The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

July Soap Theme: Shaves That Make You Feel Cool! - Or...Techichi/Ethos

Had a great summertime shave this morning that definitely left me feeling cool! The Osage followed up with Nor'easter splash was a brisk yet awesome way to finish up the shave. First time trying the Nor'easter profile and I very much enjoyed it.

img_20200723_125104-jpg.30553
What'd you do to that poor brush ? 🤪

What'd you do =to that poor brush ? [emoji2957]
You know, I really don't know! It's a first generation Plisson knot from back when L'Occitane first brought them to market, and it after 7 years both of my knots look flat on the top like that. I will admit that 80% or more of my shaves have been with those two knots.

Generally I think these are floppier than current generation synthetics but nothing I've tried has been able to get them to fluff back up. They still perform great but sure aren't looker's.

You know, I really don't know! It's a first generation Plisson knot from back when L'Occitane first brought them to market, and it after 7 years both of my knots look flat on the top like that. I will admit that 80% or more of my shaves have been with those two knots.

Generally I think these are floppier than current generation synthetics but nothing I've tried has been able to get them to fluff back up. They still perform great but sure aren't looker's.
Interesting. Never seen that happen before and was curious. Thanks for the explanation (y)

Interesting. Never seen that happen before and was curious. Thanks for the explanation (y)
I wish I knew how to fix it, but since it happened to both of those Plisson knots I have I think it must have something to do with the fibers they used.

It's just odd because I've always been under the assumption that synthetics aren't supposed to doughnut or flatten like this and while they aren't really developing a doughnut like a natural hair brush would with extended use in one direction, they most definitely are flat topped.

What'd you do to that poor brush ? 🤪

I was wondering the same thing? It's weird!

Razor: Feather - ASD2
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: The Sudsy Soapery - Lavender & Peppermint
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar

The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Classic After Shave - Lavender Pour Homme

1595591126387.png

I haven't quit the "Cool" Shaving Theme of the month yet. Went with Lavender and Peppermint from The Sudsy Soapery. It isn't the coldest of the "Cool" soaps I have...but it is a really nice feel to the skin. This scent in general is a "Power Scent" to me. It's classic in a way, very sophisticated, yet really simple. It's a scent you can wear during the day...or wear during the evening. It's nose catching and garners a lot of compliments...always. This scent profile is good stuff.

A a couple glugs of Lavender Pour Homme and I am ready for the trolls in the Elevator this morning!

24 July, 2020

Great shave today! Love the scent of Fine's "Lavender Pour Homme". Inspired by Czech & Speake's "Oxford & Cambridge", it captures the spirit of its more expensive cousin very well! The soap, as with all of Fine's products (IME) performed great, giving a nice, slick and cushioning shave base. Finished with an alum rub, the matching splash and couple of spritzes of the C&S cologne.

Hope you have a great day!!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / Fine "Lavender Pour Homme" Shave Soap / PAA "The Green Ray" Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim / Gillette 7 O'Clock Green
Alum / Fine "Lavender Pour Homme" Aftershave Splash / Czech & Speake "Oxford & Cambridge" EdC

IMG-4046.jpg

I wanted to chime in on the theme this month and take a feeling cool as let say to me heavy menthol?
But wanted to start with I will challenge hand down the most mentholated soap/aftershave!!
Razor-Schick Krona (thanks mrdoug)
Brush-WCS synthetic
Soap-Oleo Polar
Aftershave-Oleo Polar
Post shave serum (because you need this to cool it down) A @ E scented.

I do have to say the Oleo soap is perhaps THE hardest to lather!! I tried blooming,bowl lathering,tub lathering and it is hard. If anyone has another way to get a good lather please let me know .I think the menthol is so strong in this hard soap that makes it harder?

GO BUCKS!!!20200723_191335[1].jpg

• Pre-shave: Warm shower and apricot scrub
  • Razor: RR Wunderbar
  • Blade: Wizamet, new
  • Brush: DS Cosmetic green/blue
  • Soap: Stirling Weekend In Malibu w/ WS23
  • Aftershave: Stirling Weekend In Malibu Glacial
A lovely outdoor shave with a lovely scent. I added some WS23 to cool it down a touch and it was perfect.

IMG_20200724_133343.jpg

27 July, 2020

Great shave today! I wanted to see how cold I could make a shave so I laid the menthol from the "Chill Mill" down thick on the soap along with extra face prep from the "Ice Cube". Wow! Now THIS is menthol!!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Chill Mill" / PAA "Pineapple Bay Rum" Soap / Techichi Tech Hive / Merkur 42C "1904"
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / PAA "Pineapple Bay Rum" Aftershave Splash / PAA "Pineapple Bay Rum" EdP

IMG-4067.jpg

Razor: Feather - ASD2
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Iron Throne
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphrey's Witch Hazel

The Ultimate Aftershave: Proraso Aftershave Lotion (Green)

1595862218252.png

We are getting close to the end of the month, but the "Cool" shaving theme is still going strong. I thought I would pull out Iron Throne again. Really like the Bay and the Juniper in this soap...a lot. And now I am wishing I had bottles and bottles of Captain's Choice North to go along with this. When I get a chance...I will likely research aftershaves with juniper in it.

Several splashes of Proraso Green Aftershave and man does my face feel smooth and nourished! It's going to be a good day!

Tech Tuesday
Tuesday July 28, 2020
Razor: Gillette Tech
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Brush: TSC 2nd Anniversary Brush
Soap: @CBLSoap.com Ghost Lime
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Avon Island Lime
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Lothair

So I'm late to the COLD shave theme but going out stronk on the month. Starting off with CBL Ghost Lime YUMMMMMMMMM and performance to boot. The Tech is an amazing shaver and this is one of my favorite Tech's. Island Lime to cover the frost with more Lime and topped with one of my favorite Penhaligon's, Lothair. Have a Stellar Day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200728_063253078.jpg

28 July, 2020

A lose Italian themed shave this morning. Of course, I kicked things up an icy notch with the frigid tag team of "Chill Mill" crystals & "Ice Cube" prep soap. Finished with Proraso balm and a spritz of AdP Colonia. Great way to start the day.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Chill Mill" / PAA "Gondolier" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket
Merkur 42C / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Proraso Aftershave Balm / AdP "Colonia" EdC

IMG-4074.jpg

Wednesday July 29, 2020
Razor: Schick "G" Injector
Blade: Schick Chick (?)
Brush: Stuart / Timberwolf Knot
Soap: @CBLSoap.com Ghost Banana
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Avon Blend 7
Fragrance: CK ONE

On to another cool shave with another CBL Ghost scent. Yummmmmmmmm.
tenor (2).gif
3p91z.jpg
The Stuart brush is a must use with this soap and the G Injector did it's typical MAUVELOUS job. KJ raves about the Blend 7 and I have been remiss in not using it yet as I forget about grabbing my Avon's and should more often. To my nose it is similar to Brut. Not exactly but reminds me of it enough that when I applied it, that was what came to mind first. Nice but my favorite Avon's are still Island Lime and Leather. Will top with CK ONE before getting to the days activities. Have a STUPID Fun day Cadre !! The ER's are open 🤪
IMG_20200728_135124483.jpg

29 July, 2020

Approaching the end of another month and with it, another shave theme. Today's shave both "cool" (well, actually damn cold!) and vendor-centric. New razor today too. Picked up one of the Phoenix Shaving Double Open Comb (DOC) three-piece razors. Interesting design. Gave a great shave though!

Once again, the dynamic duo of Chill Mill & Ice Cube elevated the coldness of today's shave to epic proportions! Or, as @GearNoir put it, I "Emiriled" the s**t outta that soap with the menthol crystals!

a3684bfa-9f31-4c18-a442-839f4bfcfbff-gif.31069

The Tech Hive once again performed flawlessly! Great brush! If you don't have one yet, stop what you're doing and go get one!

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Chill Mill / PAA "Solstice" Shave Soap / Techichi Tech Hive Brush
PAA DOC Razor / Gillette Nacet / Alum / Ogallala "Bay Rum Sage & Cedar Aftershave Splash

IMG-4079.jpg

Last edited:
The Tech Hive once again performed flawlessly! Great brush! If you don't have one yet, stop what you're doing and go get one!

I completely agree with this sentiment. It's a great brush!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back