The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

July Soap Theme: Shaves That Make You Feel Cool! - Or...Techichi/Ethos

Razor: Feather - ASD2
Blade: Voshkod (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Iron Throne
Brush: Cashmere Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Ultimate Osage
The Ultimate Aftershave: Cold River Soap Works - Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion

1594726921938.png

I saw @BarberDave use his CBL Iron Throne the other day and thought that it is the perfect time to bring mine out too. Fits Perfectly with the July shave theme as the Real Menthol and the WS-12 Cooling Agent blend in symphony to create a wonderful chilling shave. Love this scent also and wish I had a perfect match an aftershave and beyond. But since this was last night's shave...I opted for an aftershave with a mild scent.

A couple splashes of Kyle @uacowboy 's concoction, Ultimate Osage, and the chill just kept on coming. Finished off my Shave with the CRSW Sandalwood Lotion and I went to bed dreaming of dolphins swimming into the sunset!

16 July, 2020

I keep forgetting about this thread!!

Another cooling shave today. Gonna feel like 105° or higher again so I went with Phoenix Shaving's "Cold Spices". Nice menthol kick on its own but I amped it up with the "Ice Cube 2.0" preshave soap. Frosty goodness!! Finished with a splash of the matching aftershave and a spritz of Stirling's "Stirling Spice" EdT.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Cold Spices" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" / 1968 Gillette Slim / Gillette Nacet
Alum / PAA "Cold Spices" Aftershave Splash / Stirling Soap Co. "Stirling Spice EdT

IMG-3982.jpg

Blade: Voskhod (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery with Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre
Brush: Tech Hive Synthetic Tuxedo Beehive 26mm Shaving Brush

The Ultimate Aftershave: Sudsy Soapery with Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre

1594989089765.png

Keeping the shave themes going I picked a "cool" set to shave with. Not so much in the way of freezing temps...though the aftershave does give you punch of cold menthol. Actually one of my colder aftershaves. But the cool factor comes with the sophistication of this scent. I don't know...to me the scent just plays wonderfully. The rose isn't too strong. The lemon isn't too sweet. And the Chypre...well...it is doing whatever that stuff does. It all comes together to make a really nice scent that I think can be worn day or night. The wife leaned over and said that she really enjoyed the scent and wondered why I didn't wear it more often. Score one for "The Don!"

Put the brush to the soap and lather pretty much exploded. Okay not really...but my effort was easy in part to the brush and the soap. This soap performs very well. Sudsy Soapery always made great soap...and for the longest time they only made veggie soaps (or at least non-tallow or animal fat soaps...I think they used lanolin though, which is really just wax from sheep wool). But a couple years ago they finally started making tallow based soaps and it really upped their game.

I ended up with a mostly BBS shave. Not too bad for a completely thoughtless shave. No irritation on the neck at all. So I am feeling pretty darn good. A healthy splash with the Lemon Rose Chypre aftershave and man...it feels good. When I first got this set I thought that the menthol freeze was super high! Now...as the aftershave has sat a while...I think the menthol has toned down a bit...but is still one of the coldest aftershaves in my den.

17 July, 2020

Great shave today! Loving the "Chill Mill" from Phoenix Shaving. Makes any soap you want mentholated! Nice thing to have if you're a "Menth Head" or on scorchers like today. Also using the Techichi Tech Hive synthetic along with the 1968 Slim I got from Techichi as well.

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Good Vibrations" Shave Soap / Techichi Tech Hive Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / PAA "Good Vibrations" Aftershave & Solid Cologne

IMG-3988.jpg

My first true "cool" shave is my first time trying the "new" Barbasol Pacific Rush now with caffeine and menthol. Haven't used a mentholated Barbasol since Arctic Chill many years ago. I don't necessarily buy anything from adding caffeine but the menthol was nice. Throw in my 3:1 blend of AV and Osage and it was a great and chilly shave here in 95 degree Chicagoland.

Going to start going by Mr. Barbasol here on TSC!

"Quick" SOTD July 18th 2020

Brush: Rudy Vey with Plisson knot
Razor : Schick Krona
Blade : Personna Lab
Cream : Barbasol Pacific Rush

f9321341699e40fe402146119e7be30f.jpg

Still using the Gillette Slim I bought from Don ( @Techichi ). Great shave today! The Phoenix Shaving "Ice Cube" preshave soap with the Chill Mill additive for the soap makes for one "cool" shave!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Al Fin" Shave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Fine "American Blend" Aftershave Balm & EdT

IMG-3996.jpg

My first true "cool" shave is my first time trying the "new" Barbasol Pacific Rush now with caffeine and menthol. Haven't used a mentholated Barbasol since Arctic Chill many years ago. I don't necessarily buy anything from adding caffeine but the menthol was nice.

Very nice! I'll have to check out the can of goo! Now if they will start making Pacific Rush Aftershave again...we will be in business!

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Chiseled Face - Cryogen
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Ultimate Osage

1595245678765.png

Not a lot of time this morning and a lot of it had to do with the shave. For my July 'Cool" themed shave I selected Cryogen. I mean...what cooler soap is there than Cryogen...right? Anyway, I haven't used Cryogen in a while...in a real long while. But this morning...loading my brush...I knew something was off. It just didn't load like other Chiseled Face soaps. But I went on. I face lather so on to the face I go. In retrospect...I think I should have bowl lathered this morning. Anyway...this stuff just did not want to go one evenly. Started to work some water in to build a lather. Man this soap just was really slow to build. I kept adding more and more water...and believe me it seemed like I was adding in buckets. After 15 minutes or so (yeah...not an exaggeration) I finally got a good lather. It took me a while...but I got there. All that being said...man was this stuff cold!

Decided to keep the freeze going and opted to use the Ultimate Osage that @uacowboy made for me. This is some really good juice! And Cold too! Here a glug, there a glug, everywhere a glug, glug! The scent is typical Osage...powdery...but it doesn't last all that long. So I will likely spay on some other stuff before I go to work...you know...for the people in the elevators.

Great shave today! Gotta say, that "Chill Mill" from Phoenix Shaving is one of the best shaving-related purchases I've ever made. Frosty start for a hot & humid day here in the south!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / Barrister's Reserve "Spice" Shave Soap / Techichi Tech Hive Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Barrister's Reserve "Spice" Aftershave Splash / P&G "Old Spice" EdC

IMG-4014.jpg

Monday July 20, 2020
Razor: Schick "G" Injector
Blade: Chick (?)
Brush: Cadre 2nd Anniversary with 70/30 Badger/Boar
Soap: Tonsorial Williams
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Barbasol Pacific Rush
Fragrance: Azzaro Visit
IMG_20200719_192352039.jpg

Very nice! I'll have to check out the can of goo! Now if they will start making Pacific Rush Aftershave again...we will be in business!
@Dave in KY and I were just mentioning the old PR splash a few days ago. Been a while since I've had a bottle as I naively used it up before realizing it wasn't being produced anymore, but from memory, the cream smells similar to that splash albeit much lighter.

SOTD July 20

Prep: Hot shower, Musgo Real Lime Glyce Soap, Proraso Red Pre-shave cream
Razor: Paradigm Diamondback
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket
Soap: CBL Iron Throne
Post-shave: Osma Tradition Alum Block, cold water rinse
After-Shave: Captain Smythe's Bay Rum
Talc: Borotalco
Fragrance: PAA Atomic Age EdP

The Iron Throne was plenty chilly!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Old School Cool shave today!
  • Bay Rum - CHECK!
  • Giant Cosmic Octopus - CHECK!
  • Vernean Space Ship - CHECK!
  • Face-freezing Chill Mill menthol crystals + "Ice Cube" preshave soap - CHECK!
  • 1968 Gillette Slim purchased from Don aka Techichi - CHECK!
Hard to get much "cooler"! :cool:

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette 7 O'clock Green Label / Alum / PAA "Atomic Age Bay Rum" Aftershave & EdP

IMG-4020.jpg

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Ghost Dragon's Blood
Brush: Purple & Geauxld Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Classic After Shave - Fresh Vetiver

1595418841941.png

The Cool theme continues and I decided to use CBL's Ghost Dragon Blood. Love this scent, but Chris really did well with the amount of cooling agents he put in this one. Definitely plenty to let you know it's there, but it doesn't freeze your face off completely. This is an interesting combination because the scent is really warm, but the cooling is frigid. I know CBL has their Iron Throne scent...but honestly I think Ghost Dragon's Blood is Fire and Ice!

A couple splashes of Fine Fresh Vetiver. I chose this after shave not because the scent matches with the soap...because it doesn't. I chose the Fresh Vetiver...well...as @bentheduck puts it...Reasons. 🤪 Anyway...I am fully prepared to enchant the few folk on the elevator at work this morning with this magical scent...mask and all!

22 July, 2020

Decided to go with the "Cool Green" of a fougere based shave today.Phoenix Shaving describes "St. Martin's Land" as a "Neo Barbershop" fragrance... I don't know about all that. To my nose it's a nice aromatic fougere with wood and herbaceous notes and a hint of spicy ginger. Good stuff! And the "Chill Mill" helped get it to the right level of frigid! Alum and Brut after shave balm closed out the shave and I finished with some of the Tom Ford "Fougere Platine" EdP sample. Nice scent but not sure it's "spend the scrilla on an entire bottle" nice..

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube" / PAA "St. Martin's Land" Shave Soap / PAA "The Starcraft" Brush / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green / Alum / Brut Aftershave Balm / Tom Ford "Fougere Platine" EdP sample

IMG-4024.jpg

23 July, 2020

Great shave today with the Techichi "Tech Hive" brush & the Techichi "Gillette Slim"! Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / Techichi "Tech Hive" Synthetic / PAA "CaD" Shave Soap / 1968 Gillette Slim
Gillette 7 O'Clock Green / Alum / PAA "CaD" Star Jelly & EdP

IMG-4032.jpg

Had a great summertime shave this morning that definitely left me feeling cool! The Osage followed up with Nor'easter splash was a brisk yet awesome way to finish up the shave. First time trying the Nor'easter profile and I very much enjoyed it.

img_20200723_125104-jpg.30553

Back