scent at the store.

Great shave Randall!

Bummer the scent didn't agree with you. The general consensus is that AOS is good stuff, but over priced.
Thanks. I'll probably try to trade it for a different scent.

Nice write-up Randall...sorry to hear that the AOS Sandalwood wasn't agreeing with your body chemistry. Might be worth checking out a some of their other scents and see if there's one that might work better for you.
Roger that.
Great Father’s Day!

Bummer about AOS Sandalwood not working for you, it remains my favorite scent and product, even though the performance might not be tippity top.

Definitely see if you can find a better suited scent!
Thanks for the Father's Day wishes.

It is a total bummer that the scent didn't agree with you. Definitely give the other scents a try. AOS cream is good stuff.
Bingo. Hoping to get back to the store soon.
Roger that. And Happy Father's Day to you too, Randall.
Thanks.

Oh, bad luck on the Sandalwood. That's a scent that posses a problem for many a wet shaver.
Especially for those who are known allergic to cedar and juniper, like me. These allergies narrow the available scent profiles considerably for me, unfortunately.

108/145 this morning.

Back to Soapy Science. Went with Lollipop Citrus today. Got an amazing lather with this soap again. Could be just my imagination, but it seems that the lathers with LC are very slightly better than the ones I get with DSB. I know that doesn't make any sense and is unlikely to be systemically true, but probably 4 of the 5 best lathers I've had from Soapy Science were with the LC scent.

Anyway, used the trusty, reliable Noonan again this morning. Stropped it last night.

Got a great shave again today. First pass reduction is improving. I'm taking a slightly different angle/approach in the problem areas around the mouth and it worked out pretty well. Second pass was quick and effective. Did a direct XTG on both cheeks and then a little bit of clean-up with a Tech for a CCS+ to DFS- shave. Comfortable and smooth. A great start to a great day.

Have a good one, gents.

Back